Expiration of the final US patents covering MP3 and inclusion of libmad in Leap 42.3

Expiration of the final US patents covering MP3 and inclusion of libmad in Leap 42.3

Troels Just
Earlier today, I recalled that the final US patents covering the MP3
were due to expire this year, and I did a quick Google search, and
found this list at OSNews (Scroll down to get the table):
http://www.osnews.com/story/24954/US_Patent_Expiration_for_MP3_MPEG-2_H_264/

It also links to other lists that point to the same date, the 16th of
April 2017, for the final US patent related to the MP3 format to
expire.

I would think that this could allow for Leap 42.3 to legally include
libmad, and thereby enable full MP3 support across the distribution
without any non-free code (Like Fluendo GStreamer plugins etc.).

I must confess I rarely hang out on the mailing lists, but I just
thought I would put this idea out there, since we are a good few
months away from the release of 42.3, and if I happened to be correct
it could be very useful to FINALLY have libmad included in the
distribution's own package set. This is especially true since VLC
itself is actually included.

Re: Expiration of the final US patents covering MP3 and inclusion of libmad in Leap 42.3

Martin Pluskal-2

Re: Expiration of the final US patents covering MP3 and inclusion of libmad in Leap 42.3

Martin Pluskal-2

Re: Expiration of the final US patents covering MP3 and inclusion of libmad in Leap 42.3

Stefan Knorr
Hi.

> Well only if package is accepted to factory and somebody updates
> release notes

Send your pull requests this merry way:
https://github.com/openSUSE/release-notes-openSUSE/tree/Leap_42.3

Don't worry if the XML does not completely validate -- draft content
is fine. :)

Stefan.

SUSE Linux GmbH. Geschäftsführer: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard,
Graham Norton. HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg).