Fetchmail & 12.1

James Knott
I've set up fetchmail in openSUSE 12.1, but when I try to start it, I
get an error:
"/etc/init.d/fetchmail start returned 1 (unspecified error):"

I am using a fetchmailrc that worked previously in 11.0.  There is no
usefull info in /var/log/messages, other than fetchmail failed.

Re: Fetchmail & 12.1

scott-268
On Sun, Dec 04, 2011 at 10:05:26PM -0500, James Knott wrote:
> I've set up fetchmail in openSUSE 12.1, but when I try to start it,
> I get an error:
> "/etc/init.d/fetchmail start returned 1 (unspecified error):"
>
> I am using a fetchmailrc that worked previously in 11.0.  There is
> no usefull info in /var/log/messages, other than fetchmail failed.

do you specify a fetchmail log in .fetchmailrc?

--
sc

Re: Fetchmail & 12.1

James Knott
sc wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 04, 2011 at 10:05:26PM -0500, James Knott wrote:
>> I've set up fetchmail in openSUSE 12.1, but when I try to start it,
>> I get an error:
>> "/etc/init.d/fetchmail start returned 1 (unspecified error):"
>>
>> I am using a fetchmailrc that worked previously in 11.0.  There is
>> no usefull info in /var/log/messages, other than fetchmail failed.
> do you specify a fetchmail log in .fetchmailrc?

No, but I never have.  There is nothing in /var/log/fetchmail.

Re: Fetchmail & 12.1

Jeffrey L. Taylor-9
Quoting James Knott <[hidden email]>:
> I've set up fetchmail in openSUSE 12.1, but when I try to start it,
> I get an error:
> "/etc/init.d/fetchmail start returned 1 (unspecified error):"
>
> I am using a fetchmailrc that worked previously in 11.0.  There is
> no usefull info in /var/log/messages, other than fetchmail failed.

If you are running fetchmail as a normal user, try this:

fetchmail --quit
fetchmail --verbose --nodetach

Look at the output.  Stop it with control-C.  Fix any error, restart with the
second command.  Repeat as necessary.  When it is running properly,
"fetchmail" to start it running in the background again.

If running in multi-drop mode as the root user, someone else will have to help
you.

HTH,
  Jeffrey

Re: Fetchmail & 12.1

James Knott
Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
> fetchmail --quit
> fetchmail --verbose --nodetach
>
> Look at the output.  Stop it with control-C.  Fix any error, restart with the
> second command.  Repeat as necessary.  When it is running properly,
> "fetchmail" to start it running in the background again.

When I do that, it appears to be downloading a message, though that
message doesn't appear in my imap server.  Also, starting again in
System Services still generates the error.

Re: Fetchmail & 12.1

Jeffrey L. Taylor-9
Quoting James Knott <[hidden email]>:

> Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
> >fetchmail --quit
> >fetchmail --verbose --nodetach
> >
> >Look at the output.  Stop it with control-C.  Fix any error, restart with the
> >second command.  Repeat as necessary.  When it is running properly,
> >"fetchmail" to start it running in the background again.
>
> When I do that, it appears to be downloading a message, though that
> message doesn't appear in my imap server.  Also, starting again in
> System Services still generates the error.

Please show your configuration file.  I expect that fetchmail is fetching the
mail okay, but delivery is failing.  Maybe a changed path to procmail or
maildrop, or an no longer valid procmail/maildrop file.

Jeffrey

Re: Fetchmail & 12.1

James Knott
Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:

> Quoting James Knott<[hidden email]>:
>> I've set up fetchmail in openSUSE 12.1, but when I try to start it,
>> I get an error:
>> "/etc/init.d/fetchmail start returned 1 (unspecified error):"
>>
>> I am using a fetchmailrc that worked previously in 11.0.  There is
>> no usefull info in /var/log/messages, other than fetchmail failed.
>>
> If you are running fetchmail as a normal user, try this:
>
> fetchmail --quit
> fetchmail --verbose --nodetach
>
> Look at the output.  Stop it with control-C.  Fix any error, restart with the
> second command.  Repeat as necessary.  When it is running properly,
> "fetchmail" to start it running in the background again.
>
> If running in multi-drop mode as the root user, someone else will have to help
> you.

