Error adding 13.1 ISO to repository

James Knott
As is my custom, I add the distro image as a local repository, instead
of relying on the DVD or online repository.  However, when I try to add
the 13.1 64 bit ISO file, I get an error message: "File
'/local/openSUSE-13.1-DVD-x86_64.iso' does not seem to be an ISO image.
I can tell it to add the image and it seems to be OK, though I haven't
tried using it yet.

This file was used to create the DVD I installed from and passes the
md5sum check.

Re: Error adding 13.1 ISO to repository

Andrei Borzenkov
В Tue, 26 Nov 2013 11:16:49 -0500
James Knott <[hidden email]> пишет:

> As is my custom, I add the distro image as a local repository, instead
> of relying on the DVD or online repository.  However, when I try to add
> the 13.1 64 bit ISO file, I get an error message: "File
> '/local/openSUSE-13.1-DVD-x86_64.iso' does not seem to be an ISO image.

What "file /path/to/image" tells? May be it is hybrid and confuses
tools?

Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
>> As is my custom, I add the distro image as a local repository, instead
>> > of relying on the DVD or online repository.  However, when I try to add
>> > the 13.1 64 bit ISO file, I get an error message: "File
>> > '/local/openSUSE-13.1-DVD-x86_64.iso' does not seem to be an ISO image.
> What "file /path/to/image" tells? May be it is hybrid and confuses
> tools?

/local/openSUSE-13.1-DVD-x86_64.iso: DOS/MBR boot sector; partition 1 :
ID=0xef, start-CHS (0x1,53,21), end-CHS (0x5,53,20), startsector 3764,
8192 sectors; partition 2 : ID=0x17, active, start-CHS (0x5,53,21),
end-CHS (0x3ff,63,32), startsector 11956, 8919372 sectors

As I said, it's the downloaded & verified DVD ISO in /local.  If it
confuses the tool, it's a new confusion in 13.1.

Re: Error adding 13.1 ISO to repository

jdd@dodin.org
Le 26/11/2013 17:53, James Knott a écrit :

> Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
>>> As is my custom, I add the distro image as a local repository, instead
>> What "file /path/to/image" tells? May be it is hybrid and confuses
>> tools?
>>

> /local/openSUSE-13.1-DVD-x86_64.iso: DOS/MBR boot sector; partition 1 :
> ID=0xef, start-CHS (0x1,53,21), end-CHS (0x5,53,20), startsector 3764,
> 8192 sectors; partition 2 : ID=0x17, active, start-CHS (0x5,53,21),
> end-CHS (0x3ff,63,32), startsector 11956, 8919372 sectors
>

> As I said, it's the downloaded & verified DVD ISO in /local.  If it
> confuses the tool, it's a new confusion in 13.1.

do this happen during the install? What do you mean as "when I try to
add the 13.1 64 bit ISO file"? if it's not the standard running
system, may be this is monted somewhere and the path is different

if it's the standard system, can you give the full command line?

thanks
jdd

--
http://www.dodin.org

jdd wrote:

>>> What "file /path/to/image" tells? May be it is hybrid and confuses
>>> tools?
>>>

>> /local/openSUSE-13.1-DVD-x86_64.iso: DOS/MBR boot sector; partition 1 :
>> ID=0xef, start-CHS (0x1,53,21), end-CHS (0x5,53,20), startsector 3764,
>> 8192 sectors; partition 2 : ID=0x17, active, start-CHS (0x5,53,21),
>> end-CHS (0x3ff,63,32), startsector 11956, 8919372 sectors
>>

>> As I said, it's the downloaded & verified DVD ISO in /local.  If it
>> confuses the tool, it's a new confusion in 13.1.
>>
> do this happen during the install? What do you mean as "when I try to
> add the 13.1 64 bit ISO file"? if it's not the standard running
> system, may be this is monted somewhere and the path is different
>
> if it's the standard system, can you give the full command line?

No, it's not during the install.  It's when I try to add the ISO as a
repository after install, so that instead of having to insert the DVD or
use the openSUSE site repository, I can use the ISO file.  It's a
standard function in adding repositories and has worked fine in the past.

