Epson Scanner V500 Isn't Detected

Mark Misulich-3
Hi,
I installed Opensuse 42.2 on a computer that I finished
building the other day.  I am using KDE 5.8.6-7.1 as the
desktop environment.  I am trying to install an Epson
Perfection V500 Photo Scanner that I have used for maybe 7 years
on my previous desktop computer using various Opensuse versions
starting with 12.something up to 42.2, with the Epson iscan
installation software for this scanner. The version of this software is
iscan-bundle-1.0.4.x64.rpm

But the scanner won't install on this computer using yast; here's the
details.

In yast in the Scanner Configuration window, it shows the
following:

Driver Scanner
epkowa No scanner recognized by this driver
Not Configured Epson Scanner USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON
                Scanner] at libusb:001:015

epkowa is the driver I use for this scanner, and is supplied by the
iscan driver bundle.  It has always recognized the scanner in the past.
I downloaded the latest version of the iscan driver bundle from Epson
and it installs all the required software to run the scanner using a
shell script.

If I try to configure the scanner using Yast2, it autoselects Epson
Perfection V500 Photo in the Scanner Models dialog box. I then click
"Next," and a dialog box informs me "Possibly Problematic Driver  The
epkowa driver may cause problems on 64-bit x86_64 architecture.
Selecting "Continue," Yast does it's thing, and promptly brings me back
to the Scanner Configuration window with the same results as I have
shown above.

What I've tried:
1. Multiple tries of reinstalling the driver software via the shell
script.

2. Regressing to earlier versions of the driver software.

3. Trying the 32-bit architecture driver software .

4. Moving the USB cable on the computer from USB3 to USB2 ports

5. Disconnecting the Scanner USB cable from the USB Hub and connecting

    it directly to the back of the computer, using both the USB3 and
    USB2 ports.

In all cases, the scanner is not recognized. As a final note, yes, the
scanner power is on.

I would appreciate some help to get the scanner working.

Thanks, Mark

Re: Epson Scanner V500 Isn't Detected

gumb
On 18/06/17 23:39, Mark Misulich wrote:

> Hi,
> I installed Opensuse 42.2 on a computer that I finished
> building the other day.  I am using KDE 5.8.6-7.1 as the
> desktop environment.  I am trying to install an Epson
> Perfection V500 Photo Scanner that I have used for maybe 7 years
> on my previous desktop computer using various Opensuse versions
> starting with 12.something up to 42.2, with the Epson iscan
> installation software for this scanner. The version of this software is
> iscan-bundle-1.0.4.x64.rpm
>
> But the scanner won't install on this computer using yast; here's the
> details.
>
> In yast in the Scanner Configuration window, it shows the
> following:
>
> Driver Scanner
> epkowa No scanner recognized by this driver
> Not Configured Epson Scanner USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON
> Scanner] at libusb:001:015
>
> epkowa is the driver I use for this scanner, and is supplied by the
> iscan driver bundle.  It has always recognized the scanner in the past.
> I downloaded the latest version of the iscan driver bundle from Epson
> and it installs all the required software to run the scanner using a
> shell script.
>
> If I try to configure the scanner using Yast2, it autoselects Epson
> Perfection V500 Photo in the Scanner Models dialog box. I then click
> "Next," and a dialog box informs me "Possibly Problematic Driver  The
> epkowa driver may cause problems on 64-bit x86_64 architecture.
> Selecting "Continue," Yast does it's thing, and promptly brings me back
> to the Scanner Configuration window with the same results as I have
> shown above.
>
> What I've tried:
> 1. Multiple tries of reinstalling the driver software via the shell
> script.
>
> 2. Regressing to earlier versions of the driver software.
>
> 3. Trying the 32-bit architecture driver software .
>
> 4. Moving the USB cable on the computer from USB3 to USB2 ports
>
> 5. Disconnecting the Scanner USB cable from the USB Hub and connecting
>
>      it directly to the back of the computer, using both the USB3 and
>      USB2 ports.
>
> In all cases, the scanner is not recognized. As a final note, yes, the
> scanner power is on.
>
> I would appreciate some help to get the scanner working.
>
> Thanks, Mark

I don't know anything about Epson devices under Linux. But is the 'iscan
driver bundle' different from this iscan package on OBS?
https://software.opensuse.org/package/iscan

