Editing address book in an Android phone - I search for an app

Editing address book in an Android phone - I search for an app

I wonder if someone knows of an application to edit the address book, or
phone book, whatever, in an android phone, in the computer, with Linux.
Not only the google address book that is associated with the phone, but
the complete thing. If the phone makes a difference, it is a Moto-X
play. And if there are no suitable apps in Linux, maybe a Windows one. I
have to tidy up the list, and editing in the phone itself I find cumbersome.

I googled, but what I find seems to be export to csv, edit, import
again. Not exactly what I would like to do...

--
Saludos/Cheers,

   Carlos E.R. (Minas-Morgul - W10)

Re: Editing address book in an Android phone - I search for an app

John Andersen-2
On April 3, 2016 8:23:18 AM PDT, "Carlos E. R." <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I wonder if someone knows of an application to edit the address book,
>or
>phone book, whatever, in an android phone, in the computer, with Linux.
>
>Not only the google address book that is associated with the phone, but
>
>the complete thing. If the phone makes a difference, it is a Moto-X
>play. And if there are no suitable apps in Linux, maybe a Windows one.
>have to tidy up the list, and editing in the phone itself I find
>cumbersome.
>

>I googled, but what I find seems to be export to csv, edit, import
>again. Not exactly what I would like to do...

OK, I have to admit right off the top here that for addresses I use only the Google address book option. You sold my soul to Google.

If all of your phone book entries are Google entries, and none are stored ONLY in the phone's local address book, then you can edit them at HTTPS://contacts.Google.com and any changes are synced with all your devices.

Re: Editing address book in an Android phone - I search for an app

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2016-04-03 17:34, John Andersen wrote:
> On April 3, 2016 8:23:18 AM PDT, "Carlos E. R." <> wrote:

>> I googled, but what I find seems to be export to csv, edit, import
>> again. Not exactly what I would like to do...
>
> OK, I have to admit right off the top here that for addresses I use only the Google address book option. You sold my soul to Google.
>
> If all of your phone book entries are Google entries, and none are stored ONLY in the phone's local address book, then you can edit them at HTTPS://contacts.Google.com and any changes are synced with all your devices.

But they aren't...

                (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

On April 3, 2016 8:34:15 AM PDT, John Andersen <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On April 3, 2016 8:23:18 AM PDT, "Carlos E. R."
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>I wonder if someone knows of an application to edit the address book,
>>or
>>phone book, whatever, in an android phone, in the computer, with
>Linux.
>>
>>Not only the google address book that is associated with the phone,
>but
>>
>>the complete thing. If the phone makes a difference, it is a Moto-X
>>play. And if there are no suitable apps in Linux, maybe a Windows one.
>>have to tidy up the list, and editing in the phone itself I find
>>cumbersome.
>>

>>I googled, but what I find seems to be export to csv, edit, import
>>again. Not exactly what I would like to do...
>
>OK, I have to admit right off the top here that for addresses I use
>only the Google address book option. You sold my soul to Google.
>
>If all of your phone book entries are Google entries, and none are
>stored ONLY in the phone's local address book, then you can edit them
>at HTTPS://contacts.Google.com and any changes are synced with all your
>devices.

Meant to add that I've satisfied my self that Google does no Evil mining of address book entries as far as I can tell.

 Unlike facebook, which will set up shadow profiles of any one you add to your facebook contacts list, and send them invitations to join facebook.  LinkedIn does the same.

Therefore, the utility of Google contacts syncing outweighs the negatives.

And if you don't want to edit your contacts on the above mentioned website you can use the thunderbird plugin, or the KDE address plugin to sync without Google contacts.

But I've found both of those are flakey and they mess up the address book on Google, so I set them to sync one way only, or not as all.

It's just easier to maintain contacts using the browser.

On April 3, 2016 8:47:12 AM PDT, "Carlos E. R." <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 2016-04-03 17:34, John Andersen wrote:
>> On April 3, 2016 8:23:18 AM PDT, "Carlos E. R." <> wrote:
>
>>> I googled, but what I find seems to be export to csv, edit, import
>>> again. Not exactly what I would like to do...
>>
>> OK, I have to admit right off the top here that for addresses I use
>only the Google address book option. You sold my soul to Google.
>>
>> If all of your phone book entries are Google entries, and none are
>stored ONLY in the phone's local address book, then you can edit them
>at HTTPS://contacts.Google.com and any changes are synced with all your
>devices.
>
>But they aren't...

