CryFS in Factory

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

CryFS in Factory

Klaas Freitag
Hi,

cryfs [1], a file encryption utility, made it to Factory. The new
plasma-vault can make use of it, maybe that package needs some adjustment.

regards,
Klaas

[1] https://www.cryfs.org
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CryFS in Factory

Luca Beltrame
In data lunedì 5 marzo 2018 08:18:47 CET, Klaas Freitag ha scritto:

> cryfs [1], a file encryption utility, made it to Factory. The new
> plasma-vault can make use of it, maybe that package needs some adjustment.

We're working on it.  See https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/583148.

--
Luca Beltrame - KDE Forums team
GPG key ID: A29D259B

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CryFS in Factory

Wolfgang Bauer
Am Dienstag, 6. März 2018, 07:17:13 schrieb Luca Beltrame:
> In data lunedì 5 marzo 2018 08:18:47 CET, Klaas Freitag ha scritto:
> > cryfs [1], a file encryption utility, made it to Factory. The new
> > plasma-vault can make use of it, maybe that package needs some adjustment.
>
> We're working on it.  See https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/583148.

Well, actually there's no *need* for any package adjustments really.
CryFS support is already built-in.

Just install cryfs and it should work with plasma-vault...

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CryFS in Factory

Klaas Freitag


On 06.03.2018 10:47, Wolfgang Bauer wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 6. März 2018, 07:17:13 schrieb Luca Beltrame:
>> In data lunedì 5 marzo 2018 08:18:47 CET, Klaas Freitag ha scritto:
>>> cryfs [1], a file encryption utility, made it to Factory. The new
>>> plasma-vault can make use of it, maybe that package needs some adjustment.
>>
>> We're working on it.  See https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/583148.
>
> Well, actually there's no *need* for any package adjustments really.
> CryFS support is already built-in.
>
> Just install cryfs and it should work with plasma-vault...

Yes, that is true.  But with the pr above you will get both backends
recommended I think.

The original package has a recommends on the encfs package while I
believe that upstream recommends cryfs to use, when I am reading [1]
correctly.

The pull request https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/583148 also
still prefers encfs.
>

Klaas

[1] https://cukic.co/2017/02/10/plasma-vault-is-evolving/
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CryFS in Factory

Wolfgang Bauer
Am Dienstag, 6. März 2018, 10:57:27 schrieb Klaas Freitag:
> Yes, that is true.  But with the pr above you will get both backends
> recommended I think.

No, only encfs is recommended.

That change will pull in cryfs if you uninstall (or lock) encfs though.

> The original package has a recommends on the encfs package

Actually the original package *required* encfs.

Now it requires one of the two backends, i.e. you don't need encfs if you
install cryfs.
It does recommend encfs only.

> while I
> believe that upstream recommends cryfs to use, when I am reading [1]
> correctly.

Well, to me this doesn't really sound like they explicitly recommend cryfs:

It is true that EncFS has known security issues thanks to the independent
security audit by Taylor Hornby, so you know that it is not safe in certain
use-cases.

But its huge advantage is that you know what its problems are. For the newer
systems like CryFS, there is no known independent security audits (if you find
one, please notify me).

This means that, at this point, the choice is between a known system with
known faults that you will most likely be safe with if you use it correctly,
and a new system that does not have those faults, but its faults are unknown.

> The pull request https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/583148 also
> still prefers encfs.

Yes, that's true.

And encfs is actually the default backend in Plasma 5.12, see:
https://cukic.co/2018/01/28/plasma-vaults-and-different-cryfs-versions/ 

But according to https://cukic.co/2018/02/02/plasma-vault-update-on-cryfs/,
cryfs apparently will become the default in Plasma 5.13.
I don't know whether the mentioned fixes are in cryfs 0.9.9 already though.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]