Drop of the V8 package

Raymond Wooninck-2
Dear Factory group,

I would like to propose to drop the V8 Javascript package from Factory.
  As far as I know there is no other package using V8 standalone.
Chromium and NodeJS are both utilizing the in-source V8 package and has
no dependencies on this.

Please let me know if there is any objection against this or that you
know of a package that is utilizing the standalone V8 package.

Regards

Raymond

Chromium/V8 maintainer

Re: Drop of the V8 package

Jan Engelhardt-4
On Sunday 2014-09-07 15:28, Raymond Wooninck wrote:

> I would like to propose to drop the V8 Javascript package from Factory.  As far
> as I know there is no other package using V8 standalone. Chromium and NodeJS
> are both utilizing the in-source V8 package and has no dependencies on this.

Would it be possible to make those two use the external V8?
(Following "No Bundled Libraries/Programs" 'guidelin'e)

Re: Drop of the V8 package

Yamaban
On Sun, 7 Sep 2014 15:40, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@...> wrote:

> On Sunday 2014-09-07 15:28, Raymond Wooninck wrote:
>
>> I would like to propose to drop the V8 Javascript package from Factory.  As far
>> as I know there is no other package using V8 standalone. Chromium and NodeJS
>> are both utilizing the in-source V8 package and has no dependencies on this.
>
> Would it be possible to make those two use the external V8?
> (Following "No Bundled Libraries/Programs" 'guideline')

Sadly the "working" versions of the in-source V8 differ.

You would have to bundle NodeJS and Chromium and V8 builds to successful
enable a working external V8, with no guaranty of fully functional NodeJS.

In view of the Chromium update cycle, and view of NodeJS in server usage,
this is NOT a good way to make friends with the NodeJS users.

This is why I support Raymonds proposal to drop standalone V8.

  - Yamaban.

Re: Drop of the V8 package

Raymond Wooninck-2
On Sunday 07 September 2014 15:53, Yamaban wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Sep 2014 15:40, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@...> wrote:
>
>> On Sunday 2014-09-07 15:28, Raymond Wooninck wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to propose to drop the V8 Javascript package from
>>> Factory.  As far
>>> as I know there is no other package using V8 standalone. Chromium and
>>> NodeJS
>>> are both utilizing the in-source V8 package and has no dependencies
>>> on this.
>>
>> Would it be possible to make those two use the external V8?
>> (Following "No Bundled Libraries/Programs" 'guideline')
>
> Sadly the "working" versions of the in-source V8 differ.
>
> You would have to bundle NodeJS and Chromium and V8 builds to successful
> enable a working external V8, with no guaranty of fully functional NodeJS.
>
> In view of the Chromium update cycle, and view of NodeJS in server usage,
> this is NOT a good way to make friends with the NodeJS users.

In the past we had this situation and I had to do a lot of tricks in
order to get a working situation with Chromium and V8 as separate
packages. I know that the guidelines are not to use the bundled
libraries, but if I would follow that guideline to the letter than there
wouldn't be any Chromium package. I believe the current situation is
that half of the required libraries are in-source and the rest is taken
from the system. Trying to utilize all libraries from system delivers
build errors or worse a non working binary.

Regards

Raymond

Re: Drop of the V8 package

Marcus Meissner
On Sun, Sep 07, 2014 at 05:28:13PM +0200, Raymond Wooninck wrote:

> On Sunday 07 September 2014 15:53, Yamaban wrote:

> >>Would it be possible to make those two use the external V8?
> >>(Following "No Bundled Libraries/Programs" 'guideline')
> >
> >Sadly the "working" versions of the in-source V8 differ.
> >
> >You would have to bundle NodeJS and Chromium and V8 builds to successful
> >enable a working external V8, with no guaranty of fully functional NodeJS.
> >
> >In view of the Chromium update cycle, and view of NodeJS in server usage,
> >this is NOT a good way to make friends with the NodeJS users.
>
> In the past we had this situation and I had to do a lot of tricks in
> order to get a working situation with Chromium and V8 as separate
> packages. I know that the guidelines are not to use the bundled
> libraries, but if I would follow that guideline to the letter than
> there wouldn't be any Chromium package. I believe the current
> situation is that half of the required libraries are in-source and
> the rest is taken from the system. Trying to utilize all libraries
> from system delivers build errors or worse a non working binary.

In the v8 case I think its best to let nodejs and chromium have their own.

And so I am for dropping the v8 package itself.

Ciao, Marcus

Re: Drop of the V8 package

Jan Engelhardt-4
On Sunday 2014-09-07 17:28, Raymond Wooninck wrote:

>>> Would it be possible to make those two use the external V8?
>>> (Following "No Bundled Libraries/Programs" 'guideline')
>>
>> Sadly the "working" versions of the in-source V8 differ.
>
>[...] I know that the guidelines are not to use the bundled libraries,
>but if I would follow that guideline to the letter than there wouldn't
>be any Chromium package.

It's a guideline for us, not a policy ;)

Re: Drop of the V8 package

Cristian Rodríguez-2
El 07/09/14 a las #4, Raymond Wooninck escribió:

> Dear Factory group,
>
> I would like to propose to drop the V8 Javascript package from Factory.
>  As far as I know there is no other package using V8 standalone.
> Chromium and NodeJS are both utilizing the in-source V8 package and has
> no dependencies on this.
>
> Please let me know if there is any objection against this or that you
> know of a package that is utilizing the standalone V8 package.
>
> Regards
>
> Raymond
>
> Chromium/V8 maintainer

IN this particular case is better to go without the V8 package.. +1

--
Cristian
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to

Re: Drop of the V8 package

Andreas Färber
Am 07.09.2014 um 17:49 schrieb Marcus Meissner:

> On Sun, Sep 07, 2014 at 05:28:13PM +0200, Raymond Wooninck wrote:

>>> Sadly the "working" versions of the in-source V8 differ.
>>>
>>> You would have to bundle NodeJS and Chromium and V8 builds to successful
>>> enable a working external V8, with no guaranty of fully functional NodeJS.
>>>
>>> In view of the Chromium update cycle, and view of NodeJS in server usage,
>>> this is NOT a good way to make friends with the NodeJS users.
>>
>> In the past we had this situation and I had to do a lot of tricks in
>> order to get a working situation with Chromium and V8 as separate
>> packages. I know that the guidelines are not to use the bundled
>> libraries, but if I would follow that guideline to the letter than
>> there wouldn't be any Chromium package. I believe the current
>> situation is that half of the required libraries are in-source and
>> the rest is taken from the system. Trying to utilize all libraries
>> from system delivers build errors or worse a non working binary.
>
> In the v8 case I think its best to let nodejs and chromium have their own.
>
> And so I am for dropping the v8 package itself.

Unfortunately iirc the v8 package was updated to support aarch64,
whereas the version in nodejs does not yet. When Dirk tried updating
nodejs to an unstable version that includes a suitable v8, obs-server no
longer built. So if you guys want to use weird included versions, please
update them so that things actually build beyond x86.

Thanks,
Andreas

Re: Drop of the V8 package

Dirk Müller

Am 16.09.2014 um 16:07 schrieb Andreas Färber <[hidden email]>:

> Unfortunately iirc the v8 package was updated to support aarch64,
> whereas the version in nodejs does not yet. When Dirk tried updating
> nodejs to an unstable version that includes a suitable v8, obs-server no
> longer built. So if you guys want to use weird included versions, please
> update them so that things actually build beyond x86.

Thats an unrelated problem. we should remove the v8 package and use the in tree copy in chromium and nodejs.

Greetings,
Dirk