Then you are doing it wrong. Because this works for every other Android user in the world. Check your settings all around. Or ask some random teenager for help. 😁

On 2016-04-03 17:53, John Andersen wrote:
> On April 3, 2016 8:47:12 AM PDT, "Carlos E. R." <> wrote:

>>> If all of your phone book entries are Google entries, and none are
>> stored ONLY in the phone's local address book, then you can edit them
>> at HTTPS://contacts.Google.com and any changes are synced with all your
>> devices.
>>
>> But they aren't...
>
> Then you are doing it wrong. Because this works for every other Android user in the world. Check your settings all around. Or ask some random teenager for help. 😁

No, I simply want my address book private, stored on my phone, not on
google servers.

Teenagers do not know enough yet, too young :-p

For instance, Samsung phones have a Windows application to manage
address books and other data. But not Motorola.

                (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

Re: Editing address book in an Android phone - I search for an app

James Knott
On 04/03/2016 11:23 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wonder if someone knows of an application to edit the address book,
> or phone book, whatever, in an android phone, in the computer, with
> Linux. Not only the google address book that is associated with the
> phone, but the complete thing. If the phone makes a difference, it is
> a Moto-X play. And if there are no suitable apps in Linux, maybe a
> Windows one. I have to tidy up the list, and editing in the phone
> itself I find cumbersome.
>

> I googled, but what I find seems to be export to csv, edit, import
> again. Not exactly what I would like to do...

I just use Google Contacts and can edit my contacts with the web site or
in my computer address book in Seamonkey or Thunderbird. (I use
gContactSync to sync email apps.)

Re: Editing address book in an Android phone - I search for an app

Daniel Bauer

Am 03.04.2016 um 18:02 schrieb Carlos E. R.:

>>> stored ONLY in the phone's local address book, then you can edit them
>>> at HTTPS://contacts.Google.com and any changes are synced with all your
>>> devices.
>>>
>>> But they aren't...
>>
>> Then you are doing it wrong. Because this works for every other Android user in the world. Check your settings all around. Or ask some random teenager for help. 😁
>
> No, I simply want my address book private, stored on my phone, not on
> google servers.
>
> Teenagers do not know enough yet, too young :-p

Right!

I even hate to think that others, who I must call, sync their address
book to the data monster, giving them my phone number without that I
ever accepted anything googlish. I also hate to write to gmail addresses
(although, sadly, I cannot avoid it) where my mails get analysed, again
without my consent.

Any smaller company dealing with personal data this way could visit
their managers in jail...
http://www.daniel-bauer.com
room in Barcelona: https://www.airbnb.es/rooms/2416137

On 04/03/2016 11:47 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> If all of your phone book entries are Google entries, and none are stored ONLY in the phone's local address book, then you can edit them at HTTPS://contacts.Google.com and any changes are synced with all your devices.
> But they aren't...
Why not?  That's the normal way of doing things.

Or is this one of those weird Spanish things again?  ;-)

On 04/03/2016 12:02 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> No, I simply want my address book private, stored on my phone, not on
> google servers.

I want my address books to be synced everywhere.  Through Google
Contacts, my phone, tablet, email apps on various computers and
operating systems, along with web access all contain exactly the same
contacts, synced automagically via Google Contacts.  Also, given Googles
stance on privacy, I don't think you have much to worry about.

Re: Editing address book in an Android phone - I search for an app

Per Jessen
James Knott wrote:

> On 04/03/2016 12:02 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> No, I simply want my address book private, stored on my phone, not on
>> google servers.
>
> I want my address books to be synced everywhere.  Through Google
> Contacts, my phone, tablet, email apps on various computers and
> operating systems, along with web access all contain exactly the same
> contacts, synced automagically via Google Contacts.  Also, given
> Googles stance on privacy, I don't think you have much to worry about.

Given that Google is a US company and given the USA's stance on privacy,
I think you have everything to worry about :-(

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (19.4°C)
http://www.dns24.ch/ - free dynamic DNS, made in Switzerland.

On 04/03/2016 12:40 PM, James Knott wrote:
> On 04/03/2016 12:02 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> No, I simply want my address book private, stored on my phone, not on
>> google servers.
> I want my address books to be synced everywhere.  Through Google
> Contacts, my phone, tablet, email apps on various computers and
> operating systems, along with web access all contain exactly the same
> contacts, synced automagically via Google Contacts.  Also, given Googles
> stance on privacy, I don't think you have much to worry about.