I can run fetchmail as a user.  However, neither method I have
previously used to start it at boot work in 12.1, as described in
another note.

Re: Fetchmail & 12.1

James Knott
Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
> Please show your configuration file.  I expect that fetchmail is fetching the
> mail okay, but delivery is failing.  Maybe a changed path to procmail or
> maildrop, or an no longer valid procmail/maildrop file.

It works OK when started as a user, using the configuration that has
worked for years.  I am unable to start it with System Services nor
after.local.  Both methods have worked well in earlier openSUSE versions.

Re: Fetchmail & 12.1

Jeffrey L. Taylor-9
Quoting James Knott <[hidden email]>:

> Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
> >Please show your configuration file.  I expect that fetchmail is fetching the
> >mail okay, but delivery is failing.  Maybe a changed path to procmail or
> >maildrop, or an no longer valid procmail/maildrop file.
>
> It works OK when started as a user, using the configuration that has
> worked for years.  I am unable to start it with System Services nor
> after.local.  Both methods have worked well in earlier openSUSE
> versions.

Are you using systemd or System V init?

Jeffrey

Re: Fetchmail & 12.1

Lars Müller
On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 06:40:04PM -0600, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:

> Quoting James Knott <[hidden email]>:
> > Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
> > >Please show your configuration file.  I expect that fetchmail is fetching the
> > >mail okay, but delivery is failing.  Maybe a changed path to procmail or
> > >maildrop, or an no longer valid procmail/maildrop file.
> >
> > It works OK when started as a user, using the configuration that has
> > worked for years.  I am unable to start it with System Services nor
> > after.local.  Both methods have worked well in earlier openSUSE
> > versions.
>
> Are you using systemd or System V init?
I strongly suggest to stop the discussion at this point as we had the
same discussion leading to no real outcome as part of this thread
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2011-12/msg00279.html too.

At the end I suggested James to file a bug report at bugzilla.novell.com
where he's able to structure all the information he already provided to
us in a much nicer and easier to handle way.

Thanks.

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]
Samba Team

Re: Fetchmail & 12.1

James Knott
Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
>> It works OK when started as a user, using the configuration that has
>> >  worked for years.  I am unable to start it with System Services nor
>> >  after.local.  Both methods have worked well in earlier openSUSE
>> >  versions.
>> >
> Are you using systemd or System V init?
At the moment, system v, as networking is unreliable with systemd (bug
#736059).  Fetchmail works fine with system v.

Re: Fetchmail & 12.1

Lars Müller
On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 10:16:27PM -0500, James Knott wrote:
> Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
> >>It works OK when started as a user, using the configuration that has
> >>>
> >Are you using systemd or System V init?
> At the moment, system v, as networking is unreliable with systemd
> (bug #736059).  Fetchmail works fine with system v.

As written yesterday please file a bug report for fetmail failing with
systemd.  In this defect report add pointers to the list archive at
http://lists.openSUSE.org/opensuse/ too.

Please do this else these both threads had been wasted energy up to 50%.

Thanks.

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]
Samba Team

Re: Fetchmail & 12.1

James Knott
Lars Müller wrote:

>>> Are you using systemd or System V init?
>> At the moment, system v, as networking is unreliable with systemd
>> (bug #736059).  Fetchmail works fine with system v.
> As written yesterday please file a bug report for fetmail failing with
> systemd.  In this defect report add pointers to the list archive at
> http://lists.openSUSE.org/opensuse/ too.
>
> Please do this else these both threads had been wasted energy up to 50%.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Lars

Bug #736092

Re: Fetchmail & 12.1

Lars Müller
On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 06:13:00PM -0500, James Knott wrote:

> Lars Müller wrote:

> >>At the moment, system v, as networking is unreliable with systemd
> >>(bug #736059).  Fetchmail works fine with system v.
> >As written yesterday please file a bug report for fetmail failing with
> >systemd.  In this defect report add pointers to the list archive at
> >http://lists.openSUSE.org/opensuse/ too.
> >
> >Please do this else these both threads had been wasted energy up to 50%.
>
> Bug #736092
I've added a link to the starting point of this thread.  Please be this
nice and add the references to the starting point in the other thread
where systemd had been a topic as well.  You find the list archive at
http://lists.openSUSE.org/opensuse/

The intention is to save Frederic some time.

Thanks.

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]