Re: Epson Scanner V500 Isn't Detected

Basil Chupin-2
On 19/06/17 07:39, Mark Misulich wrote:

> Hi,
> I installed Opensuse 42.2 on a computer that I finished
> building the other day.  I am using KDE 5.8.6-7.1 as the
> desktop environment.  I am trying to install an Epson
> Perfection V500 Photo Scanner that I have used for maybe 7 years
> on my previous desktop computer using various Opensuse versions
> starting with 12.something up to 42.2, with the Epson iscan
> installation software for this scanner. The version of this software is
> iscan-bundle-1.0.4.x64.rpm
>
> But the scanner won't install on this computer using yast; here's the
> details.

I know that this is one of those "But it works for me" posts :-) but I
have the Epson Perfection V550 Photo and I had no hassles in installing
it in Leap 42.2.

This may not help but try two things: remove the iscan/epkowa driver and
re-install; but after installation switch off the computer, let it stand
for a minute or so then reboot.

I had trouble with another app. which I had just installed but it was
nowhere to be seen -- until I rebooted the desktop after which its icon
appeared and the app. worked. As I said, just a thought which may work...

(BTW, isn't there something in the instructions about how to install the
Epson where you install the driver first and _before_ switching the
scanner on? relying on memory here so probably wrong in what I just said.)

BC

--
Government has become a committee for managing the affairs of the rich.

On Mon, 2017-06-19 at 00:12 +0200, gumb wrote:

> I don't know anything about Epson devices under Linux. But is the
> 'iscan
> driver bundle' different from this iscan package on OBS?
> https://software.opensuse.org/package/iscan

There is an iscan package in yast, here is the description:

iscan - simple, easy to use scanner utility for EPSON scanners

Image Scan! is a graphical scanner utility for people that do not need
all the bells and whistles provided by several of the other utilities
out there (xsane, QuiteInsane, Kooka).
At the moment it only supports SEIKO EPSON scanners and all-in-ones.
However, the scanner driver it provides can be used by any other SANE
standard compliant scanner utility.
Note that several scanners require a non-free plugin before they can be
used with this software.

The bundle from Epson provides the iscan, plus the driver epkowa, some
non-free plugins, iscan data package, and a network plugin (As I
understand it).

But I tried the OBS package, and it has made no difference.  The
scanner is still not recognized.

On Mon, 2017-06-19 at 09:02 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:

>  The version of this
> > software is
> > iscan-bundle-1.0.4.x64.rpm
> >
> > But the scanner won't install on this computer using yast; here's
> > the
> > details.
>
> I know that this is one of those "But it works for me" posts :-) but
> have the Epson Perfection V550 Photo and I had no hassles in
> installing
> it in Leap 42.2.
I could write the same post regarding my previous computer.

> This may not help but try two things: remove the iscan/epkowa driver
> and
> re-install; but after installation switch off the computer, let it
> stand
> for a minute or so then reboot.
I tried it, unfortunately that isn't the solution.  It still didn't
recognize the scanner.

> I had trouble with another app. which I had just installed but it was
> nowhere to be seen -- until I rebooted the desktop after which its
> icon
> appeared and the app. worked. As I said, just a thought which may
> work...
I have the iscan package installed, which is just a scanning program.
 The package icon is in the start menu, and I can start the program.
But it also says that there is no scanner.

> (BTW, isn't there something in the instructions about how to install
> the
> Epson where you install the driver first and _before_ switching the
> scanner on? relying on memory here so probably wrong in what I just
> said.)
Well, if there is I didn't find it originally, and I just reviewed it
again without seeing that.  As far as I can see, there are no
instructions at all in that regard.  But it makes sense to give it a
shot, so I did remove the driver, reinstalled it with the scanner power
off, and then tried to configure the scanner in yast.  But I still get
the same result, the driver isn't recognizing the scanner.

Could this be something that has to be changed in the BIOS to make it
work?

> BC
>
> --
> Government has become a committee for managing the affairs of the
> rich.

