Dockerize the Development Environment

Henne Vogelsang-2
Hey,

there is a pull-request[1] that will change the way we set up our
development environment, away from virtualization (with vagrant &
virtualbox) to containers (docker & docker-compose). It's quite an
intrusive change that requires you OBS developers to learn quite some
new things.

If we merge this now, your next rebase/pull/reset will drop vagrant and
you have to learn docker. Is that okay with you or shall we prolong this
to some later point?

Henne

[1] https://github.com/openSUSE/open-build-service/pull/3747

--
Henne Vogelsang
http://www.opensuse.org

Re: Dockerize the Development Environment

mdeniz
Fine by me, DOCKERIZE IT! and then go to the party :D :D

El vie, 15-09-2017 a las 11:57 +0200, Henne Vogelsang escribió:

> Hey,
>
> there is a pull-request[1] that will change the way we set up our
> development environment, away from virtualization (with vagrant &
> virtualbox) to containers (docker & docker-compose). It's quite an
> intrusive change that requires you OBS developers to learn quite some
> new things.
>
> If we merge this now, your next rebase/pull/reset will drop vagrant
> and
> you have to learn docker. Is that okay with you or shall we prolong
> this
> to some later point?
>
> Henne
>
> [1] https://github.com/openSUSE/open-build-service/pull/3747
>
> --
> Henne Vogelsang
> http://www.opensuse.org
> Everybody has a plan, until they get hit.
> - Mike Tyson

Re: Dockerize the Development Environment

Christian Bruckmayer-2
Hi,

On 09/15/2017 12:02 PM, mdeniz wrote:

> Fine by me, DOCKERIZE IT! and then go to the party :D :D
>
> El vie, 15-09-2017 a las 11:57 +0200, Henne Vogelsang escribió:
>> Hey,
>>
>> there is a pull-request[1] that will change the way we set up our
>> development environment, away from virtualization (with vagrant &
>> virtualbox) to containers (docker & docker-compose). It's quite an
>> intrusive change that requires you OBS developers to learn quite some
>> new things.
>>
>> If we merge this now, your next rebase/pull/reset will drop vagrant
>> and
>> you have to learn docker. Is that okay with you or shall we prolong
>> this
>> to some later point?
Is it now already possible to run single test (files)?
Building packages is now also possible?

On 09/15/2017 01:07 PM, Christian Bruckmayer wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On 09/15/2017 12:02 PM, mdeniz wrote:
>> Fine by me, DOCKERIZE IT! and then go to the party :D :D
>>
>> El vie, 15-09-2017 a las 11:57 +0200, Henne Vogelsang escribió:
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> there is a pull-request[1] that will change the way we set up our
>>> development environment, away from virtualization (with vagrant &
>>> virtualbox) to containers (docker & docker-compose). It's quite an
>>> intrusive change that requires you OBS developers to learn quite some
>>> new things.
>>>
>>> If we merge this now, your next rebase/pull/reset will drop vagrant
>>> and
>>> you have to learn docker. Is that okay with you or shall we prolong
>>> this
>>> to some later point?

One point which speaks against having two setups: You constantly need to
change you options.yml file if you switch between the two setups (the
docker setup will overwrite e.g. you db host in the options.yml) which
is a little bit annoying so I'm in favor to just drop vagrant right away.

On 15.09.2017 13:07, Christian Bruckmayer wrote:

> Is it now already possible to run single test (files)?

Yes see
https://github.com/openSUSE/open-build-service/wiki/Development-Environment

> Building packages is now also possible?

Yes a worker with 2 instances is running.

Henne

--
Henne Vogelsang
http://www.opensuse.org