DVD disk image

Mike McMullin

  I'm trying to copy a data DVD (Debian Sarge actually)using the
command:
dd if=/dev/hdb of=debiansarge.iso

 and it is failing with the following error:
File size limit exceeded

  df gives this info for the partition usage:
/dev/hda2             19533504   4194320  15339184
22% /mnt/unknownLinux
it's a fat32 partition, unused except for my trying to create this file.

Re: DVD disk image

Andreas Jaeger
Mike McMullin <[hidden email]> writes:

>   I'm trying to copy a data DVD (Debian Sarge actually)using the
> command:
> dd if=/dev/hdb of=debiansarge.iso
>
>  and it is failing with the following error:
> File size limit exceeded
>
>   df gives this info for the partition usage:
> /dev/hda2             19533504   4194320  15339184
> 22% /mnt/unknownLinux
> it's a fat32 partition, unused except for my trying to create this file.
And fat32 cannot copy with files > 2 GB,

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, [hidden email], http://www.suse.de/~aj/

Re: DVD disk image

Scott Jones-6
On Thursday 30 November 2006 01:11, Mike McMullin wrote:

>   I'm trying to copy a data DVD (Debian Sarge actually)using the
> command:
> dd if=/dev/hdb of=debiansarge.iso
>
>  and it is failing with the following error:
> File size limit exceeded
>
>   df gives this info for the partition usage:
> /dev/hda2             19533504   4194320  15339184
> 22% /mnt/unknownLinux
> it's a fat32 partition, unused except for my trying to create this file.

FAT32 has a max filesize of 2GB.

Re: DVD disk image

Darryl Gregorash
On 2006-11-30 01:27, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> And fat32 cannot copy with files > 2 GB,

Some day, I would dearly love if someone could explain to my why anyone
would write any software that uses a signed integer for something that
can never be negative -- any takers? :-)

Re: DVD disk image

jdd@dodin.org
Darryl Gregorash a écrit :
> On 2006-11-30 01:27, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
>> And fat32 cannot copy with files > 2 GB,
>>

> Some day, I would dearly love if someone could explain to my why anyone
> would write any software that uses a signed integer for something that
> can never be negative -- any takers? :-)

simple: make the upgrade mandatory... and make money with it...

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://dodin.org/mediawiki/index.php/GPS_Lowrance_GO

Re: DVD disk image

Michael Riess-2
Scott Jones schrieb:

> On Thursday 30 November 2006 01:11, Mike McMullin wrote:
>
>>   I'm trying to copy a data DVD (Debian Sarge actually)using the
>> command:
>> dd if=/dev/hdb of=debiansarge.iso
>>
>>  and it is failing with the following error:
>> File size limit exceeded
>>
>>   df gives this info for the partition usage:
>> /dev/hda2             19533504   4194320  15339184
>> 22% /mnt/unknownLinux
>> it's a fat32 partition, unused except for my trying to create this file.
>
> FAT32 has a max filesize of 2GB.

FAT16 has a max filesize of < 2GB.
FAT32 has a max filesize of < 4GB

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

Re: DVD disk image

Darryl Gregorash
On 2006-11-30 01:45, jdd wrote:

> Darryl Gregorash a écrit :
>> On 2006-11-30 01:27, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
>>> And fat32 cannot copy with files > 2 GB,
>>>

>> Some day, I would dearly love if someone could explain to my why anyone
>> would write any software that uses a signed integer for something that
>> can never be negative -- any takers? :-)
>>
> simple: make the upgrade mandatory... and make money with it...
>
> jdd

I just knew that it had to be a very practical reason :-)

Re: DVD disk image

Re: DVD disk image

Scott Jones-6
On Thursday 30 November 2006 02:02, Michael Riess wrote:

> Scott Jones schrieb:
> > On Thursday 30 November 2006 01:11, Mike McMullin wrote:
> >> it's a fat32 partition, unused except for my trying to create this file.
> >
> > FAT32 has a max filesize of 2GB.
>
> FAT16 has a max filesize of < 2GB.
> FAT32 has a max filesize of < 4GB
>
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

Oops, you're correct.  He's still going to run into a size problem, though, as
the sarge DVD iso is 4.4GB.

Re: DVD disk image

M Harris-2
On Thursday 30 November 2006 05:28, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> In dos, negative numbers were used sometimes as the resturn code of
> functions (instead of the expected size) to indicate the error code.
        yup

        ... and which negative number depended upon which error...  typically a
non-zero return code is a failure... and the positive ints would be the
size... so the negatives would be the rc values.

        I agree though with a previous post that it has to be something other than
the int...  like ok, why in the world would anyone want to use something
other than an unsigned long...

