Connecting to Linux from Windows

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
22 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Connecting to Linux from Windows

Thomas Miller
I want to be able to administer my server from Windows.  What program or
tools would you recommend?  Thanks!

--
Thomas Miller
Chrome Portal Project Manager
CPCUG Programmers SIG Chairperson (formally Delphi)
Delphi Client/Server Certified Developer
BSS Accounting & Distribution Software
BSS Enterprise Accounting FrameWork

http://www.bss-software.com
http://programmers.cpcug.org/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/chromeportal/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/uopl/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dbexpressplus

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Connecting to Linux from Windows

Druid-5
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

putty.exe: the one and only

its an ssh client, btw

On 11/26/06, Thomas Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I want to be able to administer my server from Windows.  What program or
> tools would you recommend?  Thanks!
>
> --
> Thomas Miller
> Chrome Portal Project Manager
> CPCUG Programmers SIG Chairperson (formally Delphi)
> Delphi Client/Server Certified Developer
> BSS Accounting & Distribution Software
> BSS Enterprise Accounting FrameWork
>
> http://www.bss-software.com
> http://programmers.cpcug.org/
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/chromeportal/
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/uopl/
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/dbexpressplus
>
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Connecting to Linux from Windows

Scott Leighton
In reply to this post by Thomas Miller
On Sunday 26 November 2006 4:46 pm, Thomas Miller wrote:
> I want to be able to administer my server from Windows.  What program or
> tools would you recommend?  Thanks!
>

  Webmin, or
  cygwin with X, or
  NX, or
  Putty (just ssh to the box)

   Scott

--
Vide ut supra
POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier http://popfile.sourceforge.net/
Linux 2.6.16.21-0.25-default x86_64
SUSE LINUX 10.1 (X86-64)
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Connecting to Linux from Windows

Pascal Bleser
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Scott Leighton wrote:
> On Sunday 26 November 2006 4:46 pm, Thomas Miller wrote:
>> I want to be able to administer my server from Windows.  What program or
>> tools would you recommend?  Thanks!
>
>   Webmin, or
>   cygwin with X, or
>   NX, or
>   Putty (just ssh to the box)

Definitely putty.

If you want an X server on windows, try Xming:
http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/

It's a windows port of Xorg (obviously, it's opensource and free).

Seen some coworkers use it, works great (I don't use windows myself).
Note that it requires putty.

cheers
- --
  -o) Pascal Bleser     http://linux01.gwdg.de/~pbleser/
  /\\ <[hidden email]>       <[hidden email]>
 _\_v The more things change, the more they stay insane.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFFajilr3NMWliFcXcRAvZdAJ4t93a/7vdseBpRTzR15J4N77j5AgCfYGSf
lNl7WPIbkE3Mpnk5JOSl0aw=
=7anQ
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Connecting to Linux from Windows

Art Fore
In reply to this post by Thomas Miller

 -------------- Original message ----------------------
From: Thomas Miller <[hidden email]>

> I want to be able to administer my server from Windows.  What program or
> tools would you recommend?  Thanks!
>
> --
> Thomas Miller
> Chrome Portal Project Manager
> CPCUG Programmers SIG Chairperson (formally Delphi)
> Delphi Client/Server Certified Developer
> BSS Accounting & Distribution Software
> BSS Enterprise Accounting FrameWork
>
> http://www.bss-software.com
> http://programmers.cpcug.org/
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/chromeportal/
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/uopl/
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/dbexpressplus
>
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
I use FreeNX. It uses the SSH, is very fast, is very secure, does not require X to be running on the remote machine, and works with Windows or Linux. It also does not require any X server on the Windows machine.

Art
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Connecting to Linux from Windows

pipiriz-2
In reply to this post by Druid-5
I use putty, this tool has support to ssh, tunneling and other stuff.

Only it requires a ssh daemon running on the server side.

The administration is from the shell command line.

PiPiRiZ

----- Original Message -----
From: "Druid" <[hidden email]>
To: <[hidden email]>
Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2006 6:48 PM
Subject: Re: [opensuse] Connecting to Linux from Windows


> www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html
>
> putty.exe: the one and only
>
> its an ssh client, btw
>
> On 11/26/06, Thomas Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I want to be able to administer my server from Windows.  What program or
>> tools would you recommend?  Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Thomas Miller
>> Chrome Portal Project Manager
>> CPCUG Programmers SIG Chairperson (formally Delphi)
>> Delphi Client/Server Certified Developer
>> BSS Accounting & Distribution Software
>> BSS Enterprise Accounting FrameWork
>>
>> http://www.bss-software.com
>> http://programmers.cpcug.org/
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/chromeportal/
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/uopl/
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/dbexpressplus
>>
>> --
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>
>>
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Connecting to Linux from Windows

Rajko M.
In reply to this post by Thomas Miller
On Sunday 26 November 2006 18:46, Thomas Miller wrote:
> I want to be able to administer my server from Windows.  What program or
> tools would you recommend?  Thanks!
>

Have you looked this article:
http://en.opensuse.org/SSH_Tunnels_from_Microsoft_Windows

--
Regards,
Rajko M.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Connecting to Linux from Windows

James Knott
In reply to this post by Thomas Miller
Thomas Miller wrote:
> I want to be able to administer my server from Windows.  What program
> or tools would you recommend?  Thanks!
>
For command line stuff, use Putty to access via SSH.

