Cups broadcast

Koenraad Lelong
Hi,

I'm installing Leap 42.2 (laptop ran OS 13.2). All went smoothly.
The only thing I can't get running is the printers.
I have a server where my printers are defined (cups 1.7) and this
broadcasts via mdns.
Unfortunately, I'm unable to get the printer automagically configured on
the new installation.
Any reference documentation for cups ?

TIA,

Koenraad.

Re: Cups broadcast

Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink
Op maandag 19 juni 2017 18:57:56 CEST schreef Koenraad Lelong:

> Hi,
>
> I'm installing Leap 42.2 (laptop ran OS 13.2). All went smoothly.
> The only thing I can't get running is the printers.
> I have a server where my printers are defined (cups 1.7) and this
> broadcasts via mdns.
> Unfortunately, I'm unable to get the printer automagically configured on
> the new installation.
> Any reference documentation for cups ?
>
> TIA,
>
> Koenraad.

Just asking: firewall on / off one both?

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Forums Team

Re: Cups broadcast

Per Jessen
Koenraad Lelong wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm installing Leap 42.2 (laptop ran OS 13.2). All went smoothly.
> The only thing I can't get running is the printers.
> I have a server where my printers are defined (cups 1.7) and this
> broadcasts via mdns.
> Unfortunately, I'm unable to get the printer automagically configured
> on the new installation.

Did you enable network printers with YaST?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (30.8°C)
http://www.dns24.ch/ - your free DNS host, made in Switzerland.

Re: Cups broadcast

On 2017-06-19 18:57, Koenraad Lelong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm installing Leap 42.2 (laptop ran OS 13.2). All went smoothly.
> The only thing I can't get running is the printers.
> I have a server where my printers are defined (cups 1.7) and this
> broadcasts via mdns.
> Unfortunately, I'm unable to get the printer automagically configured on
> the new installation.
> Any reference documentation for cups ?

https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Printing

Broadcast has never worked reliably for me. I always enter the IP.

Re: Cups broadcast

Per Jessen
Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2017-06-19 18:57, Koenraad Lelong wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm installing Leap 42.2 (laptop ran OS 13.2). All went smoothly.
>> The only thing I can't get running is the printers.
>> I have a server where my printers are defined (cups 1.7) and this
>> broadcasts via mdns.
>> Unfortunately, I'm unable to get the printer automagically configured
>> on the new installation.
>> Any reference documentation for cups ?
>
> https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Printing
>
> Broadcast has never worked reliably for me. I always enter the IP.

Broadcast has always worked reliably for me. I never enter the IP.

I couldn't resist :-)

(honestly, it works very well).

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (30.8°C)
http://www.cloudsuisse.com/ - your owncloud, hosted in Switzerland.

Re: Cups broadcast

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2017-06-19 19:53, Per Jessen wrote:

> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
>> On 2017-06-19 18:57, Koenraad Lelong wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm installing Leap 42.2 (laptop ran OS 13.2). All went smoothly.
>>> The only thing I can't get running is the printers.
>>> I have a server where my printers are defined (cups 1.7) and this
>>> broadcasts via mdns.
>>> Unfortunately, I'm unable to get the printer automagically configured
>>> on the new installation.
>>> Any reference documentation for cups ?
>>
>> https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Printing
>>
>> Broadcast has never worked reliably for me. I always enter the IP.
>>

> Broadcast has always worked reliably for me. I never enter the IP.
>
> I couldn't resist :-)
:-)

Re: Cups broadcast

Koenraad Lelong
Op 19-06-17 om 19:02 schreef Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink:
>> TIA,
>>
>> Koenraad.
>
> Just asking: firewall on / off one both?

Blush !
I'm using FWZSW and I was certain I configured my local network as
private. Well, I didn't. Now I did and I have my printer.

The only thing : I would like to restrict to the broadcasts coming from
the local network. When I configure that with YAST, I get a message :
Setting BrowseAllow '@LOCAL' in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf failed.
Writing this, I this usefull ?

Thanks.

Koenraad.