Could not find mime type

Jay Vollmer
Hi everybody.

I've got a fresh install of 10.1 on my thinkpad.
After making one adjustment to my KDE file associations, I started getting
the following error message every time I start any KDE application:

  Could not find mime type
  application/octet stream

Once I dismiss the error everything is fine - as far as I can tell, but this
is very annoying.

I imagine that something in my file association database is hosed, but I'm
not sure what that might be.  Can someone tell me what to do to reset the
database or otherwise correct this?

--
JAY VOLLMER        [hidden email]
TEXT REFS DOUBLEPLUSUNGOOD SELFTHINK

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Could not find mime type

Carl Hartung
On Saturday 12 August 2006 15:30, Jay C Vollmer wrote:
> I imagine that something in my file association database is hosed, but I'm
> not sure what that might be.  Can someone tell me what to do to reset the
> database or otherwise correct this?

Hi Jay,

Your file associations (mime-types) *are* damaged. Copy the contents of
~/.kde/share/mimelnk/application/ from an unbroken user's directory (create a
temporary, if needed) and be sure to set the correct ownership & permissions
afterwards.

hth & regards,

Carl

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]