Command disclosure

Donn Washburn
Hey Group;

As a person that like to know what the system program is doing to carry
out a command in the back ground.  I suggest, if Yast/Yast2 could have a
field on the face of Yast/Yast2 (a blank charcacter line) that is filled
with the under lying command and arguments that it is executing.  That
would be very informative to Linux GUI operators/end users.  This came
to me today thinking about how yast checks the integrity of a CD for
pass/fail.  I guess it read the checksum and does something with it.
The "something" is the question.  Is it a "mount", "cdrecord", "wodim"
or other process?

Yast normally works well and is a very powerful value added package.

--
73 de Donn Washburn
307 Savoy Street     Email: " [hidden email] "

Did you know?
The transistor was invented by three white men.

Re: Command disclosure

Ladislav Slezak
Hello,

Donn Washburn wrote:
> Hey Group;
>
> As a person that like to know what the system program is doing to carry out a
> command in the back ground.  I suggest, if Yast/Yast2 could have a field on
> the face of Yast/Yast2 (a blank charcacter line) that is filled with the
> under lying command and arguments that it is executing.  That would be very
> informative to Linux GUI operators/end users.

In some situations it might be good to know the current command, but I think
that it would be very strange for beginner users to see some strange commands...

And sometimes it's not possible to show performed actions - for example library
calls...

If you want to know what yast is doing look at the log (/var/log/YaST2/y2log).

> This came to me today thinking about how yast checks the integrity of a CD
> for pass/fail.  I guess it read the checksum and does something with it. The
> "something" is the question.  Is it a "mount", "cdrecord", "wodim" or other
> process?

In this case the yast module is just a GUI for "checkmedia" binary. You can
check a physical medium or an ISO image - e.g. "checkmedia /dev/sdb" or
"checkmedia img.iso"

Each medium contains checksum in the ISO9660 application area. The checksum is
added by "tagmedia" (see checkmedia package).

> Yast normally works well and is a very powerful value added package.

That's nice to hear...

--

Best Regards

Ladislav Slezák
Yast Developer

Re: Command disclosure

YaST2 command line

James Tremblay
would someone help me figure out why
yast2 add-on cd:/// does not work?
the command returns "there is no interface for that module available"

man yast2 says that yast2 add-on longhelp should give me more info, but it
starts the gui "add-on" module looking for /longhelp media
--
James Tremblay
Director of Technology

Re: YaST2 command line

Jiri Suchomel
On Wednesday 30 May 2007 02:01, James Tremblay wrote:
> would someone help me figure out why
> yast2 add-on cd:/// does not work?
> the command returns "there is no interface for that module available"
>
> man yast2 says that yast2 add-on longhelp should give me more info, but it
> starts the gui "add-on" module looking for /longhelp media

It looks like this module doesn't have command line interface - you may enter
a bug into bugzilla.novell.com to ask for one...

Jiri

--
Jiri Suchomel

SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.                            e-mail: [hidden email]
Lihovarská 1060/12                            tel: +420 284 028 960
190 00 Praha 9, Czech Republic                http://www.suse.cz

Re: Command disclosure