Factory miniiso dies during startup

Joerg Mayer
I just downloaded the factory miniiso. After I booted it I selected
netinstall
http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/

After the image is downloaded things look like this (on vt3):

===============================
dns: ftp.gwdgf.de is 134.76.11.100
"/pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/i386/root"
http: /pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/root (83927040 bytes)
cramfs: "root 81960"
image size: 81960 kB
mount: /download/image0: we need a loop device
mount: using /dev/loop0
http: /pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/content (7519 bytes)
http: /pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/info.txt (868 bytes)
http: /pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/license.zip (5479 bytes)
http: /pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/control.xml (28357 bytes)
/download/image1 removed
starting setctsid `showconsole` inst_setup yast
install program exit code is 127
opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source
/fdownload/image0 removed
===============================

(typos are mine).

I've also tried to use safe settings, vesa and text console: Same
result.

Ideas how to get things running (or at least debug them further).
Oh, the System is an IBM/Lenovo thinkpad z60 with dual core processor.

 Ciao
     Joerg
--
Joerg Mayer                                           <[hidden email]>

Re: Factory miniiso dies during startup

Joerg Mayer
On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 12:46:39PM +0200, Joerg Mayer wrote:

> I just downloaded the factory miniiso. After I booted it I selected
> netinstall
> http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/
>
> After the image is downloaded things look like this (on vt3):
>
> ===============================
> dns: ftp.gwdgf.de is 134.76.11.100
> "/pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/i386/root"
> http: /pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/root (83927040 bytes)
> cramfs: "root 81960"
> image size: 81960 kB
> mount: /download/image0: we need a loop device
> mount: using /dev/loop0
> http: /pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/content (7519 bytes)
> http: /pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/info.txt (868 bytes)
> http: /pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/license.zip (5479 bytes)
> http: /pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/control.xml (28357 bytes)
> /download/image1 removed
> starting setctsid `showconsole` inst_setup yast
> install program exit code is 127
> opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source
> /fdownload/image0 removed
> ===============================
>
> (typos are mine).
>
> I've also tried to use safe settings, vesa and text console: Same
> result.
>
> Ideas how to get things running (or at least debug them further).
> Oh, the System is an IBM/Lenovo thinkpad z60 with dual core processor.

Sorry: T60, not Z60

--
Joerg Mayer                                           <[hidden email]>

Re: Factory miniiso dies during startup

Andreas Jaeger
Joerg Mayer <[hidden email]> writes:

> I just downloaded the factory miniiso. After I booted it I selected
> netinstall
> http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/

The installation repository in factory is broken right now, we're
working on fixing it.

For now I advise to use the Alpha2 tree,

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, [hidden email], http://www.suse.de/~aj/

On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 01:23:29PM +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> Joerg Mayer <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > I just downloaded the factory miniiso. After I booted it I selected
> > netinstall
> > http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/
>
> The installation repository in factory is broken right now, we're
> working on fixing it.
>
> For now I advise to use the Alpha2 tree,

How do I do a network install of the Alpha2 tree? It looks like there
are only isos available.

 ciao
    Joerg

--
Joerg Mayer                                           <[hidden email]>

Re: Factory miniiso dies during startup

Andreas Jaeger
Joerg Mayer <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 01:23:29PM +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
>> Joerg Mayer <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>> > I just downloaded the factory miniiso. After I booted it I selected
>> > netinstall
>> > http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/
>>
>> The installation repository in factory is broken right now, we're
>> working on fixing it.
>>
>> For now I advise to use the Alpha2 tree,
>
> How do I do a network install of the Alpha2 tree? It looks like there
> are only isos available.
Argh - you're right :-(  Sorry.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, [hidden email], http://www.suse.de/~aj/

Re: Factory miniiso dies during startup

Hans-Peter Jansen-2
Am Montag, 7. August 2006 15:04 schrieb Joerg Mayer:
> On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 01:23:29PM +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> >
> > For now I advise to use the Alpha2 tree,
>
> How do I do a network install of the Alpha2 tree? It looks like there
> are only isos available.

No problem, if you have a local server runing and willing to download
the isos.

If both premises can be fullfilled, ask back..

Pete

Re: Factory miniiso dies during startup

Richard (MQ)
> No problem, if you have a local server runing and willing to download
> the isos.
>
> If both premises can be fullfilled, ask back..
>
> Pete

Hi Pete,

I didn't see any response from the OP (I may have missed it though :( ),
but I'm keen to try again for a network install. I have a number of
machines available to act as server, mainly running recent SuSE /
openSuSE Linux. The main machine offers NFS and Samba shares already.

I've tried several times in the past to use network install - I think
the most recent was for 10.0 - and every time it's gone pear shaped.

I'd appreciate any advice or pointers?

