During a MR (maint req) can I split a package in 2?

During a MR (maint req) can I split a package in 2?

gregfreemyer
I maintain yara.  It's had a bunch of CVE's in the last little while.

Upstream has made patches, but they don't apply to the older version
in Leap 42.2.

The best option is a version upgrade in my opinion.

The only trouble is upstream has split out python-yara as its own
project since 42.2 was released.

I'd like to do a MR to update yara and also create a new package python-yara.

Thanks
Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by