Re: Epson Scanner V500 Isn't Detected

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Mark Misulich <[hidden email]> [06-18-17 17:39]:

> Hi,
> I installed Opensuse 42.2 on a computer that I finished
> building the other day.  I am using KDE 5.8.6-7.1 as the
> desktop environment.  I am trying to install an Epson
> Perfection V500 Photo Scanner that I have used for maybe 7 years
> on my previous desktop computer using various Opensuse versions
> starting with 12.something up to 42.2, with the Epson iscan
> installation software for this scanner. The version of this software is
> iscan-bundle-1.0.4.x64.rpm
>
> But the scanner won't install on this computer using yast; here's the
> details.

just to see what your computer does see,

  unplug the scanner
  plug the scanner in
  immediately run:
     dmesg -T | tail -n 20

should show what or if the computer is seeing the device.  you will be
able to tell.

Re: Epson Scanner V500 Isn't Detected

Doug McGarrett

On 06/18/2017 07:47 PM, Mark Misulich wrote:

> On Mon, 2017-06-19 at 00:12 +0200, gumb wrote:
>>
>> I don't know anything about Epson devices under Linux. But is the
>> 'iscan
>> driver bundle' different from this iscan package on OBS?
>> https://software.opensuse.org/package/iscan
>>
> There is an iscan package in yast, here is the description:
>
> iscan - simple, easy to use scanner utility for EPSON scanners
>
> Image Scan! is a graphical scanner utility for people that do not need
> all the bells and whistles provided by several of the other utilities
> out there (xsane, QuiteInsane, Kooka).
> At the moment it only supports SEIKO EPSON scanners and all-in-ones.
> However, the scanner driver it provides can be used by any other SANE
> standard compliant scanner utility.
> Note that several scanners require a non-free plugin before they can be
> used with this software.
>
> The bundle from Epson provides the iscan, plus the driver epkowa, some
> non-free plugins, iscan data package, and a network plugin (As I
> understand it).
>
> But I tried the OBS package, and it has made no difference.  The
> scanner is still not recognized.

In PCLOS, there is a file, /etc/sane.d/dll.conf. In it there are two
entries for Epson. It is necessary to COMMENT OUT epson and comment in
epson2.
Don't know if that's the problem in your system, but at least look and
see. (A # in front of the line comments it out. Remove the # from in
front of
epson2.)

--doug

On Sun, 2017-06-18 at 20:11 -0500, Doug wrote:

> On 06/18/2017 07:47 PM, Mark Misulich wrote:
> >

> In PCLOS, there is a file, /etc/sane.d/dll.conf. In it there are two
> entries for Epson. It is necessary to COMMENT OUT epson and comment
> in
> epson2.
> Don't know if that's the problem in your system, but at least look
> and
> see. (A # in front of the line comments it out. Remove the # from in
> front of
> epson2.)
>
> --doug

Thanks Doug,

I tried your suggestion of uncommenting Epson2, but it only added
another driver to the list in the Yast Scanner configuration window
showing that it didn't recognize the scanner.  I then re-commented
Epson2 and uncommented Epson.  Same result.

I looked for epkowa in the list to see if I could uncomment it, but
there is no epkowa listed in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf.   I looked around in
/etc/sane.d and found /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf

Here is what I found in it:
# For any USB scanner not known to the backend (yet), you may, at your
# own peril(!!), force the backend to recognise and use it via libusb.
# You can do so by the following configuration command:

#   usb <USB vendor ID> <USB product ID>
#
# SEIKO EPSON's USB vendor ID is '0x04b8' (without quotes).  In order
# to find the USB product ID, use lsusb(1).
# A sample configuration for the Epson Perfection 1650 (Epson GT-8200),
# which has a product ID of 0x0110, would look as follows:
#
#usb 0x04b8 0x0110

I used lsusb to find this

Bus 001 Device 007: ID 04b8:0130 Seiko Epson Corp. GT-X770 [Perfection
V500]

I added this line to the epkowa.conf

usb 0x04b8 0x0130

Now in the Yast Scanner Configuration window, I get

Driver Scanner
epkowa Epson (unknown model) at epkowa:usb:001:007
Not Configured EPSON Scanner USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8[EPSON],
                product=0x0130 [EPSON Scanner]) at libusb:001:007

Then I added this to the dll.conf

epkowa

I got the same result in the Yast Scanner Configuration window as
above.

