[FPR] 4th (final?) stage

Frank Sundermeyer
Hi,

before I go on a two week vacation, I would like to revitalize the front
page redesign discussion.

I have added two new proposals (with minor changes):

http://www.suse.de/~fs/opensuse/home.html
http://www.suse.de/~fs/opensuse/splash.html

and - in cased the majority on this list agrees - would like to hand the
home page proposal over to Martin Lasarsch, so he van coordinate
translation.

As always, a few explanations:

* Home page:
  Rajko proposed to shorten the right and left nav, by setting up
  additional pages listing further links. Although I think this is a
  good idea, I would propose to postpone this until the page is live,
  because it would add more pages that need to be translated

* Splash screen:
  It is my impression that the discussion never came to a conclusion
  before it stopped. So I would propose to go live with what I suggested
  above and to evaluate other users' feedback.
  darix and I will also evaluate whether it is possible to add the
  access statistics to each language link on the start page

--
Regards
        Frank

Frank Sundermeyer, SUSE LINUX GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg
Tel: +49-911-74053-0, Fax: +49-911-7417755;  http://www.novell.com/

Re: [FPR] 4th (final?) stage

jdd@dodin.org
Frank Sundermeyer a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> before I go on a two week vacation, I would like to revitalize the front
> page redesign discussion.

I like this. May be a little too many things, but nicely
organised this is less a problem

for the hub search box, may be in place of the name of the
language use the word "search" and his translated
equivalents, it's not obvious it's a search box :-)
("search" for english, "Chercher" for french...)

and does it search all through the wiki or only the relevant
langage?

and IMHO the difference between this page and the present
one are not major, you can set it up and let the translators
do they job at will

thanks
jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://lucien.dodin.net

with best regards from Russia

Re: [FPR] 4th (final?) stage

Boyd Lynn Gerber

Re: [FPR] 4th (final?) stage

Christoph Thiel
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Frank Sundermeyer wrote:

> I have added two new proposals (with minor changes):
>
> http://www.suse.de/~fs/opensuse/home.html
> http://www.suse.de/~fs/opensuse/splash.html
>
> and - in cased the majority on this list agrees - would like to hand the
> home page proposal over to Martin Lasarsch, so he van coordinate
> translation.

+1 for both :)

Regards
        Christoph

Re: [FPR] 4th (final?) stage

Peter Flodin
On 8/24/06, jdd <[hidden email]> wrote:
> for the hub search box, may be in place of the name of the
> language use the word "search" and his translated
> equivalents, it's not obvious it's a search box :-)
> ("search" for english, "Chercher" for french...)

We could borrow further from www.wikipedia.org and have a line in
small pale green font above or below the box with:
Search • Suche • Rechercher • Szukaj • 検索 • Zoeken • Ricerca • Sök •
Busca • Buscar • Поиск

Pflodo
Peter Flodin
N�����r��y隊Z)z{.��"�/��˛���m�)z{.��+�Z+i�b�*'jW(�f�vǦj)h���ǰ�H���i�������

Re: [FPR] 4th (final?) stage

Rajko M.
Frank Sundermeyer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> before I go on a two week vacation, I would like to revitalize the front
> page redesign discussion.
>
> I have added two new proposals (with minor changes):
>
> http://www.suse.de/~fs/opensuse/home.html
> http://www.suse.de/~fs/opensuse/splash.html
>
> and - in cased the majority on this list agrees - would like to hand the
> home page proposal over to Martin Lasarsch, so he van coordinate
> translation.
>
> As always, a few explanations:
>
> * Home page:
>   Rajko proposed to shorten the right and left nav, by setting up
>   additional pages listing further links. Although I think this is a
>   good idea, I would propose to postpone this until the page is live,
>   because it would add more pages that need to be translated

I have to agree, as middle section looks good now, and in the mean time
we can organize second level pages that we need anyway, and then just
incorporate in main.

