DOT gconf & gconfd

Carl Spitzer-4
I am trying to restore the ability to bring up the browser of my choice
when clicking a link in Evolution mail.

I backed up all the directories I thought could matter:
.gconf
.gconfd
.gnome
.gnome2
.gnome2_private

then removed them logged out and back in.
Evolution could not find the existing DOT evolution directory and my
mail.

I tried to restore .gconf/apps/evolution  but that was not enough.
as evolution still could not find the mail.
so I restored all of that and logged out and back in.
Now it works but the clicking of links goes no where.

which file do I hack to make it work.