Chromium: automatic Google Hotword binary blob download

Chromium: automatic Google Hotword binary blob download

Peter Hanisch
Dear all,

a poster on the debian mailing list for chromium has pointed out
relatively recently that chromium 43+ seems to download a binary blob
from the google web store which enables voice commands and listens for
the "OK Google" command. You can find the relevant thread here:

Typing "chrome://voicesearch/" in chromium 45 on Tumbleweed yields the
following results, suggesting that the same blob exists here, too:

About Voice Search

Chromium 45.0.2421.0 ()
OS Linux
NaCl Enabled No
Microphone Yes
Audio Capture Allowed Yes
Current Language en-GB
Hotword Previous Language en-GB
Hotword Search Enabled No
Always-on Hotword Search Enabled No
Hotword Audio Logging Enabled No
Start Page State No Start Page Service
Extension Id nbpagnldghgfoolbancepceaanlmhfmd
Extension Version 0.0.1.4
Extension Path /usr/lib64/chromium/resources/hotword
Extension State ENABLED
Shared Module Id lccekmodgklaepjeofjdjpbminllajkg
Shared Module Version 0.3.0.5
Shared Module Path
/home/ryko/.config/chromium/Default/Extensions/lccekmodgklaepjeofjdjpbminllajkg/0.3.0.5_0
Shared Module State ENABLED
Shared Module Platforms x86-64_en-gb

According to the debian thread, a solution exists since upstream added
an _opt out_ build option to disable this plugin (which is not listed on
chromium's own "chrome://plugins/" page) when chromium is initially
built. This is the relevant chromium issue:

Could we make use of this build option for the chromium packages here in
openSUSE and thus disable blob downloading by default?

All the best,
Peter

Re: Chromium: automatic Google Hotword binary blob download

Raymond Wooninck-2
On Tuesday 16 June 2015 17:04:36 Peter Hanisch wrote:
> According to the debian thread, a solution exists since upstream added
> an _opt out_ build option to disable this plugin (which is not listed on
> chromium's own "chrome://plugins/" page) when chromium is initially
> built. This is the relevant chromium issue:
> https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=491435
>
> Could we make use of this build option for the chromium packages here in
> openSUSE and thus disable blob downloading by default?

I have added the build option to all chromium builds, but it will take some
time before this arrives as an update for 13.2 and in Tumbleweed.  So please
be patient.

Furthermore the blob itself will never work as that it requires NativeClient
(NaCl), which is not active for our builds as that this is actually also just
a binary blob and was deactivated quite some time ago.

Regards

Raymond

On 17/06/15 10:18, Raymond Wooninck wrote:

> On Tuesday 16 June 2015 17:04:36 Peter Hanisch wrote:
>> According to the debian thread, a solution exists since upstream added
>> an _opt out_ build option to disable this plugin (which is not listed on
>> chromium's own "chrome://plugins/" page) when chromium is initially
>> built. This is the relevant chromium issue:
>> https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=491435
>>
>> Could we make use of this build option for the chromium packages here in
>> openSUSE and thus disable blob downloading by default?
>
> I have added the build option to all chromium builds, but it will take some
> time before this arrives as an update for 13.2 and in Tumbleweed.  So please
> be patient.
>
> Furthermore the blob itself will never work as that it requires NativeClient
> (NaCl), which is not active for our builds as that this is actually also just
> a binary blob and was deactivated quite some time ago.
>
> Regards
>
> Raymond

Dear Raymond,

that's excellent to hear (also the bit about NaCl), thank you!

All the best,
Peter