Le 26/11/2013 18:46, James Knott a écrit :

> No, it's not during the install.  It's when I try to add the ISO as a
> repository after install, so that instead of having to insert the DVD or
> use the openSUSE site repository, I can use the ISO file.  It's a
> standard function in adding repositories and has worked fine in the past.

understood. for me give an error and a message "continue". I have yet
to try with a real dvd iso to test

jdd
--
http://www.dodin.org

Re: Error adding 13.1 ISO to repository

Andrei Borzenkov
В Tue, 26 Nov 2013 12:46:40 -0500
James Knott <[hidden email]> пишет:

> jdd wrote:
> >>>

> >> /local/openSUSE-13.1-DVD-x86_64.iso: DOS/MBR boot sector; partition 1 :
> >> ID=0xef, start-CHS (0x1,53,21), end-CHS (0x5,53,20), startsector 3764,
> >> 8192 sectors; partition 2 : ID=0x17, active, start-CHS (0x5,53,21),
> >> end-CHS (0x3ff,63,32), startsector 11956, 8919372 sectors
> >>

> >> As I said, it's the downloaded & verified DVD ISO in /local.  If it
> >> confuses the tool, it's a new confusion in 13.1.
> >>
> > do this happen during the install? What do you mean as "when I try to
> > add the 13.1 64 bit ISO file"? if it's not the standard running
> > system, may be this is monted somewhere and the path is different
> >
> > if it's the standard system, can you give the full command line?
> >

> No, it's not during the install.  It's when I try to add the ISO as a
> repository after install, so that instead of having to insert the DVD or
> use the openSUSE site repository, I can use the ISO file.  It's a
> standard function in adding repositories and has worked fine in the past.

Did you try adding ISO using zypper instead of yast?

Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
> Did you try adding ISO using zypper instead of yast?

I have always used Yast and it's worked fine before.

Re: Error adding 13.1 ISO to repository

Michael Hamilton
On Wed, 27 Nov 2013, James Knott wrote:

> As is my custom, I add the distro image as a local repository, instead
> of relying on the DVD or online repository.  However, when I try to add
> the 13.1 64 bit ISO file, I get an error message: "File
> '/local/openSUSE-13.1-DVD-x86_64.iso' does not seem to be an ISO image.
> I can tell it to add the image and it seems to be OK, though I haven't
> tried using it yet.
>
> This file was used to create the DVD I installed from and passes the
> md5sum check.

What does your /etc/zypp/ repo file contain?

For example, my repo file for the 12.3 ISO (/etc/zypp/repos.d/12.3_DVD.repo)
[12.3_DVD]
name=12.3 DVD
enabled=0
autorefresh=0
baseurl=iso:///?iso=openSUSE-12.3-DVD-x86_64.iso&url=file:///mnt/misc/michael/
path=/
type=yast2
priority=98
keeppackages=0
where the ISO is in /mnt/misc/michael/openSUSE-12.3-DVD-x86_64.iso.

I was hoping to use the DVD ISO as a repo to kickoff an upgrade
to 13.1 for a couple of machines (but I thought I'd wait for the nvidia driver
repo to be ready). Maybe I'd better test this in a VM.

Michael Hamilton wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Nov 2013, James Knott wrote:
>> As is my custom, I add the distro image as a local repository, instead
>> of relying on the DVD or online repository.  However, when I try to add
>> the 13.1 64 bit ISO file, I get an error message: "File
>> '/local/openSUSE-13.1-DVD-x86_64.iso' does not seem to be an ISO image.
>> I can tell it to add the image and it seems to be OK, though I haven't
>> tried using it yet.
>>
>> This file was used to create the DVD I installed from and passes the
>> md5sum check.
>>
> What does your /etc/zypp/ repo file contain?
>
> For example, my repo file for the 12.3 ISO (/etc/zypp/repos.d/12.3_DVD.repo)
> [12.3_DVD]
> name=12.3 DVD
> enabled=0
> autorefresh=0
> baseurl=iso:///?iso=openSUSE-12.3-DVD-x86_64.iso&url=file:///mnt/misc/michael/
> path=/
> type=yast2
> priority=98
> keeppackages=0
> where the ISO is in /mnt/misc/michael/openSUSE-12.3-DVD-x86_64.iso.
>
> I was hoping to use the DVD ISO as a repo to kickoff an upgrade
> to 13.1 for a couple of machines (but I thought I'd wait for the nvidia driver
> repo to be ready). Maybe I'd better test this in a VM.

more /etc/zypp/repos.d/openSUSE_13.1_\(Local\).repo
[openSUSE_13.1_(Local)]
name=openSUSE 13.1 (Local)
enabled=1
autorefresh=0
baseurl=iso:///?iso=openSUSE-13.1-DVD-x86_64.iso&url=file:///home/jknott/download/suse/13.1/
path=/
type=yast2
keeppackages=0

On Thu, 28 Nov 2013, James Knott wrote:

