External USB disk drive - how to get started?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

External USB disk drive - how to get started?

Janus-2
Hi there

I would like to make a complete backup to an external harddrive. The drive is
new and not formated yet.

I would like to SUSE to see the drive, format it and copy my entire /home to
the drive.

How do I get started?

Janus
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External USB disk drive - how to get started?

Janus-2
On Saturday 03 November 2007 19:08, Janus wrote:

> I would like to make a complete backup to an external harddrive. The drive
> is new and not formated yet.

PS: I run SuSE Linux 10.0.
Yes, I know. Time to upgrade. That is why I really need a complete backup. :-)

Janus
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External USB disk drive - how to get started?

James Knott
In reply to this post by Janus-2
Janus wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I would like to make a complete backup to an external harddrive. The drive is
> new and not formated yet.
>
> I would like to SUSE to see the drive, format it and copy my entire /home to
> the drive.
>
> How do I get started?
>
> Janus
>  
Plug it in.  Then open Yast Partitioner.  You should see the drive.
Format it and specify the desired mount point.


--
Use OpenOffice.org <http://www.openoffice.org>
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External USB disk drive - how to get started?

Janus-2
On Saturday 03 November 2007 23:54, James Knott wrote:

> Plug it in.  Then open Yast Partitioner.  You should see the drive.
> Format it and specify the desired mount point.

I go YaST -> System -> Partitioner
- and I only see /dev/hda - no external drive.

Suggestions? Thanks.

Janus
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External USB disk drive - how to get started?

James Knott
Janus wrote:

> On Saturday 03 November 2007 23:54, James Knott wrote:
>
>  
>> Plug it in.  Then open Yast Partitioner.  You should see the drive.
>> Format it and specify the desired mount point.
>>    
>
> I go YaST -> System -> Partitioner
> - and I only see /dev/hda - no external drive.
>
>  

I just turned on my external 160 GB drive and it shows up in Partitioner
as /dev/sdc.  Do you see anything new, when you plug in that drive?


--
Use OpenOffice.org <http://www.openoffice.org>
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External USB disk drive - how to get started?

Basil Chupin
James Knott wrote:

> Janus wrote:
>  
>> On Saturday 03 November 2007 23:54, James Knott wrote:
>>
>>  
>>    
>>> Plug it in.  Then open Yast Partitioner.  You should see the drive.
>>> Format it and specify the desired mount point.
>>>    
>>>      
>> I go YaST -> System -> Partitioner
>> - and I only see /dev/hda - no external drive.
>>
>>  
>>    
>
> I just turned on my external 160 GB drive and it shows up in Partitioner
> as /dev/sdc.  Do you see anything new, when you plug in that drive?
>  
James, the OP did state that he is using SuSE 10.0, and you are using
10.3. The point here is, does 10.0 have the same ability to recognise
USB drives? If I recall correctly, weren't there some hassles in this
area with SuSE prior to (?)10.2?

Cheers.


--
Past experience, if not forgotten, is a guide for the future.


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External USB disk drive - how to get started?

James Knott
Basil Chupin wrote:

> James Knott wrote:
>> Janus wrote:
>>  
>>> On Saturday 03 November 2007 23:54, James Knott wrote:
>>>
>>>      
>>>> Plug it in.  Then open Yast Partitioner.  You should see the drive.
>>>> Format it and specify the desired mount point.
>>>>          
>>> I go YaST -> System -> Partitioner
>>> - and I only see /dev/hda - no external drive.
>>>
>>>      
>>
>> I just turned on my external 160 GB drive and it shows up in Partitioner
>> as /dev/sdc.  Do you see anything new, when you plug in that drive?
>>  
> James, the OP did state that he is using SuSE 10.0, and you are using
> 10.3. The point here is, does 10.0 have the same ability to recognise
> USB drives? If I recall correctly, weren't there some hassles in this
> area with SuSE prior to (?)10.2?
>

I don't recall and I don't have any 10.0 systems running.

--
Use OpenOffice.org <http://www.openoffice.org>
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External USB disk drive - how to get started?

PerfectReign
On Saturday 03 November 2007 20:36, James Knott wrote:

> Basil Chupin wrote:
> > James Knott wrote:
> >> Janus wrote:
> >>> On Saturday 03 November 2007 23:54, James Knott wrote:
> >>>> Plug it in.  Then open Yast Partitioner.  You should see the drive.
> >>>> Format it and specify the desired mount point.
> >>>
> >>> I go YaST -> System -> Partitioner
> >>> - and I only see /dev/hda - no external drive.
> >>
> >> I just turned on my external 160 GB drive and it shows up in Partitioner
> >> as /dev/sdc.  Do you see anything new, when you plug in that drive?
> >
> > James, the OP did state that he is using SuSE 10.0, and you are using
> > 10.3. The point here is, does 10.0 have the same ability to recognise
> > USB drives? If I recall correctly, weren't there some hassles in this
> > area with SuSE prior to (?)10.2?
>
> I don't recall and I don't have any 10.0 systems running.

