Dynamic DNS service [OT]

Re: Dynamic DNS service [OT]

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Carlos E. R. <[hidden email]> [12-01-16 21:27]:

> Hi,
>
> Looking at my router, I see the possibility of setting up dynamic DNS
> service, for accessing my home from outside. My router offers these:
>
> DynDns.org
> TZO
> No-IP
>
> Do you have comments on any of those?

I have used no-ip for years.  They offered a lifetime dns for us$9 some
years after I first started which would not have advertisements, and
constant heckling to upgrade.  I jumped on.  Then another couple of years
they told me my service needed to be upgraded to subscription, that the
plan I had was being discontinued.  I replied with a copy of my $9
"lifetime" service and told them they had a contract with me they needed
to honor.

After some more banter back and forth, they agreed to provide me another
30 years service at no additional cost.  I accepted thinking that things
may change drastically in that time-frame (another 20+ years) and being
already in my late 60's (at that time), I may not have much need then.

> Using the configuration on the router would save me from setting up
> some daemon in Linux. Should be easier, right? If not, I'm of course
> open to other possibilities.

I run a simple daemon script they provided (freely available) and have
only updated it once.  Easy to set-up, not difficult at all, prompts for
info and does it's thing.

And my router, cisco/logitech (and several netgears) support dyndns but
not no-ip.

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2      Registered Linux User #207535
Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo                 @ http://linuxcounter.net

Re: Dynamic DNS service [OT]

Re: Dynamic DNS service [OT]

Per Jessen
Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Looking at my router, I see the possibility of setting up dynamic DNS
> service, for accessing my home from outside. My router offers these:
>
> DynDns.org
> TZO
> No-IP
>
> Do you have comments on any of those?

I think dyndns.org was turned into dyn.com which was recently bought by
Oracle, god knows why.

<shameless plug>
I can recommend http://www.dns24.ch
</shameless plug>

> Using the configuration on the router would save me from setting up
> some daemon in Linux. Should be easier, right? If not, I'm of course
> open to other possibilities.

It depends on how configurable your router is - if you can add your own
update string etc, running it on the router is fine.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (-1.2°C)
http://www.dns24.ch/ - free dynamic DNS, made in Switzerland.

Re: Dynamic DNS service [OT]

John Andersen-2
On December 1, 2016 6:24:23 PM PST, "Carlos E. R." <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've used funds for over 15 years. A paying customer for the last 9.

I've also used no-ip.  Fun has gotten to be big business, and is not really focused on the free offerings any more, but I think they still do, I believe.

Re: Dynamic DNS service [OT]

Thomas Wagner
Hi
On 2016-12-02 03:24, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> DynDns.org
> TZO
> No-IP
>
> Do you have comments on any of those?
IMHO they are not free. Either you have to login every couple of weeks
or pay.
I use the alternative firmware dd-wrt on all my routers (mostly cheak
TP-Link hardware) which support the free dyndns provider afraid.org.

best regards

Thomas

Re: Dynamic DNS service [OT]

Per Jessen
Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Looking at my router, I see the possibility of setting up dynamic DNS
> service, for accessing my home from outside. My router offers these:
>
> DynDns.org
> TZO
> No-IP
>
> Do you have comments on any of those?

I think dyndns.org was turned into dyn.com which was recently bought by
Oracle, god knows why.

<shameless plug>
I can recommend http://www.dns24.ch
</shameless plug>

> Using the configuration on the router would save me from setting up
> some daemon in Linux. Should be easier, right? If not, I'm of course
> open to other possibilities.

It depends on how configurable your router is - if you can add your own
update string etc, running it on the router is fine.  Otherwise it's a
simple cronjob on a linux box.

On 2016-12-02 07:35, Per Jessen wrote:
> Carlos E. R. wrote:

>> Looking at my router, I see the possibility of setting up dynamic DNS
>> service, for accessing my home from outside. My router offers these:
>>
>> DynDns.org
>> TZO
>> No-IP
>>
>> Do you have comments on any of those?
>
> I think dyndns.org was turned into dyn.com which was recently bought by
> Oracle, god knows why.
I hope my router knows that, or the setup will not work.

