Elections on hold

Martin Pluskal-2

Re: Elections on hold

Richard Brown
Hello Martin,

On 25 January 2017 at 13:09, Martin Pluskal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have to regretfully inform you, that due to technical difficulties in
> our tool connect.opensuse.org we have to put current elections on hold.
> I deeply apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused to you.
>
> Technical problems that many of you noticed on the mailinglist proven
> to have more than visual consequences and our administrators are now
> looking in the issue trying to figure out how to solve the underlying
> problem.
>
> Election team will update election schedule and inform you about next
> steps as soon as possible (whether we can continue/recover current poll
> or if we will need to start from scratch).
>

> Kind regards from election team
>
> Martin Pluskal

Thank you for the announcement and all the work you & the team have
and will do to resolve this situation.

Due to the exceptional circumstances, the openSUSE Board will continue
operating with it's currently elected members.

In the unlikely event of any major Board decisions being required
during this exceptional extension of the current Board, we will
consider options such as delaying the decision until the new board
members are chosen, or possibly including all of the candidates in the
decision making process.

Our priority is ensuring continuity while these technical issues get
fixed and will do our best to balance the needs for timely decisions
with the expectation that we should have been transitioning to a new
elected Board chosen by the community.

Once we get back on track, with elections that effectively fill the
two positions to be vacated by Kostas and Michal, the 2 year
term-length of those new board members will start from the date of
their election. Or in other words, once we're able to fix these
technical issues, the communities chosen board members will still
serve a full 2 year term from that date, so the candidates will not be
disadvantaged by this delay.

Kind regards,

Richard Brown
On behalf of the openSUSE Board