> Michael Hamilton wrote:
> > On Wed, 27 Nov 2013, James Knott wrote:
> >> As is my custom, I add the distro image as a local repository, instead
> >> of relying on the DVD or online repository.  However, when I try to add
> >> the 13.1 64 bit ISO file, I get an error message: "File
> >> '/local/openSUSE-13.1-DVD-x86_64.iso' does not seem to be an ISO image.
> >> I can tell it to add the image and it seems to be OK, though I haven't
> >> tried using it yet.
> >>
> >> This file was used to create the DVD I installed from and passes the
> >> md5sum check.
> >>
> > What does your /etc/zypp/ repo file contain?
> >
> > For example, my repo file for the 12.3 ISO (/etc/zypp/repos.d/12.3_DVD.repo)
> > [12.3_DVD]
> > name=12.3 DVD
> > enabled=0
> > autorefresh=0
> > baseurl=iso:///?iso=openSUSE-12.3-DVD-x86_64.iso&url=file:///mnt/misc/michael/
> > path=/
> > type=yast2
> > priority=98
> > keeppackages=0
> > where the ISO is in /mnt/misc/michael/openSUSE-12.3-DVD-x86_64.iso.
> >
> > I was hoping to use the DVD ISO as a repo to kickoff an upgrade
> > to 13.1 for a couple of machines (but I thought I'd wait for the nvidia driver
> > repo to be ready). Maybe I'd better test this in a VM.
>
> more /etc/zypp/repos.d/openSUSE_13.1_\(Local\).repo
> [openSUSE_13.1_(Local)]
> name=openSUSE 13.1 (Local)
> enabled=1
> autorefresh=0
> baseurl=iso:///?iso=openSUSE-13.1-DVD-x86_64.iso&url=file:///home/jknott/download/suse/13.1/
> path=/
> type=yast2
> keeppackages=0

I can add the 13.1 ISO as a repo to 12.3 with no errors.

In a 13.1 VM adding the same ISO gives the error you are seeing.  If I tell yast
to ignore the error, the ISO repo seems usable - I installed one package to test it.

Michael Hamilton wrote:
> In a 13.1 VM adding the same ISO gives the error you are seeing.  If I tell yast
> to ignore the error, the ISO repo seems usable - I installed one package to test it.

I couldn't install anything from the ISO.  Did you actually get that
package from the ISO?  Or perhaps the online repo?  You have to disable
the online repo to do this test.

Re: Error adding 13.1 ISO to repository

Michael Hamilton
On Thu, 28 Nov 2013, James Knott wrote:
> Michael Hamilton wrote:
> > In a 13.1 VM adding the same ISO gives the error you are seeing.  If I tell yast
> > to ignore the error, the ISO repo seems usable - I installed one package to test it.
>
> I couldn't install anything from the ISO.  Did you actually get that
> package from the ISO?  Or perhaps the online repo?  You have to disable
> the online repo to do this test.

I just now disabled all repos except the ISO and then installed oclock which
was not present prior to the install.

Could it be something like spaces in the repo names?

My 13.1 repo file contains:
[13.1DVD]
name=13.1DVD
enabled=1
autorefresh=0
baseurl=iso:///?iso=openSUSE-13.1-DVD-x86_64.iso&url=file:///mnt/tmp1/
path=/
type=yast2
keeppackages=0

Michael Hamilton wrote:
> Could it be something like spaces in the repo names?

Other repos have spaces in their names.

Re: Error adding 13.1 ISO to repository

Michael Hamilton
On Thu, 28 Nov 2013, James Knott wrote:
> Michael Hamilton wrote:
> > Could it be something like spaces in the repo names?
>
> Other repos have spaces in their names.

In my first test I manually picked which Repo the package came from, in my
second I actually disabled all other repos, so I think both installs actually came
from the ISO.

Given mine works, it may only be something like permissions, paths, names,
or hardware issues.  The only differences I can directly see is your Repo name
contains spaces and brackets.     In my case I'm running in a 13.1 virtualbox
and the ISO file is on a samba share, but I don't see this as being a factor.

You report you can't install - any new messages?   Does this also mean
that yast cannot list the packages in the repo?

Re: Error adding 13.1 ISO to repository

Rajko M.
On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 13:56:51 -0500
James Knott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Did you try adding ISO using zypper instead of yast?
>
> I have always used Yast and it's worked fine before.

Note that YaST was just moved from YCP to Ruby, so there could be some
stuff that does not work as before. That is why zypper may help to see
where is the problem.

--
Regards, Rajko.