[FPR] Home page content

Frank Sundermeyer
Hi,

from what was said on the "3rd stage: modifications" thread I conclude
that everyone is happy with the _layout_ of the new home page (the
splash screen is another matter ;-)):

http://www.suse.de/~fs/opensuse/home.html

So I would suggest to close discussions on the layout of _this_ page and
start focusing on the content.

Rajko has already made an alternative proposal with considerably less
text - please see:
http://files.opensuse.org/opensuse/en/3/33/Frontpage-simple-005.png

His comments:

--
Regards
        Frank

Frank Sundermeyer, SUSE LINUX GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg
Tel: +49-911-74053-0, Fax: +49-911-7417755;  http://www.novell.com/

Re: [FPR] Home page content

Rajko M.
Frank Sundermeyer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> from what was said on the "3rd stage: modifications" thread I conclude
> that everyone is happy with the _layout_ of the new home page (the
> splash screen is another matter ;-)):
>
> http://www.suse.de/~fs/opensuse/home.html
>
> So I would suggest to close discussions on the layout of _this_ page and
> start focusing on the content.
>
> Rajko has already made an alternative proposal with considerably less
> text - please see:
> http://files.opensuse.org/opensuse/en/3/33/Frontpage-simple-005.png
>
> His comments:
>
>> 1- "the world's most usable Linux" is mentioned twice in one
>> paragraph. No need to mention that it is in any language considered
>> problematic.
>> 2- "The program provides anyone with free and easy
>> access to the world's most usable Linux distribution"
>>         then later
>> "We work together to create and distribute the world's most usable
>> Linux" We either have it, or we are creating it.
>> Can't be both.
>>
>> 3-"There are many ways you can participate in the openSUSE project.
>> First you should get a copy of SUSE Linux and install it on your
>> machine." Visitor can see two paragraphs right below that tell the
>> same, so this is redundant.
>>
>> 4-"Here at openSUSE.org, you'll find a community of developers, end
>> users, and other open source enthusiasts who all have the same goal
>> in mind" "Other open source enthusiasts" might be business owners,
>> but opensuse.org is non commercial site, and it is hard to imagine
>> that any will appear.

Thinking a lot how to actually make it appealing to "other open source
enthusiasts" and make them to appear.

Possible solution is a web store, but who will take care of technicalities?

<snip>

Let me add few words, about the elements that I didn't mentioned.

"Getting openSUSE"
speaks for itself, so intro sentence is not necessary.

"Participate in openSUSE"
In the intro sentence slipped "... for you to participate ...", it is
better English without "for you". The rest will be explained after
clicking on links.

"Report a Bug"
Again, shorter is sweeter, as main show starts when visitor clicks the
link.

"openSUSE Graphics"
title should be actually "Spread the Word!", and then about the ways how
to do it. First subtitle might be "openSUSE Graphics".

"Article of the Month" is good as is. It will be changed on regular
basis, anyway.

Basically I'm satisfied with central portion of the screen with reduced
text quantity. But left and right really need to be reorganized. Both
panels are small problems, how to put on the top portion, that is
reachable without scrolling, everything that is important. Now I
understand better, selection of links (names) and underlaying pages on
the web.

I cut the content just to bring up what I consider important: News
section on right, and Wiki Toolbox on left, but selection and position
of links is not solved.

I'll try to find time this weekend to modify Franks proposal for left
and right side to include all relevant, but with modifications of
underlaying pages too.

Here is first idea:

openSUSE

    * Overview (below is on the linked page)
    <Overview text>
        Than few links for activities.
    * Support (below is on the linked page)
    * Documentation
    * Wiki Support Database
    * Community Support (Communicate)
    * Contact
    * Sitemap

Participate
    * Download
    * Report a Bug
    * Participate (below is on the linked page)
    * Projects
    * Tasks / Jobs
    * Teams
    * Communicate (below is on the linked page)
    * Report a Bug
        * Comments
        * Proposals
    * Development (below is on the linked page)
    * Projects
    * Tasks / Jobs
    * Teams
    * Build Service

With this, links will be grouped more or less logically, like Download
and Report a Bug close to each other and in the Participate group.

Download is actually act of participation in openSUSE project.
With more optional (in distribution) built in reporting tools it will be
real participation, but this deserves separate thread.

Rajko.
Visit http://en.opensuse.org/MiniSUSE

Re: [FPR] Home page content

Rajko M.
Frank Sundermeyer wrote:

<snip>
What we missed to include is "Powered by openSUSE".

BTW, the content is easy to change, so there is no reason not to make
change in home page, and continue discussing the rest.