Typos:
- community of user and developers
+ community of users and developers

- there are many ways for you to participate in the openSUSE project
+ there are many ways to participate in the openSUSE project

> * Splash screen:
>   It is my impression that the discussion never came to a conclusion
>   before it stopped. So I would propose to go live with what I suggested
>   above and to evaluate other users' feedback.
>   darix and I will also evaluate whether it is possible to add the
>   access statistics to each language link on the start page

For the splash screen search I would go with search in all of the wikis.

The graphic is still too simple, and somehow I like more one where the
search box is on left side of the screen with place for sorted list of
all languages, or links to the search in different languages.

Rajko.

Re: [FPR] 4th (final?) stage

Frank Sundermeyer
On Wednesday 23 August 2006 16:10, jdd wrote:
> Frank Sundermeyer a écrit :

Hi,

> > before I go on a two week vacation, I would like to revitalize the
> > front page redesign discussion.
>
> I like this. May be a little too many things, but nicely
> organised this is less a problem

OK, so we will go with the current proposal (minus the typos ;-) ). Lots
of thanks to everyone who helped to make this happen!
BTW:
Any suggestions for "Featured Article" other than the one I proposed
(Open-iSCSI)?

> for the hub search box, may be in place of the name of the
> language use the word "search" and his translated
> equivalents, it's not obvious it's a search box :-)
> ("search" for english, "Chercher" for french...)

thanks to everybody who reminded me - I forgot to add it. Here it comes:

http://www.suse.de/~fs/opensuse/splash.html

I have also used a bigger font-size for the English entry - not sure
about that...

> and does it search all through the wiki or only the relevant
> langage?

My idea is to only search the wiki the user specifies (language
selector). I have also added an "All Wikis" entry now, but I do not
know whether this will work (I doubt that). darix?

> and IMHO the difference between this page and the present
> one are not major, you can set it up and let the translators
> do they job at will

I would rather have at least the changes for the left nav online for
each language before making the switch.

--
Regards
        Frank

Frank Sundermeyer, SUSE LINUX GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg
Tel: +49-911-74053-0, Fax: +49-911-7417755;  http://www.suse.de/
Reality is always controlled by the people who are most insane Dogbert

Re: [FPR] 4th (final?) stage

jdd@dodin.org
Frank Sundermeyer a écrit :

> http://www.suse.de/~fs/opensuse/splash.html
>
> I have also used a bigger font-size for the English entry - not sure
> about that...

may be not. if we could have the page number (approx) to
give a hint (do not need to be precise)

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://lucien.dodin.net

Re: [FPR] 4th (final?) stage

Christian Boltz-5

Am Mittwoch, 23. August 2006 15:31 schrieb Frank Sundermeyer:
> before I go on a two week vacation, I would like to revitalize the
> front page redesign discussion.
>
> I have added two new proposals (with minor changes):

Both look good - with some minor exceptions.

> http://www.suse.de/~fs/opensuse/home.html

The fixed navigation column causes the same problems as on
lists.opensuse.org - even more in this case because the content area
has a transparent background.

For people not reading opensuse-test ;-) - reduce the window width and
scroll right.

Screenshot: http://www.cboltz.de/tmp/opensuse-home.png

Proposed solution: white background for content area. I already sent you
the details as PM some days ago.

> http://www.suse.de/~fs/opensuse/splash.html

When I enlarge the font size on the splash page, the languages and
search are placed too far right.
Screenshot: http://www.cboltz.de/tmp/opensuse-splash.png

Proposed solution: place the <div>s for every language more left,
enlarge the width (2*movement to left) and use text-align:center

You should also test with reducing font size - some languages are too
far left in this case. Please fix this by enlarging the width, _not_ by
moving them more right.

BTW: Any news about the "preferred language" cookie (on user request)?
There should be a link to a "remember my language" page.

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
    1.-4.9.2006: Weinfest in Insheim
Pig Slip, Hifi-Delity, AH-Band, Frank Petersen und die Deafen Goblins