Easy website creation

Aaron Bridge
Trying to find a simple website creation alternative that can run on
Suse 10.1.   Not a content management system.  I want to create a simple
site and host on opensuse.  I have looked at metadot and plone.  Both
are way more that I need.  Any suggestions?

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

re: Easy website creation

Stevens-8
> Trying to find a simple website creation alternative that can run on
> Suse 10.1.   Not a content management system.  I want to create a
> simple  site and host on opensuse.  I have looked at metadot and
> plone.  Both are way more that I need.  Any suggestions?

Uhhh, how about Mozilla Composer? It's a wysiwig editor.
Or is that too simple?

Fred

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Easy website creation

Ken Jennings
On Tuesday 07 November 2006 20:35, Aaron Bridge wrote:
> Trying to find a simple website creation alternative that can run on
> Suse 10.1.   Not a content management system.  I want to create a simple
> site and host on opensuse.  I have looked at metadot and plone.  Both
> are way more that I need.  Any suggestions?

I use vi

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Easy website creation

Randall Schulz
Aaron,

On Tuesday 07 November 2006 17:35, Aaron Bridge wrote:
> Trying to find a simple website creation alternative that can run on
> Suse 10.1.   Not a content management system.  I want to create a
> simple site and host on opensuse.  I have looked at metadot and
> plone.  Both are way more that I need.  Any suggestions?

If you're looking mainly for editing support, there's Quanta and
Bluefish.

Quanta: <http://quanta.sourceforge.net/>
Bluefish: <http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/>

Both are included in the stock SuSE distributions.

Randall Schulz

On Tuesday 07 November 2006 19:42, Ken Jennings wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 November 2006 20:35, Aaron Bridge wrote:
> > Trying to find a simple website creation alternative that can run
> > on Suse 10.1.   Not a content management system.  I want to create
> > a simple site and host on opensuse.  I have looked at metadot and
> > plone.  Both are way more that I need.  Any suggestions?
>
> I use vi

The use of vi requires a knowledge of html to get the pages right, a
wysiwyg editor allows one to be only marginally aware that html exists.
i.e., it's easier to use for the casual user.

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Easy website creation

Patrick Shanahan
* Aaron Bridge <[hidden email]> [11-07-06 20:38]:
> Trying to find a simple website creation alternative that can run on
> Suse 10.1.  Not a content management system.  I want to create a
> simple site and host on opensuse.  I have looked at metadot and
> plone.  Both are way more that I need.  Any suggestions?

nvu is simple and easy
--
Patrick Shanahan                        Registered Linux User #207535
http://wahoo.no-ip.org                        @ http://counter.li.org

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Easy website creation

Felix Miata
On 2006/11/07 20:35 (GMT-0500) Aaron Bridge apparently typed:

> Trying to find a simple website creation alternative that can run on
> Suse 10.1.   Not a content management system.  I want to create a simple
> site and host on opensuse.  I have looked at metadot and plone.  Both
> are way more that I need.  Any suggestions?

Mozilla, SeaMonkey, or NVU.
--
"Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven."
                                                Matthew 5:12 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/

Felix Miata wrote:

> On 2006/11/07 20:35 (GMT-0500) Aaron Bridge apparently typed:
>

>> Trying to find a simple website creation alternative that can run on
>> Suse 10.1.   Not a content management system.  I want to create a simple
>> site and host on opensuse.  I have looked at metadot and plone.  Both
>> are way more that I need.  Any suggestions?
>>

> Mozilla, SeaMonkey, or NVU.

NVU looks like it may me simple enough.  Any live sample sites?

Bugzilla from rll@felton.felton.ca.us
Stevens wrote:

>> Trying to find a simple website creation alternative that can run on
>> Suse 10.1.   Not a content management system.  I want to create a
>> simple  site and host on opensuse.  I have looked at metadot and
>> plone.  Both are way more that I need.  Any suggestions?
>>

> Uhhh, how about Mozilla Composer? It's a wysiwig editor.
> Or is that too simple?
>
> Fred

Look at Quanta Plus

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Easy website creation

Ed McCanless
Aaron Bridge wrote:
> Trying to find a simple website creation alternative that can run on
> Suse 10.1.   Not a content management system.  I want to create a
> simple site and host on opensuse.  I have looked at metadot and
> plone.  Both are way more that I need.  Any suggestions?