--
Thanks and regards
Richard Meek

Network Install WAS: Re: Factory miniiso dies during startup

Hans-Peter Jansen-2
Am Mittwoch, 9. August 2006 11:28 schrieb Richard Meek:

> > No problem, if you have a local server runing and willing to
> > download the isos.
> >
> > If both premises can be fullfilled, ask back..
> >
> > Pete
>
> Hi Pete,
>
> I didn't see any response from the OP (I may have missed it though :(
> ), but I'm keen to try again for a network install. I have a number
> of machines available to act as server, mainly running recent SuSE /
> openSuSE Linux. The main machine offers NFS and Samba shares already.
>
> I've tried several times in the past to use network install - I think
> the most recent was for 10.0 - and every time it's gone pear shaped.
>
> I'd appreciate any advice or pointers?

Well, I do it most of the time when it comes to installing SuSE.
OTOH, I really prefer diskless setups, where
 - installation happens once on the server
 - add the client to the pool
 - been done
But that's different story...

Back on topic:

While this text is pretty old, it's nevertheless helpful as an overview:
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Network_Installation_of_SuSE_Linux_via_PXE_Boot

Here's, what I do at a quick glance:
 * loop mount all isos, and copy the files:
   cp -a /mnt/* /srv/suse/10.2/cd{1..5}
   alternatively download and use the inst-source tree directly (you may
   need to adjust some paths accordingly)

 * mkdir /tftpboot (or symlink)

 * cp /usr/lib/grub/pxegrub /tftpboot
   I use grub to netboot my systems, but there are some alternatives
   Most important: your NIC is supported by grub (e.g. I've patches for
   newer, but possibly not newest e1000)

 * cp /srv/suse/10.2/cd1/boot/loader/{linux,initrd,message,memtest}  \
   /tftpboot

 * install atftp and activate tftp server:
   either in /etc/xinetd.d/tftp or insserv atftpd; rcatftpd start

 * export /srv/suse/10.2 in /etc/exports:
/srv/suse/10.2 *.local.domain(ro,async,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)

 * start nfs server (or exportfs -r)

 * edit /etc/dhcpd.conf accordingly (1.2.3.4: server):

--8<--
option space grub;
option grub-cfg code 150 = text;

group {
  option broadcast-address 1.2.3.255;
  option routers 1.2.3.1;

  host test {
        fixed-address test.local.domain;
        hardware ethernet 00:11:22:33:44:55;
        filename "pxegrub";
        option grub-cfg "(nd)/test.conf";
  }
}
-->8--

   dhcp server must be restarted after each modification

 * create /tftpboot/test.conf accordingly:

--8<--
default 0
gfxmenu (nd)/message
timeout 8

title harddisk
    root (hd0)
    chainloader +1

title suse10.2
    kernel (nd)/linux vga=791 ramdisk_size=65536 console=ttyS0,19200 \
console=tty0 usedhcp=1 install=nfs://1.2.3.4/srv/suse/10.2/cd1
    initrd (nd)/initrd

title memtest86
    kernel (nd)/memtest
-->8--

   This setup allows you to watch your client boot via serial console,
   which could be very handy, if you're experiencing mysterious
   installation behavior.

 * boot client
 * activate pxe in bios
 * watch servers syslog
 * enjoy ;-)

Ask back, if things break.

Hth,
Pete

Re: Network Install WAS: Re: Factory miniiso dies during startup

Richard (MQ)
Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:

> [...]
> }
> -->8--
>
>    dhcp server must be restarted after each modification
>
>  * create /tftpboot/test.conf accordingly:
>
> --8<--
> default 0
> gfxmenu (nd)/message
> timeout 8
>
> title harddisk
>     root (hd0)
>     chainloader +1
>
> title suse10.2
>     kernel (nd)/linux vga=791 ramdisk_size=65536 console=ttyS0,19200 \
> console=tty0 usedhcp=1 install=nfs://1.2.3.4/srv/suse/10.2/cd1
>     initrd (nd)/initrd
>
> title memtest86
>     kernel (nd)/memtest
> -->8--
>
>    This setup allows you to watch your client boot via serial console,
>    which could be very handy, if you're experiencing mysterious

This looks comprehensive - and is a very different approach to my
earlier (failed) efforts. I'll give it a try over the weekend...
--
Many thanks
Richard.

Re: Network Install WAS: Re: Factory miniiso dies during startup

Joerg Mayer
On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 06:23:45PM +0200, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
[very comprehensible solution deleted]

Thanks! Unfortunately, I was really trying to do a complete net-install
without downloading the isos first (the only other machine available on
that network was a windows laptop). So it came down to doing a 10.1
install instead of a factory/alpha install which I would have preferred
very much.