If you want a graphical tool, install Webmin on the Linux box, which can
then be accessed via any web browser.  You can also use Xming to run any
X app or utility.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Connecting to Linux from Windows

James Knott
In reply to this post by Scott Leighton
Scott Leighton wrote:

> On Sunday 26 November 2006 4:46 pm, Thomas Miller wrote:
>  
>> I want to be able to administer my server from Windows.  What program or
>> tools would you recommend?  Thanks!
>>
>>    
>
>   Webmin, or
>   cygwin with X, or
>   NX, or
>   Putty (just ssh to the box)
>
>    Scott
>
>  
I found Xming was easier to set up than Cygwin.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Connecting to Linux from Windows

Scott Leighton
On Sunday 26 November 2006 7:38 pm, James Knott wrote:

> Scott Leighton wrote:
> > On Sunday 26 November 2006 4:46 pm, Thomas Miller wrote:
> >> I want to be able to administer my server from Windows.  What program or
> >> tools would you recommend?  Thanks!
> >
> >   Webmin, or
> >   cygwin with X, or
> >   NX, or
> >   Putty (just ssh to the box)
> >
> >    Scott
>
> I found Xming was easier to set up than Cygwin.

   Yes, if you don't want/need the other *nix features of
Cygwin, then Xming is the way to go. Very simple.

  Scott

--
Ne cede malis
POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier http://popfile.sourceforge.net/
Linux 2.6.16.21-0.25-default x86_64
SUSE LINUX 10.1 (X86-64)
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Connecting to Linux from Windows

jdd@dodin.org
In reply to this post by Thomas Miller
Thomas Miller a écrit :
> I want to be able to administer my server from Windows.  What program or
> tools would you recommend?  Thanks!
>
I'm surprised to see that nobody quote VNC, that is AFAIK
the "official" distance admin for suse (see Yast)

it needs basically only a java capable browser
jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://dodin.org/mediawiki/index.php/GPS_Lowrance_GO
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Connecting to Linux from Windows

Kevin Donnelly
In reply to this post by Rajko M.
On Monday 27 November 2006 02:09, Rajko M wrote:
> Have you looked this article:
> http://en.opensuse.org/SSH_Tunnels_from_Microsoft_Windows

That's a terrific piece of work.  Congratulations to whoever wrote it.

--
Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly

www.kyfieithu.co.uk - KDE yn Gymraeg
www.eurfa.org.uk - Geiriadur rhydd i'r Gymraeg
www.rhedadur.org.uk - Rhedeg berfau Cymraeg
www.cymrux.org.uk - Linux Cymraeg ar un CD
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Connecting to Linux from Windows

jdd@dodin.org
Kevin Donnelly a écrit :
> On Monday 27 November 2006 02:09, Rajko M wrote:
>> Have you looked this article:
>> http://en.opensuse.org/SSH_Tunnels_from_Microsoft_Windows
>
> That's a terrific piece of work.  Congratulations to whoever wrote it.
>

depending what you mean to do on the linux computer, there
is a simpler procedure.

use putty like an ssh client and connect to your server (of
course ssh access must be open on this server).

this opens a terminal on the server.

from this one "ssh <our computer on the local net>" and you
are done.

of course this need an account on the three machines :-). I
use it frequently to copy (scp) a forgotten file from my
home computer to a remote one (two scp, in fact).

jdd
--
http://www.dodin.net
http://dodin.org/mediawiki/index.php/GPS_Lowrance_GO
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Connecting to Linux from Windows

PhilipMD
I use Putty from windows also. Or I run the apache2 server on SuSE to
access files on linux from windows. Samba and WebDAV are good ways to
write data to linux system from windows, but they are slightly more
difficult to set up. Also the a windows filesystem can be accessed
from linux by adding an entry to /etc/fstab.

Recently I've been emulating windows using qemu. Basically you install
windows on a hard drive image created with qemu-img. Then windows is
actually running on a Linux host. In fact there are a flood of ways to
exchange data between windows and linux. We don't need a deal between
corporations to do that.

Here's a quickstart guide. http://kidsquid.com/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/QuickStartGuid

I also documented this on my blog,
http://donaghy.blogspot.com/2006_11_01_donaghy_archive.html#116428520200356139

Philip

On 11/27/06, jdd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Kevin Donnelly a écrit :
> > On Monday 27 November 2006 02:09, Rajko M wrote:
> >> Have you looked this article:
> >> http://en.opensuse.org/SSH_Tunnels_from_Microsoft_Windows
> >
> > That's a terrific piece of work.  Congratulations to whoever wrote it.
> >
>
> depending what you mean to do on the linux computer, there
> is a simpler procedure.
>
> use putty like an ssh client and connect to your server (of
> course ssh access must be open on this server).
>
> this opens a terminal on the server.
>
> from this one "ssh <our computer on the local net>" and you
> are done.
>
> of course this need an account on the three machines :-). I
> use it frequently to copy (scp) a forgotten file from my
> home computer to a remote one (two scp, in fact).
>
> jdd
> --
> http://www.dodin.net
> http://dodin.org/mediawiki/index.php/GPS_Lowrance_GO
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>


