Can't connect to wireless network

Bugzilla from mmtsales@gmail.com
Hi, folks

I'm new to OpenSuSE (coming from Fedora) and I can't connect to wireless
networks using NetworkManager/KNetworkManager.
I can see my wireless network and configure a connection, but
KNetworkManager does not even try to connect to it when I click the
connection. I mean, KNetworkManager icon in the plasma panel remains as
the little globe and does not change to the spinning gear that should
appear when it's trying to connect. It works ok for wired network.
My wireless card is an intel 3945 and its firmware is installed. Is
there anything else I should check?
By the way, KNetworkManager didn't ask me to use KWallet to save the
password when I created the connection, but the password is saved
somewhere. Where? Can't it use KWallet?

Thanks,

Marcelo

Re: Can't connect to wireless network

gregfreemyer
On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Marcelo Magno T. Sales
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, folks
>
> I'm new to OpenSuSE (coming from Fedora) and I can't connect to wireless
> networks using NetworkManager/KNetworkManager.
> I can see my wireless network and configure a connection, but
> KNetworkManager does not even try to connect to it when I click the
> connection. I mean, KNetworkManager icon in the plasma panel remains as
> the little globe and does not change to the spinning gear that should
> appear when it's trying to connect. It works ok for wired network.
> My wireless card is an intel 3945 and its firmware is installed. Is
> there anything else I should check?

Does HAL have any comments about your card?

http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/Network_Adapters_(Wireless)

Greg

Em Ter 24 Fev 2009, Greg Freemyer escreveu:

> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Marcelo Magno T. Sales
>
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi, folks
> >
> > I'm new to OpenSuSE (coming from Fedora) and I can't connect to
> > wireless networks using NetworkManager/KNetworkManager.
> > I can see my wireless network and configure a connection, but
> > KNetworkManager does not even try to connect to it when I click the
> > connection. I mean, KNetworkManager icon in the plasma panel
> > remains as the little globe and does not change to the spinning
> > gear that should appear when it's trying to connect. It works ok
> > for wired network. My wireless card is an intel 3945 and its
> > firmware is installed. Is there anything else I should check?
>
> Does HAL have any comments about your card?
>
> http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/Network_Adapters_(Wireless)

Thanks for this link. Yes, someone reported there that it worked out of
the box after a default install. And I think the card is working ok,
because I can see the networks around me and their signal strength.
However, KNetworkManager does not try to connect to the networks, even
if I tell it to.

Thanks,

Marcelo

Re: Can't connect to wireless network

Pete Connolly
On Tuesday 24 Feb 2009 19:07:59 Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:

> Em Ter 24 Fev 2009, Greg Freemyer escreveu:
> > Does HAL have any comments about your card?
> >
> > http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/Network_Adapters_(Wireless)
>
> Thanks for this link. Yes, someone reported there that it worked out of
> the box after a default install. And I think the card is working ok,
> because I can see the networks around me and their signal strength.
> However, KNetworkManager does not try to connect to the networks, even
> if I tell it to.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcelo

Hi Marcelo

I'd start by looking in the log file /var/log/NetworkManager (note, this is
case sensitive).  Can you try a connect to your access point  then see if
there's anything in there that might show us the root cause of the problem?

Thanks

Pete

Re: Can't connect to wireless network

Will Stephenson-2
On Tuesday 24 February 2009 21:06:00 Pete Connolly wrote:
> I'd start by looking in the log file /var/log/NetworkManager (note, this is
> case sensitive). Can you try a connect to your access point then see if
> there's anything in there that might show us the root cause of the problem?

I've added the following troubleshooting guide that might help Marcelo find the root cause: http://userbase.kde.org/NetworkManagement

Will

Re: Can't connect to wireless network

Nkoli
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, folks
>
> I'm new to OpenSuSE (coming from Fedora) and I can't connect to wireless
> networks using NetworkManager/KNetworkManager.
> I can see my wireless network and configure a connection, but
> KNetworkManager does not even try to connect to it when I click the
> connection. I mean, KNetworkManager icon in the plasma panel remains as
> the little globe and does not change to the spinning gear that should
> appear when it's trying to connect. It works ok for wired network.
> My wireless card is an intel 3945 and its firmware is installed. Is
> there anything else I should check?
> By the way, KNetworkManager didn't ask me to use KWallet to save the
> password when I created the connection, but the password is saved
> somewhere. Where? Can't it use KWallet?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcelo

Networkmanager-kde and networkmanager-kde4 doesn't coexist very well -
network manager may not respond to user input if you have both
installed. Remove one version and you should be good.

Nkoli