On Sun, 2017-06-18 at 21:06 -0400, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> * Mark Misulich <[hidden email]> [06-18-17 17:39]:
> >

> just to see what your computer does see,
>
>   unplug the scanner
>   plug the scanner in
>   immediately run:
>      dmesg -T | tail -n 20
>
> should show what or if the computer is seeing the device.  you will
> be
> able to tell.
>
> --
Here is the readout:
dmesg -T | tail -n 20
[Sun Jun 18 20:36:59 2017] usb 1-6.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1,
Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[Sun Jun 18 20:36:59 2017] usb 1-6.3: Product: EPSON Scanner
[Sun Jun 18 20:36:59 2017] usb 1-6.3: Manufacturer: EPSON
[Sun Jun 18 20:38:42 2017] fuse init (API version 7.23)
[Sun Jun 18 20:38:42 2017] SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=eth0 OUT=
MAC=1c:1b:0d:f6:51:56:00:13:46:f0:d5:74:08:00 SRC=192.168.0.1
DST=192.168.0.103 LEN=378 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP
SPT=2221 DPT=56348 LEN=358
[Sun Jun 18 20:38:42 2017] SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=eth0 OUT=
MAC=1c:1b:0d:f6:51:56:00:13:46:f0:d5:74:08:00 SRC=192.168.0.1
DST=192.168.0.103 LEN=378 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP
SPT=2221 DPT=56348 LEN=358
[Sun Jun 18 20:43:31 2017] usb 1-6.3: USB disconnect, device number 5
[Sun Jun 18 20:44:53 2017] usb 1-6.3: new full-speed USB device number
6 using xhci_hcd
[Sun Jun 18 20:44:54 2017] usb 1-6.3: not running at top speed; connect
to a high speed hub
[Sun Jun 18 20:44:54 2017] usb 1-6.3: New USB device found,
idVendor=04b8, idProduct=0130
[Sun Jun 18 20:44:54 2017] usb 1-6.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1,
Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[Sun Jun 18 20:44:54 2017] usb 1-6.3: Product: EPSON Scanner
[Sun Jun 18 20:44:54 2017] usb 1-6.3: Manufacturer: EPSON
[Sun Jun 18 20:58:37 2017] usb 1-6.3: USB disconnect, device number 6
[Sun Jun 18 21:38:42 2017] usb 1-6.3: new full-speed USB device number
7 using xhci_hcd
[Sun Jun 18 21:38:42 2017] usb 1-6.3: not running at top speed; connect
to a high speed hub
[Sun Jun 18 21:38:42 2017] usb 1-6.3: New USB device found,
idVendor=04b8, idProduct=0130
[Sun Jun 18 21:38:42 2017] usb 1-6.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1,
Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[Sun Jun 18 21:38:42 2017] usb 1-6.3: Product: EPSON Scanner
[Sun Jun 18 21:38:42 2017] usb 1-6.3: Manufacturer: EPSON

On 19/06/17 10:55, Mark Misulich wrote:

> On Mon, 2017-06-19 at 09:02 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>  The version of this
>>> software is
>>> iscan-bundle-1.0.4.x64.rpm
>>>
>>> But the scanner won't install on this computer using yast; here's
>>> the
>>> details.
>> I know that this is one of those "But it works for me" posts :-) but
>> have the Epson Perfection V550 Photo and I had no hassles in
>> installing
>> it in Leap 42.2.
> I could write the same post regarding my previous computer.

I hadn't read this list but saw your msg in my Inbox so replied to you
directly but now will repeat what I said privately :-).

As I indicated, I missed this until now but it appears that the version
of iscan/eplowa you mention above is an old version. I have installed
verson 2.30.2-2 from Epson site itself (Epson took over Avasys).

[prune]

> Could this be something that has to be changed in the BIOS to make it
> work?

Not that I am aware of. Certainly nothing in my BIOS I had to fiddle with.

Someone may mention that you may need to set something in the Group
option in Yast's Security and Users section but I don't have anything
set there so that would not be an answer.

But there is the setting in (KDE) System Settings "Removable Storage"
which you would have already looked at so there is no need to mention
this one :-).