--
Philip Donaghy
donaghy.blogspot.com del.icio.us/donaghy/philip
Skype: philipmarkdonaghy
Office: +33 5 56 60 88 02
Mobile: +33 6 20 83 22 62
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Connecting to Linux from Windows

James Knott
In reply to this post by Scott Leighton
Scott Leighton wrote:
>> I found Xming was easier to set up than Cygwin.
>>    
>
>    Yes, if you don't want/need the other *nix features of
> Cygwin, then Xming is the way to go. Very simple.
>  

If you want those "*nix features", you can still install Cygwin, without X.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Connecting to Linux from Windows

Geir A. Myrestrand
In reply to this post by Thomas Miller
Thomas Miller wrote:
> I want to be able to administer my server from Windows.  What program or
> tools would you recommend?  Thanks!
>

My favorites are PuTTY and NoMachine's NX software
(http://www.nomachine.com/download.php), both have been mentioned in
this thread already.

I used VNC before, but don't use it much anymore. I prefer NX when I
need a GUI because it compresses and decompresses the data before and
after transferring the data on the wire, and thus make it workable on
even relatively slow network connections. I do occasionally use
NetSarang Computer, Inc.'s Xmanager too, it is a very slick X
implementation for Windows. This one ain't free though...

For command line stuff nothing beats PuTTY. I use it a lot to access
mainly Linux and Solaris boxes, and is perhaps my most important tool.
You'll never look back after having used this.

--

Geir A. Myrestrand
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Connecting to Linux from Windows

Doug McGarrett
At 10:23 AM 11/27/2006 -0500, Geir A. Myrestrand wrote:

>
>Thomas Miller wrote:
>> I want to be able to administer my server from Windows.  What program or
>> tools would you recommend?  Thanks!
>>
>
>My favorites are PuTTY and NoMachine's NX software
>(http://www.nomachine.com/download.php), both have been mentioned in
>this thread already.
>
>I used VNC before, but don't use it much anymore. I prefer NX when I
>need a GUI because it compresses and decompresses the data before and
>after transferring the data on the wire, and thus make it workable on
>even relatively slow network connections. I do occasionally use
>NetSarang Computer, Inc.'s Xmanager too, it is a very slick X
>implementation for Windows. This one ain't free though...
>
>For command line stuff nothing beats PuTTY. I use it a lot to access
>mainly Linux and Solaris boxes, and is perhaps my most important tool.
>You'll never look back after having used this.
>
>--
>
>Geir A. Myrestrand
>--

I'm not sure any of this thread answers a question of mine, but I may be
wrong.
What I would like to do is have a transparent path in both directions to
exchange files between an XP system and Linux 9.3.  I also need concise
directions how to set this up in both systems.  Drag and drop would be
nice, but is not essential.

--doug

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Connecting to Linux from Windows

Patrick Shanahan
* Doug McGarrett <[hidden email]> [11-27-06 14:50]:
> What I would like to do is have a transparent path in both directions to
> exchange files between an XP system and Linux 9.3.  I also need concise
> directions how to set this up in both systems.  Drag and drop would be
> nice, but is not essential.

samba and krusader allows direct transfer with both sides showing, ie:
left side windoz c:\ drive     --------   right side linux directory

I use it frequently.
--
Patrick Shanahan                        Registered Linux User #207535
http://wahoo.no-ip.org                        @ http://counter.li.org
HOG # US1244711         Photo Album:  http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Connecting to Linux from Windows

Geir A. Myrestrand
In reply to this post by Doug McGarrett
Doug McGarrett wrote:
> I'm not sure any of this thread answers a question of mine, but I may be
> wrong.

Your question seems to be a bit different.

> What I would like to do is have a transparent path in both directions to
> exchange files between an XP system and Linux 9.3.  I also need concise
> directions how to set this up in both systems.  Drag and drop would be
> nice, but is not essential.

Doug, you can do this in various ways, but using a share on Windows and
setting up Samba on the SLP 9.3 machine would do the trick if you need
to copy files back and forth with or without a GUI. If you're using
Active Directory, then you could even have authentication happen against
AD for both.

Concise directions on how to set up and configure Samba can be found at
www.samba.org, but you may want to check your SLP 9.3 documentation as
well since you may be able to configure Samba via YaST.

If this is overkill for your needs, then another alternative is to
install and configure SSH on your systems.

--

Geir A. Myrestrand
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Connecting to Linux from Windows

Darryl Gregorash
On 2006-11-27 15:12, Geir A. Myrestrand wrote:
> <snip>
> Concise directions on how to set up and configure Samba can be found
> at www.samba.org, but you may want to check your SLP 9.3 documentation
> as well since you may be able to configure Samba via YaST.
You can configure quite a bit of Samba inside Yast, but are far better
to make sure SWAT is installed, and access that via any browser
(http://localhost:901).

--
The best way to accelerate a computer running Windows is at 9.81 m/s²

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

12