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><

Re: DVD disk image

Mike McMullin
On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 08:27 +0100, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> Mike McMullin <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> >   I'm trying to copy a data DVD (Debian Sarge actually)using the
> > command:
> > dd if=/dev/hdb of=debiansarge.iso
> >
> >  and it is failing with the following error:
> > File size limit exceeded
> >
> >   df gives this info for the partition usage:
> > /dev/hda2             19533504   4194320  15339184
> > 22% /mnt/unknownLinux
> > it's a fat32 partition, unused except for my trying to create this file.
>
> And fat32 cannot copy with files > 2 GB,

  Thanks Andreas.  I had thougth it might be something wrong with the
command itself.

Re: DVD disk image

Mike McMullin
On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 09:04 -0600, Scott Jones wrote:

> On Thursday 30 November 2006 02:02, Michael Riess wrote:
>
> > Scott Jones schrieb:
> > >
> > > FAT32 has a max filesize of 2GB.
> >
> > FAT16 has a max filesize of < 2GB.
> > FAT32 has a max filesize of < 4GB
> >
> > http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table
>
> Oops, you're correct.  He's still going to run into a size problem, though, as
> the sarge DVD iso is 4.4GB.

  He's beginning to wish he'd never set that partition up as an exchange
media between XP and Linux.

Re: DVD disk image

jdd@dodin.org
Mike McMullin a écrit :

>   He's beginning to wish he'd never set that partition up as an exchange
> media between XP and Linux.

there is a very good ext2/3 native driver for XP, and it's
OSS, better use this

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://dodin.org/mediawiki/index.php/GPS_Lowrance_GO

Re: DVD disk image

kj-12
On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 19:44 +0100, jdd wrote:
> there is a very good ext2/3 native driver for XP, and it's
> OSS, better use this

Which one, do you have a link?

Thanks
Hans

Re: DVD disk image

jdd@dodin.org
Hans du Plooy a écrit :
> On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 19:44 +0100, jdd wrote:
>> there is a very good ext2/3 native driver for XP, and it's
>> OSS, better use this
>
> Which one, do you have a link?
>
> Thanks
> Hans

ext2ifs

jdd

On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 23:07 +0100, jdd wrote:
> ext2ifs

Fantastic!

Thanks
Hans

Re: DVD disk image

jdd@dodin.org
Hans du Plooy a écrit :
> On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 23:07 +0100, jdd wrote:
>> ext2ifs
>
> Fantastic!

:-)

as a side note, this afternoon I had to pull out the usb
drive from my linux box and did this on the fast way (no
sync stop before)

I couldn't open the ext3 partition with XP.

I connected the disk to the linux, unconnected cleanly and
XP did open the volume.

so linux is still better
the ext2ifs driver is very good

jdd
--
http://www.dodin.net
http://dodin.org/mediawiki/index.php/GPS_Lowrance_GO

Re: DVD disk image

gregfreemyer
On 11/30/06, jdd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hans du Plooy a écrit :
> > On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 23:07 +0100, jdd wrote:
> >> ext2ifs
> >
> > Fantastic!
>
> :-)
>
> as a side note, this afternoon I had to pull out the usb
> drive from my linux box and did this on the fast way (no
> sync stop before)
>
> I couldn't open the ext3 partition with XP.
>
> I connected the disk to the linux, unconnected cleanly and
> XP did open the volume.
>
> so linux is still better
> the ext2ifs driver is very good
>
> jdd

I'm curious if Captain Nemo would have seen it.  The demo is free.

http://www.runtime.org/captain.htm

I guess it is too late to find out.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group

Re: DVD disk image

Mike McMullin
On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 19:44 +0100, jdd wrote:
> Mike McMullin a écrit :
>
> >   He's beginning to wish he'd never set that partition up as an exchange
> > media between XP and Linux.
> >
> there is a very good ext2/3 native driver for XP, and it's
> OSS, better use this
 Sorry but there's no way in Puce that I'm letting windows have access
to any of my linux partitions.  I do appreciate the suggestion though, I
thought about it and decided that I could not trust Windows with
sensitive info.

Re: DVD disk image

jdd@dodin.org
Mike McMullin a écrit :

> On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 19:44 +0100, jdd wrote:
>> Mike McMullin a écrit :
>>
>>>   He's beginning to wish he'd never set that partition up as an exchange
>>> media between XP and Linux.
>>>
>> there is a very good ext2/3 native driver for XP, and it's
>> OSS, better use this
>  Sorry but there's no way in Puce that I'm letting windows have access
> to any of my linux partitions.  I do appreciate the suggestion though, I
> thought about it and decided that I could not trust Windows with
> sensitive info.

I have no double boot machine, the ext3 partition is on a
"shuttle" usb drive, never any sensitive data on it...

but, for example, I use dvgrab to dl the video from my
camcorder but I have no video editing program working on my
linux computers and do the editing on win (not glad of this :-).

the data being 12Gb for an hour, the usb drive is far the
best system to go from a system to the other

jdd