I forgot to include the link:
https://privacy.google.com/

On April 3, 2016 9:40:23 AM PDT, James Knott <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 04/03/2016 12:02 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> No, I simply want my address book private, stored on my phone, not on
>> google servers.
>
>I want my address books to be synced everywhere.  Through Google
>Contacts, my phone, tablet, email apps on various computers and
>operating systems, along with web access all contain exactly the same
>contacts, synced automagically via Google Contacts.  Also, given
>Googles
>stance on privacy, I don't think you have much to worry about.

Pretty much my take as well. I've never seen any indication of abuse.

If paranoia rules your world, YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS OWNING ANY SMARTPHONE.

On 03/04/2016 18:36, James Knott wrote:
> On 04/03/2016 11:47 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>> If all of your phone book entries are Google entries, and none are stored ONLY in the phone's local address book, then you can edit them at HTTPS://contacts.Google.com and any changes are synced with all your devices.
>> But they aren't...
> Why not?  That's the normal way of doing things.
>
> Or is this one of those weird Spanish things again?  ;-)

No... most contacts are inherited from a non-android phone. And two, it
is intentionally so by me.

On 03/04/2016 17:23, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> I googled, but what I find seems to be export to csv, edit, import
> again. Not exactly what I would like to do...

There is indeed a facility to export the entire list to a "contacts.vcf"
file. As this laptop is currently running Windows, I tried there. The
file can be opened by a "contacts" application, a microsoft app that
only displays one contact, no details, or by another "windows contacts"
apps that seems to open a window per contact, and displays more data.
None of these two apps seem suitable.

What about VCF editors in Linux?

http://www.techyv.com/questions/need-good-linux-vcard-editor-edit-contacts

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (19.4°C)
http://www.hostsuisse.com/ - dedicated server rental in Switzerland.

Re: Editing address book in an Android phone - I search for an app

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Carlos E. R. <[hidden email]> [04-03-16 12:05]:

> >> stored ONLY in the phone's local address book, then you can edit them
> >> at HTTPS://contacts.Google.com and any changes are synced with all your
> >> devices.
> >>
> >> But they aren't...
> >
> > Then you are doing it wrong. Because this works for every other Android user in the world. Check your settings all around. Or ask some random teenager for help. 😁
>
> No, I simply want my address book private, stored on my phone, not on
> google servers.

get AirDroid from play.google.com, you can edit your phone book with it
and has *nothing* to do with google.

http://wahoo.no-ip.org        Photo Album: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2

On 04/03/2016 12:42 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
> Given that Google is a US company and given the USA's stance on privacy,
> I think you have everything to worry about :-(

If you're that worried, then you pretty much have to stay off the
Internet, cell network, etc.  How many people use encryption on email?
Anyone with access to the networks can read everything going by, unless
encrypted.  This includes email addresses of anyone you communicate
with.  Google was a leader in moving to SSL/TLS for server connections,
both for users and peers.  You can see this, not only with email, but
also other Google owned servers, where http has been replaced with
https.  They recently announced that Hangouts voice and video calls will
be sent peer - peer whenever possible, to keep them off the servers.
Again, this is another thing they do to protect privacy.

BTW, even contact lists that are only on phones are not necessarily
secure, as shown by the FBI breaking into that iPhone that Apple refused
to help with.

Also, some countries have far more intrusive policies for private
information.  I recall in the news a while ago about how Blackberry
might stop offering service in some countries that were demanding access
to email etc.

Re: Editing address book in an Android phone - I search for an app

Mark Goldstein
On Sun, Apr 3, 2016 at 7:58 PM, Patrick Shanahan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> get AirDroid from play.google.com, you can edit your phone book with it
> and has *nothing* to do with google.

Yes, Airdroid works. Under Windows you can also use MyPhoneExplorer
(connecting to phone over USB)

--
Mark Goldstein

Re: Editing address book in an Android phone - I search for an app

auxsvr
On Sunday, 3 April 2016 17:23:18 EEST Carlos E. R. wrote:

> I wonder if someone knows of an application to edit the address book,
> or phone book, whatever, in an android phone, in the computer, with
> Linux. Not only the google address book that is associated with the
> phone, but the complete thing. If the phone makes a difference, it is
> a Moto-X play. And if there are no suitable apps in Linux, maybe a
> Windows one. I have to tidy up the list, and editing in the phone
> itself I find cumbersome.

I'm using DAVdroid to sync the contacts, calendar and todo list with an
owncloud server. This way, you can edit them using any client supporting
owncloud (caldav, carddav), such as kontact/akonadi.
Peter