Can't install 13.1 on Netfinity server

James Knott
I've been trying to install opensusE 13.1 i586 on an IBM Netfinity
server, but it fails with an error message:

"Unable to create repository
from URL 'cd:/?devices=/dev/sr0'.
Details:
[|] Valid metadata not found at specified URL
History:
- Can't hardlink/copy /var/adm/mount/AP_0x0uZ040/media.1/media to
/var/cache/zypp/raw/cd-6e2e8d40v8pDTq
- Can't provide /media.1/media"

It doesn't make any difference whether I start with blank disks or
previously formatted in 11.4.  I can install 11.4 on this system.  It
has 4 146.8 GB SCSI drives in RAID & LVM.

tnx jk

Re: Can't install 13.1 on Netfinity server

Claudio ML
Il 20/11/2013 20:28, James Knott ha scritto:

> I've been trying to install opensusE 13.1 i586 on an IBM Netfinity
> server, but it fails with an error message:
>
> "Unable to create repository
> from URL 'cd:/?devices=/dev/sr0'.
> Details:
> [|] Valid metadata not found at specified URL
> History:
> - Can't hardlink/copy /var/adm/mount/AP_0x0uZ040/media.1/media to
> /var/cache/zypp/raw/cd-6e2e8d40v8pDTq
> - Can't provide /media.1/media"
>
> It doesn't make any difference whether I start with blank disks or
> previously formatted in 11.4.  I can install 11.4 on this system.  It
> has 4 146.8 GB SCSI drives in RAID & LVM.
>
> tnx jk

You have checked the integrity of the DVD ?

Claudio.

Claudio ML wrote:
> You have checked the integrity of the DVD ?

Yes.  That's something I always do.

James Knott wrote:

> I've been trying to install opensusE 13.1 i586 on an IBM Netfinity
> server, but it fails with an error message:
>
> "Unable to create repository
> from URL 'cd:/?devices=/dev/sr0'.
> Details:
> [|] Valid metadata not found at specified URL
> History:
> - Can't hardlink/copy /var/adm/mount/AP_0x0uZ040/media.1/media to
> /var/cache/zypp/raw/cd-6e2e8d40v8pDTq
> - Can't provide /media.1/media"
>
> It doesn't make any difference whether I start with blank disks or
> previously formatted in 11.4.  I can install 11.4 on this system.  It
> has 4 146.8 GB SCSI drives in RAID & LVM.
>
> tnx jk

I was finally able to get it to install by using a net install.
However, when it boots up, the video is just garbage and there's no
response to the keyboard.  I can ping the computer, but not ssh to it.

Re: Can't install 13.1 on Netfinity server

Felix Miata-3
On 2013-11-21 18:07 (GMT-0500) James Knott composed:

>> I've been trying to install opensusE 13.1 i586 on an IBM Netfinity
>> server, but it fails with an error message:
>> It doesn't make any difference whether I start with blank disks or
>> previously formatted in 11.4.  I can install 11.4 on this system.  It
>> has 4 146.8 GB SCSI drives in RAID & LVM.

> I was finally able to get it to install by using a net install.
> However, when it boots up, the video is just garbage and there's no
> response to the keyboard.  I can ping the computer, but not ssh to it.

What video chip is in that machine?

Is the Grub menu working OK?

Is the prior kernel there and working OK?

Failsafe (nomodeset) boot stanza is no help?

Did you assign new UUID to either sda6 or sda7 to ensure no trouble due to
duplicates?

Do both sda6 and sda7 share the same volume label?

Any difference if you append '3 nomodeset splash=0 noplymouth vga=normal' to
default Grub stanza?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

On 2013-11-21 18:07 (GMT-0500) James Knott composed:

>> I've been trying to install opensusE 13.1 i586 on an IBM Netfinity
>> server, but it fails with an error message:
>> It doesn't make any difference whether I start with blank disks or
>> previously formatted in 11.4.  I can install 11.4 on this system.  It
>> has 4 146.8 GB SCSI drives in RAID & LVM.

> I was finally able to get it to install by using a net install.
> However, when it boots up, the video is just garbage and there's no
> response to the keyboard.  I can ping the computer, but not ssh to it.

What video chip is in that machine?

Is the Grub menu keyboard & video working OK?

Is there a prior kernel there and working OK?

