Closing the lid of the laptop does not activate the power functions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Closing the lid of the laptop does not activate the power functions

Lívio Cipriano-4
Hi all,
I'm using openSuse 42.2 with the latest kernel (4.4.62-18.6.1) and the latest
Plasma5 updates in an HP Pavilion dv7 laptop with an Optimus Nvidia graphics
card, but i'm using the i915 video driver. After the latest updates, closing
the lid of the laptop does not activate the power functions (suspend,
hibernate, etc) and they are well configured in the Power Configuration. These
functions are operational from the KDE menu. Any ideas?
Regards
Lívio Cipriano

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Closing the lid of the laptop does not activate the power functions

Jan Ritzerfeld-3
Am Sonntag, 4. Juni 2017, 10:03:42 CEST schrieb Lívio Cipriano:
> [...] After the latest
> updates, closing the lid of the laptop does not activate the power
> functions (suspend, hibernate, etc) and they are well configured in the
> Power Configuration. These functions are operational from the KDE menu. Any
> ideas?

Maybe. If your system thinks that it is docked or there are multiple displays
attached, it will not react to closing the lid. So, does "systemd-inhibit --
list" show any inhibition lock like "What: [...]handle-lid-switch[...]" and
"Mode: block"?

Gruß
 Jan
--
Boycott Jane Fonda. (everyone hates Jane Fonda, don't they?)


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Closing the lid of the laptop does not activate the power functions

Lívio Cipriano-4
On domingo, 4 de junho de 2017 11:33:35 WEST Jan Ritzerfeld wrote:
> systemd-inhibit --
> list

Thanks Jan

lcipriano@hp:~> systemd-inhibit --
     Who: Screen Locker (UID 1000/lcipriano, PID 2524/ksmserver)
    What: sleep
     Why: Ensuring that the screen gets locked before going to sleep
    Mode: delay

     Who: NetworkManager (UID 0/root, PID 1986/NetworkManager)
    What: sleep
     Why: NetworkManager needs to turn off networks
    Mode: delay

     Who: PowerDevil (UID 1000/lcipriano, PID 2591/org_kde_powerde)
    What: handle-power-key:handle-suspend-key:handle-hibernate-key:handle-lid-
switch
     Why: KDE handles power events
    Mode: block

Looks that the problem it's on PowerDevil no?

Regards
Lívio


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Closing the lid of the laptop does not activate the power functions

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Lívio Cipriano <[hidden email]> [06-04-17 11:58]:

> On domingo, 4 de junho de 2017 11:33:35 WEST Jan Ritzerfeld wrote:
> > systemd-inhibit --
> > list
>
> Thanks Jan
>
> lcipriano@hp:~> systemd-inhibit --
>      Who: Screen Locker (UID 1000/lcipriano, PID 2524/ksmserver)
>     What: sleep
>      Why: Ensuring that the screen gets locked before going to sleep
>     Mode: delay
>
>      Who: NetworkManager (UID 0/root, PID 1986/NetworkManager)
>     What: sleep
>      Why: NetworkManager needs to turn off networks
>     Mode: delay
>
>      Who: PowerDevil (UID 1000/lcipriano, PID 2591/org_kde_powerde)
>     What: handle-power-key:handle-suspend-key:handle-hibernate-key:handle-lid-
> switch
>      Why: KDE handles power events
>     Mode: block
>
> Looks that the problem it's on PowerDevil no?

yes, *no*.  appears systemd-inhibit is actually blocking powerdevil because
kde is set to handle power events.  isn't that what you want?  do you have
kde set to <your-power-choice> when you close the lid?

--
(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA          @ptilopteri
http://en.opensuse.org    openSUSE Community Member    facebook/ptilopteri
Registered Linux User #207535                    @ http://linuxcounter.net
Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo                    paka @ IRCnet freenode

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Closing the lid of the laptop does not activate the power functions

Lívio Cipriano-4
On domingo, 4 de junho de 2017 17:21:16 WEST Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> do you have
> kde set to <your-power-choice> when you close the lid?

Thanks Patrick
Yes I want, so ... The last KDE updates don't do it correctly? That's it?
Regards
Lívio


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Closing the lid of the laptop does not activate the power functions

John Andersen-2
On June 4, 2017 9:44:34 AM PDT, "Lívio Cipriano" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On domingo, 4 de junho de 2017 17:21:16 WEST Patrick Shanahan wrote:
>> do you have
>> kde set to <your-power-choice> when you close the lid?
>
>Thanks Patrick
>Yes I want, so ... The last KDE updates don't do it correctly? That's
>it?
>Regards
>Lívio
>

It still works for me with the latest updates.  It's an older dell laptop.



--
Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Closing the lid of the laptop does not activate the power functions

Patrick Shanahan-2
In reply to this post by Lívio Cipriano-4
* Lívio Cipriano <[hidden email]> [06-04-17 12:45]:
> On domingo, 4 de junho de 2017 17:21:16 WEST Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > do you have
> > kde set to <your-power-choice> when you close the lid?
>
> Thanks Patrick
> Yes I want, so ... The last KDE updates don't do it correctly? That's it?

they do for me, but you said your's was not working.  I believe I would
look and see if it was set the way I wanted instead of looking for a
problem you don't know exists.

if something is not working the way you expect, first check that *your*
settings provide what you want.  *then* look for other causes.
--
(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA          @ptilopteri
http://en.opensuse.org    openSUSE Community Member    facebook/ptilopteri
Registered Linux User #207535                    @ http://linuxcounter.net
Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo                    paka @ IRCnet freenode

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Closing the lid of the laptop does not activate the power functions

Jan Ritzerfeld-3
In reply to this post by Lívio Cipriano-4
Am Sonntag, 4. Juni 2017, 16:57:03 CEST schrieb Lívio Cipriano:
> [...]

Your inhibition locks look fine.

> Looks that the problem it's on PowerDevil no?

Or the state of the lid switch is not correctly reported to PowerDevil.
You could install the "evtest" package and to test the lid switch. Just run it
as root without any argument and then enter the event number for the lid
switch (there will be a list of all available events including a description).

Gruß
 Jan
--
It is the loose ends with which men hang themselves.


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Closing the lid of the laptop does not activate the power functions

Lívio Cipriano-4
In reply to this post by Lívio Cipriano-4
On domingo, 4 de junho de 2017 10:03:42 WEST Lívio Cipriano wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm using openSuse 42.2 with the latest kernel (4.4.62-18.6.1) and the
> latest Plasma5 updates in an HP Pavilion dv7 laptop with an Optimus Nvidia
> graphics card, but i'm using the i915 video driver. After the latest
> updates, closing the lid of the laptop does not activate the power
> functions (suspend, hibernate, etc) and they are well configured in the
> Power Configuration. These functions are operational from the KDE menu. Any
> ideas?
> Regards
> Lívio Cipriano

Dear All,
I choose to reinstall 42.2 from dvd with the latest updates from openSuse
repositories, so basically i'm using Plasms 5.8.6

I decide to do this cause, with the sw upon, the wifi button was HW blocked
after i change user from my account to root account in KDE environment. I
could not unlock it with rfkill and turning the lap top off and disconnecting
the battery; repeating the it several times.

But the lid problem persists. Anyway, you give some clues that I'm going to
explore.
Regards
Lívio



--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]