Can't access USB flash drive

Paul Cornford
Hi list,

Ever since I reinstalled the operating system and switched to KDE 4.1.3 from
KDE 3.? yesterday I can no longer access my USB flash drive. It registers in
My Computer but when I click on it nothing happens. Right clicking doesn't
give me the mount option. As far as I know all the updates have been
installed.

My details are as follows:

OS: Linux 2.6.27.21-0.1-pae i686
Desktop: 4.1.3 (KDE 4.1.3) "release 4.10.4"

Any help is appreciated.

pcor.

Re: Can't access USB flash drive

Yang Bo
On Thursday 30 April 2009 19:00:30 Paul Cornford wrote:
> Right
> clicking doesn't give me the mount option. As far as I know all the updates
> have been installed.
>
> pcor.

Have you tried dolphin?  Newly inserted drives will be shown on the left side
of dolphin, you can mount it by just clicking on the icon.

Re: Can't access USB flash drive and no sound

Paul Cornford
On Thursday 30 April 2009 21:28:59 Yang Bo wrote:
> On Thursday 30 April 2009 19:00:30 Paul Cornford wrote:
> > Right
> > clicking doesn't give me the mount option. As far as I know all the
> > updates have been installed.
> >
> > pcor.

No I hadn't. But now that I have, you're right. Dolphin does give me access.
Thanks! But I have just found another problem: I have no sound. According to
yast my sound card (on board) is 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller.
Yast uses snd-hda-intel as the driver. But the test button gives me nothing.
Is there a workaround for this?

Regards,

pcor

On Thursday 30 April 2009 20:24:39 Paul Cornford wrote:

> No I hadn't. But now that I have, you're right. Dolphin does give me
> access. Thanks!

You're welcome.

> But I have just found another problem: I have no sound.
> According to yast my sound card (on board) is 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio
> Controller. Yast uses snd-hda-intel as the driver. But the test button
> gives me nothing. Is there a workaround for this?

Sorry I opened yast and could not find the test button in the audio module.
You May try the kde's 'Configure Desktop' >> 'Multimedia', it should list all
the devices configured. And you can try the test button(near the right bottom
of the window). For me, the analog part should be prefered(listed on the top
of the device list) to get sound for earphone. You can use the Prefer/Defer
button to change that.

Hope this would work.

Re: No sound

Paul Cornford
On Friday 01 May 2009 02:24:27 Yang Bo wrote:

> On Thursday 30 April 2009 20:24:39 Paul Cornford wrote:
> > No I hadn't. But now that I have, you're right. Dolphin does give me
> > access. Thanks!
>
> You're welcome.
>
> > But I have just found another problem: I have no sound.
> > According to yast my sound card (on board) is 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD
> > Audio Controller. Yast uses snd-hda-intel as the driver. But the test
> > button gives me nothing. Is there a workaround for this?
>
> Sorry I opened yast and could not find the test button in the audio module.
> You May try the kde's 'Configure Desktop' >> 'Multimedia', it should list
> all the devices configured. And you can try the test button(near the right
> bottom of the window). For me, the analog part should be prefered(listed on
> the top of the device list) to get sound for earphone. You can use the
> Prefer/Defer button to change that.

You appear to be using a different version of kde to me. I am using KDE 4.1.3
release 4.10.4 and the kde system settings dialog goes: System Settings ->
Computer Administration -> Sound. In the "Sound" window I simply have a split
pane consisting of a "Device Preference" window and an "Output Device
Preference for the 'Notifications' Category" window. There is no "Test" button
anywhere. The Prefer and Defer buttons are inactive and I did try this before
without success. When I go back into Yast I see that sound is still "Not
configured".

Regards,
pcor

Re: No sound

Yang Bo
On Friday 01 May 2009 20:15:30 Paul Cornford wrote:

> You appear to be using a different version of kde to me. I am using KDE
> 4.1.3 release 4.10.4 and the kde system settings dialog goes: System
> Settings -> Computer Administration -> Sound. In the "Sound" window I
> simply have a split pane consisting of a "Device Preference" window and an
> "Output Device Preference for the 'Notifications' Category" window. There
> is no "Test" button anywhere. The Prefer and Defer buttons are inactive and
> I did try this before without success.

