Change password screen 12.3

James Knott
After a period of inactivity, the screen changes to an ugly picture,
with a password prompt box in the middle.  Is it possible to go back to
the plain black screen that I had in 12.2?  I don't care about the
password prompt, but I don't need it either, as I don't use a password
for my home desktop.  I checked in Configure Desktop, but didn't find
anything that fixes this.

Re: Change password screen 12.3

Anton Aylward-2
James Knott said the following on 03/19/2013 11:24 AM:
> After a period of inactivity, the screen changes to an ugly picture,
> with a password prompt box in the middle.  Is it possible to go back to
> the plain black screen that I had in 12.2?  I don't care about the
> password prompt, but I don't need it either, as I don't use a password
> for my home desktop.  I checked in Configure Desktop, but didn't find
> anything that fixes this.

I get that on the newly installed 12.3 on one of my scratch machines,
but only when I'm using xfce4.  I uninsulated the xscreensaver package,
which was installed without asking me and which I previously hadn't had
installed and it all went away.

I've not had that problem with KDE4.  It does seem to be a configuration
option with KDE4 but I never found how to turn it off with XFCE4 - maybe
I didn't look hard enough :-/

--
withdrawl (n): The feeling you get when removed from people who speak
your native language and placed in the Deep South.

Re: Change password screen 12.3

Mike-207
On Tuesday, March 19, 2013 09:24:56 AM James Knott wrote:
> After a period of inactivity, the screen changes to an ugly picture,
> with a password prompt box in the middle.  Is it possible to go back to
> the plain black screen that I had in 12.2?  I don't care about the
> password prompt, but I don't need it either, as I don't use a password
> for my home desktop.  I checked in Configure Desktop, but didn't find
> anything that fixes this.

If you are talking about 12.3, it's located in the Configure Desktop under
Display and Monitor. For whatever reason, Screen saver is now a choice along
with Screen lock which seems to be the default.

Mike

Mike wrote:

> On Tuesday, March 19, 2013 09:24:56 AM James Knott wrote:
>> After a period of inactivity, the screen changes to an ugly picture,
>> with a password prompt box in the middle.  Is it possible to go back to
>> the plain black screen that I had in 12.2?  I don't care about the
>> password prompt, but I don't need it either, as I don't use a password
>> for my home desktop.  I checked in Configure Desktop, but didn't find
>> anything that fixes this.
> If you are talking about 12.3, it's located in the Configure Desktop under
> Display and Monitor. For whatever reason, Screen saver is now a choice along
> with Screen lock which seems to be the default.

That only seems to work once.  The first time it happens after setting
that, it will work as desired, but only once.  The next time I'm back to
the same ugly screen and password prompt.