In addition to the suggestions already offered, Open Office Writer can
also be used.  Set up your page like any word processing job, then save
as html. Between Writer and Quanta+ my simple needs have been met.

       -- ED --

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Easy website creation

PerfectReign
On Tuesday 07 November 2006 17:35, Aaron Bridge wrote:
> Trying to find a simple website creation alternative that can run on
> Suse 10.1.   Not a content management system.  I want to create a simple
> site

What do you mean by "simple site"? Do you mean a static page(s) and just a
lookup?

> and host on opensuse.  I have looked at metadot and plone.  Both
> are way more that I need.  Any suggestions?

Does opensuse host webpages?  I wasn't aware of that.

If you want a static page, I'd suggest OpenOffice or NVu. Either will work for
you.

If you want any kind of CMS, then I'd suggest Xoops or Drupal. Both are "way
too much" but are still very simple. I use Drupal for my homepage, and only
utilize about 10% of the functionality.

--
kai ponte
www.perfectreign.com

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Easy website creation

Daniel Bauer
On Wednesday 08 November 2006 04:16, Ed McCanless wrote:

> Aaron Bridge wrote:
> > Trying to find a simple website creation alternative that can run on
> > Suse 10.1.   Not a content management system.  I want to create a
> > simple site and host on opensuse.  I have looked at metadot and
> > plone.  Both are way more that I need.  Any suggestions?
>
> In addition to the suggestions already offered, Open Office Writer can
> also be used.  Set up your page like any word processing job, then save
> as html. Between Writer and Quanta+ my simple needs have been met.
>
>        -- ED --

Be careful when opening/saving a weppage in OpenOffice. Even if you just "save
as" a html-file without applying any changes, OpenOffice inserts a lot of
unnecessary and/or unwanted code without asking you. It claims to be the
GENERATOR of the document, inserts your name which you entered when
installing OO as AUTHOR and CHANGEDBY, inserts language tags according to the
setting of your OO (no matter what language the page is), changes all lower
case tags to upper case... and so on. You can't even change that in the
source code using OO (well, you can change it, but next time you save it all
the rubbish is back there again...).

In my eyes OO's is *absolutely* unusable as a html editor.

Daniel
Madagascar special: http://www.sanic.ch

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Easy website creation

Jos van Kan
Daniel Bauer wrote:

> In my eyes OO's is *absolutely* unusable as a html editor.

I second that. OO produces horrible HTML, Comparable to MS-Word html.
'nuff said.

Jos van Kan                registered Linux user #152704

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Easy website creation

Randall Schulz
On Tuesday 07 November 2006 17:35, Aaron Bridge wrote:
> Trying to find a simple website creation alternative that can run on
> Suse 10.1.   Not a content management system.  I want to create a
> simple site and host on opensuse.  I have looked at metadot and
> plone.  Both are way more that I need.  Any suggestions?

If you find yourself using one of the code-generating HTML editors
(OpenOffice.org, e.g.) it might be worth your while to familiarize
yourself a bit with HTML Tidy (<http://tidy.sourceforge.net/>). It,
too, is included in the SuSE distribution.

I don't think it can fully clean up bad HTML, but it helps.

Randall Schulz

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Easy website creation

Mike McMullin
On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 20:42 -0500, Ken Jennings wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 November 2006 20:35, Aaron Bridge wrote:
> > Trying to find a simple website creation alternative that can run on
> > Suse 10.1.   Not a content management system.  I want to create a simple
> > site and host on opensuse.  I have looked at metadot and plone.  Both
> > are way more that I need.  Any suggestions?
>
> I use vi

  I use nedit, I like a few more bells and whistles.  :)

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]