I know that it is a sill question, but the scanner is in working order,
right? :-)

BC

On Mon, 2017-06-19 at 11:46 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:

> On 19/06/17 10:55, Mark Misulich wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 2017-06-19 at 09:02 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
> > >
> > >  The version of this

> I just noticed something which I overlooked till now.
>
> You mention above that the iscan you have is version 1.0.4.* but this
> is
> an old version. I have version 2.30.2-2 installed.
>
> BTW, AVASYS has been taken over by Epson itself and the new driver
> (epkowa) is now comes from the Epson site.
>
> Is this your problem?

I don't think that is the issue.  The actual iscan program version that
is installed is 2.30.3-9.1.  The iscan bundle was downloaded off the
Epson driver site this afternoon, and it is the latest, presumably,
with version 1.0.4.  The bundle contains all the bits, iscan is just
the scanning GUI program and comes in the iscan bundle.

> > Could this be something that has to be changed in the BIOS to make
> > it
> > work?
>
> No, there is nothing in the BIOS, at least not in mine, that has
> anthing
> to do with the scanner. Unless of course your Bios has some setting
> which controls USB connections.
>
> But there is a setting in Start>Settings>System Settings>Removable
> Storage which may have an effect.
I don't see anything in there regarding "scanner."

On 19/06/17 12:20, Mark Misulich wrote:

> On Sun, 2017-06-18 at 20:11 -0500, Doug wrote:
>> On 06/18/2017 07:47 PM, Mark Misulich wrote:
>>>

>> In PCLOS, there is a file, /etc/sane.d/dll.conf. In it there are two
>> entries for Epson. It is necessary to COMMENT OUT epson and comment
>> in
>> epson2.
>> Don't know if that's the problem in your system, but at least look
>> and
>> see. (A # in front of the line comments it out. Remove the # from in
>> front of
>> epson2.)
>>
>> --doug
> Thanks Doug,
>
> I tried your suggestion of uncommenting Epson2, but it only added
> another driver to the list in the Yast Scanner configuration window
> showing that it didn't recognize the scanner.  I then re-commented
> Epson2 and uncommented Epson.  Same result.

Those entries in that file have nothing to do with the problem. However,
when you install the sane/epkowa driver 'epkowa' is inserted at the
_end_ of that file.

[pruned]

 BC

On Mon, 2017-06-19 at 12:32 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:

> On 19/06/17 10:55, Mark Misulich wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 2017-06-19 at 09:02 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
> > >
> > >  The version of this

> I hadn't read this list but saw your msg in my Inbox so replied to
> you
> directly but now will repeat what I said privately :-).
>
> As I indicated, I missed this until now but it appears that the
> version
> of iscan/eplowa you mention above is an old version. I have installed
> verson 2.30.2-2 from Epson site itself (Epson took over Avasys).
>
> [prune]
>
> The iscan bundle is 1.0.4, and includes the iscan scanner gui
> program.  My iscan program is 2.30.3-9*
> >
> > Could this be something that has to be changed in the BIOS to make
> > it
> > work?
>
> Not that I am aware of. Certainly nothing in my BIOS I had to fiddle
> with.
>
> Someone may mention that you may need to set something in the Group
> option in Yast's Security and Users section but I don't have anything
> set there so that would not be an answer.
>
> But there is the setting in (KDE) System Settings "Removable Storage"
> which you would have already looked at so there is no need to mention
> this one :-).
>
> I know that it is a sill question, but the scanner is in working
> order,
> right? :-)

Yes, it's working, just not on this computer.  I just switched out the
old box for the new, and hooked it up the same as the old box.  Now the
scanner isn't working on the new box with the same operating system
(42.2). The new box is a multiboot, with Win7 and 42.2.  The scanner
works on Win7, not on 42.2 on the new box.

On Mon, 2017-06-19 at 12:38 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 19/06/17 12:20, Mark Misulich wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 2017-06-18 at 20:11 -0500, Doug wrote:
> Those entries in that file have nothing to do with the problem.
> However,
> when you install the sane/epkowa driver 'epkowa' is inserted at the
> _end_ of that file.

Thanks for checking on that detail, epkowa is at the end of the list
(bottom) of the dll.conf file.