I didn't catch that.

Yes, 10.0 was buggy as all getup when it came to USB external drives and USB
thumb drives.

I don't know if patches ever made it into that distro version, but I recall
very serious issues with speed in transferring files when I went from 9.3 to
10.0.  

IIRC, the whole underbelly of USB was rewritten from the 9.x days and
10.0 "missed the boat."  I remember distinctly feeling very pleased with 10.1
and 10.2 in terms of performance with USB drives.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External USB disk drive - how to get started?

Basil Chupin
Kai Ponte wrote:

> On Saturday 03 November 2007 20:36, James Knott wrote:
>  
>> Basil Chupin wrote:
>>    
>>> James Knott wrote:
>>>      
>>>> Janus wrote:
>>>>        
>>>>> On Saturday 03 November 2007 23:54, James Knott wrote:
>>>>>          
>>>>>> Plug it in.  Then open Yast Partitioner.  You should see the drive.
>>>>>> Format it and specify the desired mount point.
>>>>>>            
>>>>> I go YaST -> System -> Partitioner
>>>>> - and I only see /dev/hda - no external drive.
>>>>>          
>>>> I just turned on my external 160 GB drive and it shows up in Partitioner
>>>> as /dev/sdc.  Do you see anything new, when you plug in that drive?
>>>>        
>>> James, the OP did state that he is using SuSE 10.0, and you are using
>>> 10.3. The point here is, does 10.0 have the same ability to recognise
>>> USB drives? If I recall correctly, weren't there some hassles in this
>>> area with SuSE prior to (?)10.2?
>>>      
>> I don't recall and I don't have any 10.0 systems running.
>>    
>
> I didn't catch that.
>  

The OP has bought himself an external HD (to be able to do a backup of
his 10.0 system before upgrading to 10.3) and is wondering how to go
about formatting the HD. James suggested using Yast Partitioner but when
OP does this the USB drive doesn't appear in the Partitioner.

> Yes, 10.0 was buggy as all getup when it came to USB external drives and USB
> thumb drives.
>
> I don't know if patches ever made it into that distro version, but I recall
> very serious issues with speed in transferring files when I went from 9.3 to
> 10.0.  
>
> IIRC, the whole underbelly of USB was rewritten from the 9.x days and
> 10.0 "missed the boat."  I remember distinctly feeling very pleased with 10.1
> and 10.2 in terms of performance with USB drives.
>  
Ah, it appears that my memory is still reasonably functional :-) .

(I suspect that someone like Carlos E will be able to dredge up from his
extensive archives the appropriate messages which provided the "fix"
which the OP could apply to overcome his problem.)

Cheers.




--
Past experience, if not forgotten, is a guide for the future.


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External USB disk drive - how to get started?

Janus-2
On Sunday 04 November 2007 05:29, Basil Chupin wrote:

> The OP has bought himself an external HD (to be able to do a backup of
> his 10.0 system before upgrading to 10.3) and is wondering how to go
> about formatting the HD. James suggested using Yast Partitioner but when
> OP does this the USB drive doesn't appear in the Partitioner.

Exactly! :-)

> (I suspect that someone like Carlos E will be able to dredge up from his
> extensive archives the appropriate messages which provided the "fix"
> which the OP could apply to overcome his problem.)

I'll keep my fingers crossed. As an alternative I will have to fire up my old
Celeron 400 Mhz with 128 MB ram (which I guess will not run recent versions
of SuSE), and use it as a backup media (scp over ethernet). Speaking of
which: Is the a size limit for a tar-file? (can I make one big tar of my
entire /home ~ around 15 - 30 GB depending of how much I clean up).

Loking very much forward to the 10.3 upgrade - and to a better backup
routine :-)

Best,
Janus
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External USB disk drive - how to get started?

Basil Chupin
Janus wrote:

> On Sunday 04 November 2007 05:29, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>  
>> The OP has bought himself an external HD (to be able to do a backup of
>> his 10.0 system before upgrading to 10.3) and is wondering how to go
>> about formatting the HD. James suggested using Yast Partitioner but when
>> OP does this the USB drive doesn't appear in the Partitioner.
>>    
>
> Exactly! :-)
>
>  
>> (I suspect that someone like Carlos E will be able to dredge up from his
>> extensive archives the appropriate messages which provided the "fix"
>> which the OP could apply to overcome his problem.)
>>    
>
> I'll keep my fingers crossed. As an alternative I will have to fire up my old
> Celeron 400 Mhz with 128 MB ram (which I guess will not run recent versions
> of SuSE), and use it as a backup media (scp over ethernet). Speaking of
> which: Is the a size limit for a tar-file? (can I make one big tar of my
> entire /home ~ around 15 - 30 GB depending of how much I clean up).
>
> Loking very much forward to the 10.3 upgrade - and to a better backup
> routine :-)
>
> Best,
> Janus
>  

In the meantime you could help yourself by doing some searching for the
answer in the Help Database. Start here:

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:SDB


Cheers.