> <shameless plug>
> I can recommend http://www.dns24.ch
> </shameless plug>

:-))

Noted, but my router doesn't know that one.

In that case, it means running "something" in a computer in the LAN. How
does "something" notice that the outside address has changed?

I know that the IP can be found, but tracking the instant that it
changes is not that trivial unless there is an active connection.

I can only imagine periodically testing the IP, and communicating the
change when found.

>> Using the configuration on the router would save me from setting up
>> some daemon in Linux. Should be easier, right? If not, I'm of course
>> open to other possibilities.
>
> It depends on how configurable your router is - if you can add your own
> update string etc, running it on the router is fine.

As far as I know, no, it is not. The config is:

DDNS provider   : DynDns.org

Hostname        [    ]
Interface       6/ppp0.1

DynDNS Settings
Username        [    ]
Password        [    ]

.-.-

DDNS provider   : TZO

Hostname        [    ]
Interface       6/ppp0.1

TZO Settings
Email          [    ]
Key            [    ]

.-.-

DDNS provider  : No-IP

Hostname        [    ]
Interface       6/ppp0.1

No-IP DDNS Settings
Username        [    ]
Password        [    ]

                (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

Re: Dynamic DNS service [OT]

On 2016-12-02 08:04, John Andersen wrote:
> On December 1, 2016 6:24:23 PM PST, "Carlos E. R." <> wrote:

> DynDns.org
> TZO
> No-IP

> I've used funds for over 15 years. A paying customer for the last 9.

But "funds" is not in my router list. It is only those three above.

> I've also used no-ip.  Fun has gotten to be big business, and is not really focused on the free offerings any more, but I think they still do, I believe.

The wikipedia says they do.

On 2016-12-02 09:11, Thomas Wagner wrote:

> Hi
> On 2016-12-02 03:24, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> DynDns.org
>> TZO
>> No-IP
>>
>> Do you have comments on any of those?
> IMHO they are not free. Either you have to login every couple of weeks
> or pay.
login? Manually? :-(

> I use the alternative firmware dd-wrt on all my routers (mostly cheak
> TP-Link hardware) which support the free dyndns provider afraid.org.

Well, flashing that router is totally out of the question, it
invalidates ISP support. It has to do my ISP fibre TV, too, and this is
undocumented.

On 2016-12-02 09:26, Per Jessen wrote:
> Carlos E. R. wrote:

> <shameless plug>
> I can recommend http://www.dns24.ch
> </shameless plug>
>
>> Using the configuration on the router would save me from setting up
>> some daemon in Linux. Should be easier, right? If not, I'm of course
>> open to other possibilities.
>
> It depends on how configurable your router is - if you can add your own
> update string etc, running it on the router is fine.  Otherwise it's a
> simple cronjob on a linux box.
My router is not configurable, but hardcoded. I am reading now
dns24-dynamic-dns-howto.pdf, and they don't provide a script. A cronjob
that runs every five minutes querying the "update" link directly would
not be appropriate. It really has to test first for IP changes.

Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2016-12-02 09:26, Per Jessen wrote:
>> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>

>> <shameless plug>
>> I can recommend http://www.dns24.ch
>> </shameless plug>
>>
>>> Using the configuration on the router would save me from setting up
>>> some daemon in Linux. Should be easier, right? If not, I'm of course
>>> open to other possibilities.
>>
>> It depends on how configurable your router is - if you can add your
>> own
>> update string etc, running it on the router is fine.  Otherwise it's
>> a simple cronjob on a linux box.
>
> My router is not configurable, but hardcoded. I am reading now
> dns24-dynamic-dns-howto.pdf, and they don't provide a script. A
> cronjob that runs every five minutes querying the "update" link
> directly would not be appropriate. It really has to test first for IP
> changes.

It doesn't matter, as long as the webserver can handle the load. (which
it can).

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (2.5°C)

Re: Dynamic DNS service [OT]

Per Jessen
Carlos E. R. wrote:

>> <shameless plug>
>> I can recommend http://www.dns24.ch
>> </shameless plug>
>
> :-))
>
> Noted, but my router doesn't know that one.
>
> In that case, it means running "something" in a computer in the LAN.
> How does "something" notice that the outside address has changed?
>
> I know that the IP can be found, but tracking the instant that it
> changes is not that trivial unless there is an active connection.