On 19/06/17 12:32, Mark Misulich wrote:

> On Mon, 2017-06-19 at 11:46 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>>>>

>> I just noticed something which I overlooked till now.
>>
>> You mention above that the iscan you have is version 1.0.4.* but this
>> is
>> an old version. I have version 2.30.2-2 installed.
>>
>> BTW, AVASYS has been taken over by Epson itself and the new driver
>> (epkowa) is now comes from the Epson site.
>>
>> Is this your problem?
>>
> I don't think that is the issue.  The actual iscan program version that
> is installed is 2.30.3-9.1.  The iscan bundle was downloaded off the
> Epson driver site this afternoon, and it is the latest, presumably,
> with version 1.0.4.  The bundle contains all the bits, iscan is just
> the scanning GUI program and comes in the iscan bundle.

Ah, so it appears that there may be a newer version. I'll go looking now.

> Could this be something that has to be changed in the BIOS to make
>>> it
>>> work?
>> No, there is nothing in the BIOS, at least not in mine, that has
>> anthing
>> to do with the scanner. Unless of course your Bios has some setting
>> which controls USB connections.
>>
>> But there is a setting in Start>Settings>System Settings>Removable
>> Storage which may have an effect.
> I don't see anything in there regarding "scanner."

No, nothing using the word scanner but how are your removable storage
configured to be recognised by the system: on plug-in, only when
previously manually mounted, ...?

BC

On 19/06/17 12:39, Mark Misulich wrote:

> On Mon, 2017-06-19 at 12:32 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>>>>

>> I hadn't read this list but saw your msg in my Inbox so replied to
>> you
>> directly but now will repeat what I said privately :-).
>>
>> As I indicated, I missed this until now but it appears that the
>> version
>> of iscan/eplowa you mention above is an old version. I have installed
>> verson 2.30.2-2 from Epson site itself (Epson took over Avasys).
>>
>> [prune]
>>
>> The iscan bundle is 1.0.4, and includes the iscan scanner gui
>> program.  My iscan program is 2.30.3-9*
>>> Could this be something that has to be changed in the BIOS to make
>>> it
>>> work?
>> Not that I am aware of. Certainly nothing in my BIOS I had to fiddle
>> with.
>>
>> Someone may mention that you may need to set something in the Group
>> option in Yast's Security and Users section but I don't have anything
>> set there so that would not be an answer.
>>
>> But there is the setting in (KDE) System Settings "Removable Storage"
>> which you would have already looked at so there is no need to mention
>> this one :-).
>>
>> I know that it is a sill question, but the scanner is in working
>> order,
>> right? :-)
> Yes, it's working, just not on this computer.  I just switched out the
> old box for the new, and hooked it up the same as the old box.  Now the
> scanner isn't working on the new box with the same operating system
> (42.2). The new box is a multiboot, with Win7 and 42.2.  The scanner
> works on Win7, not on 42.2 on the new box.

Ummm, I have trouble in getting my printer to work on the network (so
that my wife can also use it) but the printer is not recognised in Yast.
I am wondering if your scanner is similarly affected?

BC

--
Government has become a committee for managing the affairs of the rich.

Re: Epson Scanner V500 Isn't Detected

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Mark Misulich <[hidden email]> [06-18-17 22:24]:

> On Sun, 2017-06-18 at 21:06 -0400, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > * Mark Misulich <[hidden email]> [06-18-17 17:39]:
> > >

> > just to see what your computer does see,
> >
> >   unplug the scanner
> >   plug the scanner in
> >   immediately run:
> >      dmesg -T | tail -n 20
> >
> > should show what or if the computer is seeing the device.  you will
> > be
> > able to tell.
> >
> > --
> Here is the readout:
> dmesg -T | tail -n 20
> [Sun Jun 18 20:36:59 2017] usb 1-6.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1,
> Product=2, SerialNumber=0
> [Sun Jun 18 20:36:59 2017] usb 1-6.3: Product: EPSON Scanner
> [Sun Jun 18 20:36:59 2017] usb 1-6.3: Manufacturer: EPSON
> [Sun Jun 18 20:38:42 2017] fuse init (API version 7.23)

ok, there is no doubt you computer recognizes the scanner and you say you
have properly installed epson iscan 1.04

https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/printing-and-scanning/unable-to-get-epson-scanner-working-ll3-2/
describes a successful install but iscan version number do not look right.

the conversations is dated December last, so might help you.

