Cleaning up plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc

Cleaning up plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc

Rodney Baker-2
Hi all. Is there a tool that can be used to clean up ~/.config/plasma-
org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc (other than deleting it and recreating my
desktop setup from scratch)?

Mine has many "containments" and applets that are no longer visible on the
desktop, but still in the file. For example, there are 4 instances of
"plugin=org.kde.plasma.systemmonitor.diskusage" and associated configurations
in the file, but only 1 visible on the desktop (although I do have 4 virtual
desktops, but I don't use activities at the moment).

[...]
[Containments][146][Applets][141]
immutability=1
plugin=org.kde.plasma.systemmonitor.diskusage

[Containments][146][Applets][141][Configuration]
PreloadWeight=0

[Containments][146][Applets][141][Configuration][ConfigDialog]
DialogHeight=420
DialogWidth=560

[Containments][146][Applets][141][Configuration][General]
sources=partitions%2Fbackup%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Fdownloads%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Fvar%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Fdata%2FTeaching%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Fhome%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Fdata%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Fusr%2Flocal%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Fboot%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Froot%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2F%2Ffilllevel

[...]
[Containments][150][Applets][152]
immutability=1
plugin=org.kde.plasma.systemmonitor.diskusage

[Containments][150][Applets][152][Configuration]
PreloadWeight=0

[Containments][150][Applets][152][Configuration][ConfigDialog]
DialogHeight=420
DialogWidth=560

[Containments][150][Applets][152][Configuration][General]
sources=partitions%2F%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Froot%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Fboot%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Fusr%2Flocal%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Fdata%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Fdownloads%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Fvar%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Fhome%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Fdata%2FTeaching%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Fbackup%2Ffilllevel

[...]

[Containments][210][Applets][236]
immutability=1
plugin=org.kde.plasma.systemmonitor.diskusage

[Containments][210][Applets][236][Configuration][ConfigDialog]
DialogHeight=420
DialogWidth=560

[Containments][210][Applets][236][Configuration][General]
sources=partitions%2F%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Fboot%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Fusr%2Flocal%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Froot%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Fdata%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Fvar%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Fhome%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Fdownloads%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Fdata%2FTeaching%2Ffilllevel
[Containments][71][Applets][89]
immutability=1
plugin=org.kde.plasma.systemmonitor.diskusage

[..]

[Containments][71][Applets][89][Configuration]
PreloadWeight=0

[Containments][71][Applets][89][Configuration][ConfigDialog]
DialogHeight=420
DialogWidth=560

[Containments][71][Applets][89][Configuration][General]
sources=partitions%2F%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Fboot%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Froot%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Fusr%2Flocal%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Fdata%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Fhome%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Fvar%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Fdata%2FTeaching%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Fdownloads%2Ffilllevel,partitions%2Fbackup%2Ffilllevel

How do I determine which of these is actually the active configuration and
which (if any) can be deleted?

The desktop now takes anywhere from 30-60 seconds to load after the splash
screen fades to black. In that time I can use alt-F2 to open apps and they
open with the correct window decorations, transparency, window effects etc.
but the wallpaper, applets and panels don't appear until they're good and
ready. In the mean time, its apps opened from alt-f2 on a black screen.

There appears to be a lot of crud left over in this file from applets that
have been removed from the desktop or from times when an applet has either
crashed or failed to load and has been re-added to the desktop, but the old
configuration still hangs around.

Yes, I could move this file somewhere else and recreate my desktop from
scratch, but I'd rather not if I don't have to. Any other suggestions as to
how to clean it up will be gratefully received.

Regards,
Rodney.

Rodney Baker VK5ZTV
[hidden email]
CCNA #CSCO12880208

Re: Cleaning up plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc

Luca Beltrame
In data giovedì 14 febbraio 2019 13:42:15 CET, Rodney Baker ha scritto:
> Hi all. Is there a tool that can be used to clean up ~/.config/plasma-
> org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc (other than deleting it and recreating my
> desktop setup from scratch)?

I don't think it exists at the moment. However, given the impulse towards
fixing these kinds of papercuts, you may want to file a bug at bugs.kde.org (I
had noticed it already a few months ago, but I didn't - shame on me).

--
Luca Beltrame - KDE Forums team
GPG key ID: A29D259B

On Friday, 15 February 2019 0:23:34 ACDT Luca Beltrame wrote:
> In data giovedì 14 febbraio 2019 13:42:15 CET, Rodney Baker ha scritto:
> > Hi all. Is there a tool that can be used to clean up ~/.config/plasma-
> > org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc (other than deleting it and recreating my
> > desktop setup from scratch)?
>
> I don't think it exists at the moment. However, given the impulse towards
> fixing these kinds of papercuts, you may want to file a bug at bugs.kde.org
> (I had noticed it already a few months ago, but I didn't - shame on me).

OK, thanks. I'll try to get around to that this weekend. I'll post the bug ID
here for reference.

Rodney Baker VK5ZTV
[hidden email]
CCNA #CSCO12880208

Re: Cleaning up plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc

Bruno Friedmann-2
On vendredi, 15 février 2019 13.53:35 h CET Rodney Baker wrote:

> On Friday, 15 February 2019 0:23:34 ACDT Luca Beltrame wrote:
> > In data giovedì 14 febbraio 2019 13:42:15 CET, Rodney Baker ha scritto:
> > > Hi all. Is there a tool that can be used to clean up ~/.config/plasma-
> > > org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc (other than deleting it and recreating
> > > my
> > > desktop setup from scratch)?
> >
> > I don't think it exists at the moment. However, given the impulse towards
> > fixing these kinds of papercuts, you may want to file a bug at
> > bugs.kde.org
> > (I had noticed it already a few months ago, but I didn't - shame on me).
>
> OK, thanks. I'll try to get around to that this weekend. I'll post the bug
> ID here for reference.

If you have a bug id, yes please report back, I will be in quickly too :-)

--

Bruno Friedmann
 Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch

On Sunday, 17 February 2019 3:51:39 ACDT Bruno Friedmann wrote:

> On vendredi, 15 février 2019 13.53:35 h CET Rodney Baker wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't think it exists at the moment. However, given the impulse
> > > towards
> > > fixing these kinds of papercuts, you may want to file a bug at
> > > bugs.kde.org
> > > (I had noticed it already a few months ago, but I didn't - shame on me).
> >
> > OK, thanks. I'll try to get around to that this weekend. I'll post the bug
> > ID here for reference.
>
> If you have a bug id, yes please report back, I will be in quickly too :-)
Bug ID 404641 @ bugs.kde.org.

Regards,
Rodney.

Rodney Baker VK5ZTV