That's true, but most likely you don't need that sort of minimal
latency.  If you do, get a fixed IP :-)

> I can only imagine periodically testing the IP, and communicating the
> change when found.

Well, it's really a bit of a waste - imagine this scheme:

every 5 minutes:

query dns24.ch to get your external IP.
if it has changed, run an update on dns24.ch.

compared to:

every 5 minutes:

send update to dns24.ch.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (2.6°C)

Re: Dynamic DNS service [OT]

Thomas Wagner
On 2016-12-02 11:29, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2016-12-02 09:11, Thomas Wagner wrote:
>> Hi
>> On 2016-12-02 03:24, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> DynDns.org
>>> TZO
>>> No-IP
>>>
>>> Do you have comments on any of those?
>> IMHO they are not free. Either you have to login every couple of weeks
>> or pay.
>
> login? Manually? :-(
Yep, login on their homepage an hit a certain button there. At least for
the free version of no-ip. Years ago I had the free version von dyndns
with the same required procedure.
Scripting a login should be possible but once they change something
you'll have to update the scripts.

> Well, flashing that router is totally out of the question,
Ok, then I would go with a script on some raspberry (or a homeserver if
available) that checks for an IP change periodically. Then your are also
independent of a dynamic DNS provider.

best regards

Thomas

Re: Dynamic DNS service [OT]

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2016-12-02 12:20, Thomas Wagner wrote:

> On 2016-12-02 11:29, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> On 2016-12-02 09:11, Thomas Wagner wrote:
>>> Hi

>>> IMHO they are not free. Either you have to login every couple of weeks
>>> or pay.
>>
>> login? Manually? :-(
> Yep, login on their homepage an hit a certain button there. At least for
> the free version of no-ip. Years ago I had the free version von dyndns
> with the same required procedure.
> Scripting a login should be possible but once they change something
> you'll have to update the scripts.
Oh. Well, for a test it will be doable.

>> Well, flashing that router is totally out of the question,
> Ok, then I would go with a script on some raspberry (or a homeserver if
> available) that checks for an IP change periodically. Then your are also
> independent of a dynamic DNS provider.

Maybe next time :-)

On a different router I had I could track IP changes from the router log
that was sent to a local machine. But the current one doesn't talk enough.

                (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

Re: Dynamic DNS service [OT]

Yamaban
On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 12:20, Thomas Wagner wrote:

> On 2016-12-02 11:29, Carlos E. R. wrote:

>> >  IMHO they are not free. Either you have to login every couple of weeks
>> >  or pay.
>>
>>  login? Manually? :-(
> Yep, login on their homepage an hit a certain button there. At least for the
> free version of no-ip. Years ago I had the free version von dyndns with the
> same required procedure.
> Scripting a login should be possible but once they change something you'll
> have to update the scripts.
>>
>>  Well, flashing that router is totally out of the question,
> Ok, then I would go with a script on some raspberry (or a homeserver if
> available) that checks for an IP change periodically. Then your are also
> independent of a dynamic DNS provider.

Hmmm, many router have a "home-page" that you can see without even
logging in on the router, e.g. on my router, a "easyBox 802", page is
http://easy.box/ or via "gateway"-ip

If you look at that page, many routers provide the outside IP on it.
use wget/curl/(other tool) to get that page, extract that outside-IP
compare to a locally stored value, if changed, store new value and
run ddns-update script. run that test every minute via local cron.
That way only the updates leave your private network.

Does that make more sense to you?

  - Yamaban.

Re: Dynamic DNS service [OT]

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2016-12-02 12:33, Yamaban wrote:

> Hmmm, many router have a "home-page" that you can see without even
> logging in on the router, e.g. on my router, a "easyBox 802", page is
> http://easy.box/ or via "gateway"-ip

Not mine, I think. You mean an info page of the router without login. Not that I know, no.

> If you look at that page, many routers provide the outside IP on it.
> use wget/curl/(other tool) to get that page, extract that outside-IP
> compare to a locally stored value, if changed, store new value and
> run ddns-update script. run that test every minute via local cron.
> That way only the updates leave your private network.
>
> Does that make more sense to you?