On Mon, 2017-06-19 at 12:42 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:

> On 19/06/17 12:32, Mark Misulich wrote:

> > > I just noticed something which I overlooked till now.
> > >
> > > You mention above that the iscan you have is version 1.0.4.* but
> > > this
> > > is
> > > an old version. I have version 2.30.2-2 installed.
> > >
> > > BTW, AVASYS has been taken over by Epson itself and the new
> > > driver
> > > (epkowa) is now comes from the Epson site.
> > >
> > > Is this your problem?
> > >
> > I don't think that is the issue.  The actual iscan program version
> > that
> > is installed is 2.30.3-9.1.  The iscan bundle was downloaded off
> > the
> > Epson driver site this afternoon, and it is the latest, presumably,
> > with version 1.0.4.  The bundle contains all the bits, iscan is
> > just
> > the scanning GUI program and comes in the iscan bundle.
>
> Ah, so it appears that there may be a newer version. I'll go looking
> now.
That version came from the post by Doug referring me to the OBS iscan
package.  I installed the package, and it has a newer version number
than the one that would be available from the regular repositories.
 Sorry, I should have made that clear in my post.

> > Could this be something that has to be changed in the BIOS to make

> > > No, there is nothing in the BIOS, at least not in mine, that has
> > > anthing
> > > to do with the scanner. Unless of course your Bios has some
> > > setting
> > > which controls USB connections.
> > >
> > > But there is a setting in Start>Settings>System
> > > Settings>Removable
> > > Storage which may have an effect.
> > I don't see anything in there regarding "scanner."
>
> No, nothing using the word scanner but how are your removable storage
> configured to be recognised by the system: on plug-in, only when
> previously manually mounted, ...?

Not exactly sure what you are asking in this question, but the window
for Removable Devices has a heading "Configure automatic handling of
removable storage media."  Below that it has an unchecked checkbox
titled "Enable automatic mounting of removable media." Everything
below that line is ghosted out.

On 19/06/17 12:51, Mark Misulich wrote:
> On Mon, 2017-06-19 at 12:42 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:

[pruned]

>> No, nothing using the word scanner but how are your removable storage
>> configured to be recognised by the system: on plug-in, only when
>> previously manually mounted, ...?
> Not exactly sure what you are asking in this question, but the window
> for Removable Devices has a heading "Configure automatic handling of
> removable storage media."  Below that it has an unchecked checkbox
> titled "Enable automatic mounting of removable media." Everything
> below that line is ghosted out.

OK, I see from your reply to Patrick that the scanner is at least
recognised by the system but not by Yast so the above may not be
contributing to the problem.

However, if you want USB devices (eg a memory stick) to be handled when
you plug them in then tick that checkbox to enable mounting of removable
devices and then tick whichever options you want to be activated. In my
case, I have the second and third boxes ticked.

BC

On 2017-06-19 04:50, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> * Mark Misulich <> [06-18-17 22:24]:
>> On Sun, 2017-06-18 at 21:06 -0400, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
>>> * Mark Misulich <> [06-18-17 17:39]:
>>>>

>>> just to see what your computer does see,
>>>
>>>   unplug the scanner
>>>   plug the scanner in
>>>   immediately run:
>>>      dmesg -T | tail -n 20
>>>
>>> should show what or if the computer is seeing the device.  you will
>>> be
>>> able to tell.
>>>

>> Here is the readout:
>> dmesg -T | tail -n 20
>> [Sun Jun 18 20:36:59 2017] usb 1-6.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1,
>> Product=2, SerialNumber=0
>> [Sun Jun 18 20:36:59 2017] usb 1-6.3: Product: EPSON Scanner
>> [Sun Jun 18 20:36:59 2017] usb 1-6.3: Manufacturer: EPSON
>> [Sun Jun 18 20:38:42 2017] fuse init (API version 7.23)
>
> ok, there is no doubt you computer recognizes the scanner and you say you
> have properly installed epson iscan 1.04
Being a little pedantic, I would not say "recognizes". It does indeed
see it and list what it is, but that is a piece of the USB standard:
just a question of reading two numbers on the output and looking them up
in a list of manufacturers. It doesn't say anything about the proper
drivers being loaded or even existing in the system.