--
Past experience, if not forgotten, is a guide for the future.


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External USB disk drive - how to get started?

Jon Clausen
In reply to this post by Janus-2
Haven't followed this thread very closely, so pardon me if there are factors
which render my suggestion invalid;

On Sun, 04 Nov, 2007 at 11:20:52 +0100, Janus wrote:
> On Sunday 04 November 2007 05:29, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
> > The OP has bought himself an external HD (to be able to do a backup of
> > his 10.0 system before upgrading to 10.3) and is wondering how to go
> > about formatting the HD. James suggested using Yast Partitioner but when
> > OP does this the USB drive doesn't appear in the Partitioner.
>
> Exactly! :-)

Does anything dictate that you *must* use the old system to do the backup?

Otherwise you *could* just boot the 10.3 media to a rescue system, and use
that to mkfs, mount, and backup to the USBdisk.

Worth a shot, no?

I mean, the alternative;

> I'll keep my fingers crossed. As an alternative I will have to fire up my old
> Celeron 400 Mhz with 128 MB ram (which I guess will not run recent versions
> of SuSE), and use it as a backup media (scp over ethernet).

*is* going to take some time...

/jon

--
YMMV
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External USB disk drive - how to get started?

Janus-2
On Sunday 04 November 2007 12:30, Jon Clausen wrote:

> Does anything dictate that you *must* use the old system to do the backup?

No. I just need a reliable backup of "everything". I prefer to do copy the
backup to the external HD.

> Otherwise you *could* just boot the 10.3 media to a rescue system, and use
> that to mkfs, mount, and backup to the USBdisk.
> Worth a shot, no?

Thanks. Haven't thought about that solution and I am not familiar with "mkfs".
but I guess I get the idea: I make some backup tar files, boot SuSE Linux
10.3 from a DVD (maybe the "live" version would be even better - maybe it has
the YaST partitioner tool?), and from here I will have access to the external
HD which I can then copy the backup tar files to. Great idea. Will give it a
try. Thanks!

> I mean, the alternative;
(...)
> *is* going to take some time...

Oh yes... ;-)

Janus
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External USB disk drive - how to get started?

Basil Chupin
Janus wrote:

> On Sunday 04 November 2007 12:30, Jon Clausen wrote:
>
>  
>> Does anything dictate that you *must* use the old system to do the backup?
>>    
>
> No. I just need a reliable backup of "everything". I prefer to do copy the
> backup to the external HD.
>
>  
>> Otherwise you *could* just boot the 10.3 media to a rescue system, and use
>> that to mkfs, mount, and backup to the USBdisk.
>> Worth a shot, no?
>>    
>
> Thanks. Haven't thought about that solution and I am not familiar with "mkfs".
> but I guess I get the idea: I make some backup tar files, boot SuSE Linux
> 10.3 from a DVD (maybe the "live" version would be even better - maybe it has
> the YaST partitioner tool?), and from here I will have access to the external
> HD which I can then copy the backup tar files to. Great idea. Will give it a
> try. Thanks!
>
>  
>> I mean, the alternative;
>>    
> (...)
>  
>> *is* going to take some time...
>>    
>
> Oh yes... ;-)
>
> Janus
>  

There was a discussion only last week (?or week before) in this forum
about doing backups. Check out the archives for the discussion - start here:

http://marc.info/?l=opensuse&r=1&w=2


Cheers.

--
Past experience, if not forgotten, is a guide for the future.



--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External USB disk drive - how to get started?

Allen-11
Hi,

I used to have this problem sometimes in Slackware where auto mount doesn't
come all pretty like on SUSE, so I just set up an Fstab entry to take care of
it.

right now I have SUSE 10.2 and KDE and Gnome would see my USB HD as soon as I
plugged it in, but in Window Maker or Enlightenment, I wouldn't have the
option and it didn't show up in mount anymore.

What I ended up doing to fix it so it worked in every window manager and
without X running was just booting and using KDE, checking Mount to see how
it was mounted, and just adding that to /etc/fstab and then  using
mount /dev/sda1 to mount it for use.

Hope it helps,

-Allen
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External USB disk drive - how to get started?