It does, yes. But no such luck.

This is the script I use to find the external IP:

Isengard:~ # cat /usr/local/bin/FindAndLogMyExternalIp
#!/bin/bash

LOGGER=/usr/bin/logger
FACILIDAD=user.notice

for((i=0;i<3;i++))
    do
        set `wget --timeout=15  -qO - checkip.dyndns.org | cut -d":" -f2 | cut -d"<" -f1 | cut -d" " -f2`
        if test -n "$*" ; then
            $LOGGER -t Sistema -p $FACILIDAD "Logging the current external IP=" $*
            HORA=`date  --rfc-3339=ns`
            echo "$HORA  $*"
            break
        else
            HORA=`date  --rfc-3339=ns`
       echo "$HORA  IP not found ($i/3)"
            $LOGGER -t Sistema -p $FACILIDAD "Could not find current external IP; trying again ($i)."
       /bin/sleep 5
        fi
    done
Isengard:~ #

And some times it fails.

Yamaban wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 12:20, Thomas Wagner wrote:

>>>  login? Manually? :-(
>> Yep, login on their homepage an hit a certain button there. At least
>> for the free version of no-ip. Years ago I had the free version von
>> dyndns with the same required procedure.
>> Scripting a login should be possible but once they change something
>> you'll have to update the scripts.
>>>
>>>  Well, flashing that router is totally out of the question,
>> Ok, then I would go with a script on some raspberry (or a homeserver
>> if available) that checks for an IP change periodically. Then your
>> are also independent of a dynamic DNS provider.
>
> Hmmm, many router have a "home-page" that you can see without even
> logging in on the router, e.g. on my router, a "easyBox 802", page is
> http://easy.box/ or via "gateway"-ip
>
> If you look at that page, many routers provide the outside IP on it.
> use wget/curl/(other tool) to get that page, extract that outside-IP
> compare to a locally stored value, if changed, store new value and
> run ddns-update script. run that test every minute via local cron.
> That way only the updates leave your private network.

Yep, that's a clever way of doing it.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (3.4°C)
http://www.hostsuisse.com/ - dedicated server rental in Switzerland.

Re: Dynamic DNS service [OT]

Per Jessen
Carlos E. R. wrote:

> This is the script I use to find the external IP:
>

> Isengard:~ # cat /usr/local/bin/FindAndLogMyExternalIp
> #!/bin/bash
>
> LOGGER=/usr/bin/logger
> FACILIDAD=user.notice
>

> for((i=0;i<3;i++))
>     do
> set `wget --timeout=15  -qO - checkip.dyndns.org | cut -d":" -f2 | cut

Used like that, I first got an http503, then

--2016-12-02 13:53:00--  http://-/
Resolving - (-)... failed: Name or service not known.
wget: unable to resolve host address ‘-’

then four attempts to get the address from dyndns.

http://checkip.dns24.ch/ does the same, but it's not used very much.
Yamaban's suggestion is pretty neat, if your router had such a home
page.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (3.4°C)

On 2016-12-02 13:49, Per Jessen wrote:
> Yamaban wrote:

>> If you look at that page, many routers provide the outside IP on it.
>> use wget/curl/(other tool) to get that page, extract that outside-IP
>> compare to a locally stored value, if changed, store new value and
>> run ddns-update script. run that test every minute via local cron.
>> That way only the updates leave your private network.
>
> Yep, that's a clever way of doing it.

Now that I remember. There was a router I could access by ssh, and ask
it the IP. I wrote a script doing that query, using, what was it, chat?

I tried now and certainly, my router responds on telnet and I could
login. No, it does not support ssh!

But it is a piece of shit. I issued "dumpsysinfo" and it responded with
several pages, some like XML! It dumps so much that it fill the terminal
buffer completely.

The "statistics" dumps output similar to "ifconfig" in Linux, and a
paragraph is the ppp0.1 interface including the external IP. Not trivial
to parse.

Interestingly, it does include an IPv6 address! /64

"wan show" also displays the IPv4 external address on "ppp0.1", plus two
other interfaces eth0.2 and eth0.3 with 10.... addresses. Doesn't show
any IPv4 addresses.

I think I may script it again. But maybe not soon enough.

                (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)