Categories for desktop files

Axel Braun-2
Morning,

I'm struggeling with the categories for desktop files.
According to
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Packaging_desktop_menu_categories
the entry
Categories=Science;MedicalSoftware;Biology;
should be valid.
Build in OBS fails with
[   66s] ERROR: No sufficient Category definition

Any ideas? Was maybe the move of subcategories from education to science not
handled in the check (potentially /usr/lib/rpm/brp-suse.d/brp-30-desktop )

Thanks
Axel

Re: Categories for desktop files

Axel Braun-2
Am Donnerstag, 4. Januar 2018, 08:14:51 CET schrieb Axel Braun:

> I'm struggeling with the categories for desktop files.
> According to
> https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Packaging_desktop_menu_categories
> the entry
> Categories=Science;MedicalSoftware;Biology;
> should be valid.
> Build in OBS fails with
> [   66s] ERROR: No sufficient Category definition
>
> Any ideas? Was maybe the move of subcategories from education to science not
> handled in the check (potentially /usr/lib/rpm/brp-suse.d/brp-30-desktop )

Looks like this is fricked up since years, see
https://github.com/openSUSE/brp-check-suse/issues/4
can we just disable it?

Cheers
Axel

Re: Categories for desktop files

Ludwig Nussel
Axel Braun wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 4. Januar 2018, 08:14:51 CET schrieb Axel Braun:
>
>> I'm struggeling with the categories for desktop files.
>> According to
>> https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Packaging_desktop_menu_categories
>> the entry
>> Categories=Science;MedicalSoftware;Biology;
>> should be valid.
>> Build in OBS fails with
>> [   66s] ERROR: No sufficient Category definition
>>
>> Any ideas? Was maybe the move of subcategories from education to science not
>> handled in the check (potentially /usr/lib/rpm/brp-suse.d/brp-30-desktop )
>
> Looks like this is fricked up since years, see
> https://github.com/openSUSE/brp-check-suse/issues/4
> can we just disable it?

Certainly quite old code. Nowadays one would do such checks in
rpmlint I guess. AFAICS the checks in that script make sure desktop
files are sane enough and produce a proper menu structure. Question
is if anyone still cares enough for that. If not we could just as
well drop the check.

cu
Ludwig

--
  (o_   Ludwig Nussel
  //\

Re: Categories for desktop files

Axel Braun-2
Hi Ludwig,

Am 8. Januar 2018 13:31:07 MEZ schrieb Ludwig Nussel <[hidden email]>:

>Axel Braun wrote:
>> Am Donnerstag, 4. Januar 2018, 08:14:51 CET schrieb Axel Braun:
>>
>>> I'm struggeling with the categories for desktop files.
>>> According to
>>> https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Packaging_desktop_menu_categories
>>> the entry
>>> Categories=Science;MedicalSoftware;Biology;
>>> should be valid.
>>> Build in OBS fails with
>>> [   66s] ERROR: No sufficient Category definition
>>>
>>> Any ideas? Was maybe the move of subcategories from education to
>science not
>>> handled in the check (potentially
>/usr/lib/rpm/brp-suse.d/brp-30-desktop )
>>
>> Looks like this is fricked up since years, see
>> https://github.com/openSUSE/brp-check-suse/issues/4
>> can we just disable it?
>
>Certainly quite old code. Nowadays one would do such checks in
>rpmlint I guess. AFAICS the checks in that script make sure desktop
>files are sane enough and produce a proper menu structure. Question
>is if anyone still cares enough for that. If not we could just as
>well drop the check.

So who is taking action in this, and when?

Cu,
Axel