Eberhard Roloff
In reply to this post by Janus-2
Janus wrote:

> On Sunday 04 November 2007 12:30, Jon Clausen wrote:
>
>> Does anything dictate that you *must* use the old system to do the backup?
>
> No. I just need a reliable backup of "everything". I prefer to do copy the
> backup to the external HD.
>
>> Otherwise you *could* just boot the 10.3 media to a rescue system, and use
>> that to mkfs, mount, and backup to the USBdisk.
>> Worth a shot, no?
>
> Thanks. Haven't thought about that solution and I am not familiar with "mkfs".
> but I guess I get the idea: I make some backup tar files, boot SuSE Linux
> 10.3 from a DVD (maybe the "live" version would be even better - maybe it has
> the YaST partitioner tool?), and from here I will have access to the external
> HD which I can then copy the backup tar files to. Great idea. Will give it a
> try. Thanks!
>
>> I mean, the alternative;
> (...)
>> *is* going to take some time...
>
> Oh yes... ;-)
>
> Janus
Plug your usb drive in.
Use as root "fdisk -l"

Within the last few lines you should see the device name that your
device is, if anything is detected, that is.

mount this device to a mountpoint e.g. mount /dev/sdc /mnt

Do your backup. If this will not work, use a CD Distribution based Linux
where Knoppix is way better that Opensuse imho and do your backups from
there, as has been said.

If you want to change your harddisks partitioning and/or layout and/or
format it's filesystems, use Knoppix, open a konsole, "sudo su" and
finally "qtparted" and anything else will be dead easy.

Kind regards
Eberhard

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External USB disk drive - how to get started?

Bugzilla from carlos.lange@ualberta.ca
In reply to this post by Janus-2
On Sat November 3 2007 18:44, Janus wrote:
> On Saturday 03 November 2007 23:54, James Knott wrote:
> > Plug it in.  Then open Yast Partitioner.  You should see the drive.
> > Format it and specify the desired mount point.
>
> I go YaST -> System -> Partitioner
> - and I only see /dev/hda - no external drive.
>
> Suggestions? Thanks.

Try restarting Hal:
 rchal restart
then plug your disk in again.
--
Carlos FL

Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External USB disk drive - how to get started?

Rajko M.
In reply to this post by Janus-2
On Sunday 04 November 2007 04:20:52 am Janus wrote:
> Speaking of
> which: Is the a size limit for a tar-file? (can I make one big tar of my
> entire /home ~ around 15 - 30 GB depending of how much I clean up).

This is from ext2.txt (ext3.txt is not that detailed) in kernel sources
documentation:
 
Filesystem block size:     1kB        2kB        4kB        8kB
File size limit:          16GB      256GB     2048GB     2048GB
Filesystem size limit:  2047GB     8192GB    16384GB    32768GB

--
Regards,
Rajko.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External USB disk drive - how to get started?

Jeffrey L. Taylor
In reply to this post by Basil Chupin
Quoting Basil Chupin <[hidden email]>:

> James Knott wrote:
>> Janus wrote:
>>  
>>> On Saturday 03 November 2007 23:54, James Knott wrote:
>>>
>>>      
>>>> Plug it in.  Then open Yast Partitioner.  You should see the drive.
>>>> Format it and specify the desired mount point.
>>>>          
>>> I go YaST -> System -> Partitioner
>>> - and I only see /dev/hda - no external drive.
>>>
>>>      
>>
>> I just turned on my external 160 GB drive and it shows up in Partitioner
>> as /dev/sdc.  Do you see anything new, when you plug in that drive?
>>  
> James, the OP did state that he is using SuSE 10.0, and you are using 10.3.
> The point here is, does 10.0 have the same ability to recognise USB drives?
> If I recall correctly, weren't there some hassles in this area with SuSE
> prior to (?)10.2?
>

I had no trouble with USB external drives on an up to date SuSE 10.0.  It
recognized them and mounted them in /media without intervention.  With 10.3,
it recognizes them, but I have to mount them manually.

Look at syslog(s) and see if the system is seeing them.

Jeffrey


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External USB disk drive - how to get started?

Janus-2
In reply to this post by Jon Clausen
On Sunday 04 November 2007 12:30, Jon Clausen wrote:

> Does anything dictate that you *must* use the old system to do the backup?
> Otherwise you *could* just boot the 10.3 media to a rescue system, and use
> that to mkfs, mount, and backup to the USBdisk.

It worked smooth: I Booted from a SuSE 10.3 Live CD and plugged in the USB
drive. It was automatically recognized and mounted - and I could start
copying files to it (it was already formated as FAT32). The drive is also
visible in YaST partitioner tool, so now I can format the drive to ext3 and
make the backup.

Thanks for the suggestion. Simple. Obvious. Thanks! :-)

Janus
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

12