Ciao
     Joerg
--
Joerg Mayer                                           <[hidden email]>

Re: Network Install WAS: Re: Factory miniiso dies during startup

Stanislav Visnovsky-2
Dňa St 9. August 2006 18:23 Hans-Peter Jansen napísal:

> Am Mittwoch, 9. August 2006 11:28 schrieb Richard Meek:
> > > No problem, if you have a local server runing and willing to
> > > download the isos.
> > >
> > > If both premises can be fullfilled, ask back..
> > >
> > > Pete
> >
> > Hi Pete,
> >
> > I didn't see any response from the OP (I may have missed it though :(
> > ), but I'm keen to try again for a network install. I have a number
> > of machines available to act as server, mainly running recent SuSE /
> > openSuSE Linux. The main machine offers NFS and Samba shares already.
> >
> > I've tried several times in the past to use network install - I think
> > the most recent was for 10.0 - and every time it's gone pear shaped.
> >
> > I'd appreciate any advice or pointers?
>
> Well, I do it most of the time when it comes to installing SuSE.
> OTOH, I really prefer diskless setups, where
>  - installation happens once on the server
>  - add the client to the pool
>  - been done
> But that's different story...
>
> Back on topic:
>
> While this text is pretty old, it's nevertheless helpful as an overview:
> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Network_Installation_of_SuSE_Linux_via_PXE_Boot
>
> Here's, what I do at a quick glance:
>  * loop mount all isos, and copy the files:
>    cp -a /mnt/* /srv/suse/10.2/cd{1..5}
>    alternatively download and use the inst-source tree directly (you may
>    need to adjust some paths accordingly)

Or use YaST installation server module. The one from SLE10 or 10.1 supports
both the new and the old package manager.

Stano

>  * mkdir /tftpboot (or symlink)
>
>  * cp /usr/lib/grub/pxegrub /tftpboot
>    I use grub to netboot my systems, but there are some alternatives
>    Most important: your NIC is supported by grub (e.g. I've patches for
>    newer, but possibly not newest e1000)
>
>  * cp /srv/suse/10.2/cd1/boot/loader/{linux,initrd,message,memtest}  \
>    /tftpboot
>
>  * install atftp and activate tftp server:
>    either in /etc/xinetd.d/tftp or insserv atftpd; rcatftpd start
>
>  * export /srv/suse/10.2 in /etc/exports:
> /srv/suse/10.2 *.local.domain(ro,async,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)
>
>  * start nfs server (or exportfs -r)
>
>  * edit /etc/dhcpd.conf accordingly (1.2.3.4: server):
>
> --8<--
> option space grub;
> option grub-cfg code 150 = text;
>
> group {
>   option broadcast-address 1.2.3.255;
>   option routers 1.2.3.1;
>
>   host test {
>         fixed-address test.local.domain;
>         hardware ethernet 00:11:22:33:44:55;
>         filename "pxegrub";
>         option grub-cfg "(nd)/test.conf";
>   }
> }
> -->8--
>
>    dhcp server must be restarted after each modification
>
>  * create /tftpboot/test.conf accordingly:
>
> --8<--
> default 0
> gfxmenu (nd)/message
> timeout 8
>
> title harddisk
>     root (hd0)
>     chainloader +1
>
> title suse10.2
>     kernel (nd)/linux vga=791 ramdisk_size=65536 console=ttyS0,19200 \
> console=tty0 usedhcp=1 install=nfs://1.2.3.4/srv/suse/10.2/cd1
>     initrd (nd)/initrd
>
> title memtest86
>     kernel (nd)/memtest
> -->8--
>
>    This setup allows you to watch your client boot via serial console,
>    which could be very handy, if you're experiencing mysterious
>    installation behavior.
>
>  * boot client
>  * activate pxe in bios
>  * watch servers syslog
>  * enjoy ;-)
>
> Ask back, if things break.
>
> Hth,
> Pete

Best regards,

Stanislav Visnovsky

Re: Network Install WAS: Re: Factory miniiso dies during startup

Hans-Peter Jansen-2
Hi Stano,

Am Donnerstag, 10. August 2006 08:31 schrieb Stanislav Visnovsky:
> Dňa St 9. August 2006 18:23 Hans-Peter Jansen napísal:
> >  * loop mount all isos, and copy the files:
> >    cp -a /mnt/* /srv/suse/10.2/cd{1..5}
> >    alternatively download and use the inst-source tree directly
>
> Or use YaST installation server module. The one from SLE10 or 10.1
> supports both the new and the old package manager.

The begs for two questions:
 * What does it buy us?
 * Why do you quote the full message, while commenting on a single item?

Pete

Re: Network Install WAS: Re: Factory miniiso dies during startup

Stanislav Visnovsky-2
Dňa Št 10. August 2006 10:57 Hans-Peter Jansen napísal:

> Hi Stano,
>
> Am Donnerstag, 10. August 2006 08:31 schrieb Stanislav Visnovsky:
> > Dňa St 9. August 2006 18:23 Hans-Peter Jansen napísal:
> > >  * loop mount all isos, and copy the files:
> > >    cp -a /mnt/* /srv/suse/10.2/cd{1..5}
> > >    alternatively download and use the inst-source tree directly
> >
> > Or use YaST installation server module. The one from SLE10 or 10.1
> > supports both the new and the old package manager.
>
> The begs for two questions:
>  * What does it buy us?

A proper way to set up a network installation source?

>  * Why do you quote the full message, while commenting on a single item?

Because I've tried to comment on the rest of the mail, but then changed my
mind and forgot to remove the unneeded parts. Sorry for that.

Stano