Felix Miata wrote:

> On 2013-11-21 18:07 (GMT-0500) James Knott composed:
>
>>> I've been trying to install opensusE 13.1 i586 on an IBM Netfinity
>>> server, but it fails with an error message:
>>> It doesn't make any difference whether I start with blank disks or
>>> previously formatted in 11.4.  I can install 11.4 on this system.  It
>>> has 4 146.8 GB SCSI drives in RAID & LVM.
>
>> I was finally able to get it to install by using a net install.
>> However, when it boots up, the video is just garbage and there's no
>> response to the keyboard.  I can ping the computer, but not ssh to it.
>
> What video chip is in that machine?

I don't recall and until I can get a working system installed, I can't say.

> Is the Grub menu working OK?

I haven't even seen a grub menu.  I get a screen with openSUSE 13.1 and
Advanced option.

> Is the prior kernel there and working OK?

As I mentioned, 11.4 worked fine.
> Failsafe (nomodeset) boot stanza is no help?

I get absolutely no useable output.  I can't check anything.
> Did you assign new UUID to either sda6 or sda7 to ensure no trouble
> due to duplicates?
No and how would I do that?  This is a SCSI system with 4 drives in RAID
& LVM.  /boot is on RAID 1

> Do both sda6 and sda7 share the same volume label?

See above
> Any difference if you append '3 nomodeset splash=0 noplymouth
> vga=normal' to default Grub stanza?

I don't even see anywhere I can do that.

James Knott wrote:
>> What video chip is in that machine?
> I don't recall and until I can get a working system installed, I can't say.

I was finally able to get in.  I used ssh -X to root and can run yast2.
It says "S3 Savage 4" display controller.

So, the system is up and running enough for me to connect to it via ssh
and run graphical apps, but I can't do anything with the keyboard & monitor.

Curious thing, the user I set up during install doesn't appear in
/etc/passwd, though the home directory for that user exists.

James Knott wrote:
> I was finally able to get in.  I used ssh -X to root and can run yast2.
> It says "S3 Savage 4" display controller.

I ran systemsettings remotely, but it want's to change the display
settings on the system I'm using to reach it.

So, I can ssh -X to run graphical apps, but I can't use the keyboard &
monitor attached to that computer.

On 2013-11-21 22:05 (GMT-0500) James Knott composed:

> James Knott wrote:

>> I was finally able to get in.  I used ssh -X to root and can run yast2.
>> It says "S3 Savage 4" display controller.

That sounds like something at least 15 years old. Any chance to stick
anything newer in it? Did xf86-video-savage get installed? Sounds like
something that may require nomodeset on cmdline for video to work.

Did all the basic xf86-input-mouse/keyboard drivers get properly installed?

> I ran systemsettings remotely, but it want's to change the display
> settings on the system I'm using to reach it.

> So, I can ssh -X to run graphical apps, but I can't use the keyboard &
> monitor attached to that computer.

Seems like maybe you selected a headless server installation.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: Can't install 13.1 on Netfinity server

Rajko M.
On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 21:17:59 -0500
James Knott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't even see anywhere I can do that.

When you see Grub menu select line that you want to change and press
'e'. That will bring up edit mode where you can add parameters.

--
Regards, Rajko.

Rajko wrote:
>> I don't even see anywhere I can do that.
> When you see Grub menu select line that you want to change and press
> 'e'. That will bring up edit mode where you can add parameters.

As I mentioned earleir, I don't even see that.

Felix Miata wrote:

> On 2013-11-21 22:05 (GMT-0500) James Knott composed:
>
>> James Knott wrote:
>
>>> I was finally able to get in.  I used ssh -X to root and can run yast2.
>>> It says "S3 Savage 4" display controller.
>
> That sounds like something at least 15 years old. Any chance to stick
> anything newer in it? Did xf86-video-savage get installed? Sounds like
> something that may require nomodeset on cmdline for video to work.

I bought the server used about 10 years ago.
> Did all the basic xf86-input-mouse/keyboard drivers get properly
> installed?

Both the Savage and kybd/mouse drivers are installed.

> Seems like maybe you selected a headless server installation.

I wouldn't even know how to to that, though the BIOS supports operating
without keyboard.  I have another computer, which I use as my firewall
which was installed without a desktop.