Sorry, my fault. If yast has not configured you sound card correctly, there's
no way KDE can do this. I've missed the point.
I'm using KDE4.2.2.
Finally I find the secret test 'button' of the yast sound configure module.
Surprisingly, the test also does not work, I get no sould. But anything else
worked, amarok, mplayer...

>When I go back into Yast I see that
> sound is still "Not configured".

Under yast->sound, Select the "Not configured" device and hit the "Edit"
button. On the "Sound Card Configuration" window, select any of the three, and
hit next configured the card. I just deleted my own sound card configurations
and used yast to configure it. It worked, just a few clicks. You may try
delete it first and then edit.
--
Regards
Yang Bo

Re: firefox text boxes rendering as scroll bars.

Paul Cornford
On Friday 01 May 2009 23:25:30 Yang Bo wrote:

> Sorry, my fault. If yast has not configured you sound card correctly,
> there's no way KDE can do this. I've missed the point.
> I'm using KDE4.2.2.
> Finally I find the secret test 'button' of the yast sound configure module.
> Surprisingly, the test also does not work, I get no sould. But anything
> else worked, amarok, mplayer...
>
> >When I go back into Yast I see that
> > sound is still "Not configured".
>
> Under yast->sound, Select the "Not configured" device and hit the "Edit"
> button. On the "Sound Card Configuration" window, select any of the three,
> and hit next configured the card. I just deleted my own sound card
> configurations and used yast to configure it. It worked, just a few clicks.
> You may try delete it first and then edit.
> --
> Regards
> Yang Bo

Thanks Yang. That worked and I now have sound (played a youtube clip and it
worked) though the test button still gives nothing. But problems often come in
three's and my third problem which I have just discovered (and I hope my last
for a while) is that when I try logging into vmware using firefox the text
boxes are coming up as scroll bars (!). I tried upgrading firefox but it has
made no difference. I can log in by treating them as text boxes (!) but the
input is not visible.

Regards,

pcor

Re: firefox text boxes rendering as scroll bars.

Pete Connolly
On Friday 01 May 2009 15:30:36 Paul Cornford wrote:

> Thanks Yang. That worked and I now have sound (played a youtube clip and it
> worked) though the test button still gives nothing. But problems often come
in
> three's and my third problem which I have just discovered (and I hope my
last
> for a while) is that when I try logging into vmware using firefox the text
> boxes are coming up as scroll bars (!). I tried upgrading firefox but it has
> made no difference. I can log in by treating them as text boxes (!) but the
> input is not visible.
>
> Regards,
>
> pcor

Hi Paul

Does this help?  At the bash prompt type:

VMWARE_USE_SHIPPED_GTK=TRUE firefox &

This has solved some problems for me in the past with Firefox and the VMWare 2
admin web pages.

Cheers

Pete

On Friday 01 May 2009 22:30:36 Paul Cornford wrote:

> Thanks Yang. That worked and I now have sound (played a youtube clip and it
> worked) though the test button still gives nothing. But problems often come
> in three's and my third problem which I have just discovered (and I hope my
> last for a while) is that when I try logging into vmware using firefox the
> text boxes are coming up as scroll bars (!). I tried upgrading firefox but
> it has made no difference. I can log in by treating them as text boxes (!)
> but the input is not visible.

Sorry that I don't use vmware. But some googling gives me this:
For anyone else who has the problem. You need to clear your browser cache in
FF3.0.1. It's actually RC1 hosts that mess up the cache in FF3.0.1 and then
you won't be able to log into any of your systems. Sure glad I spent a whole
day working on this
from http://communities.vmware.com/thread/167486

Quoting Pete Connolly <[hidden email]>:

when I try logging into vmware using firefox
> the text boxes are coming up as scroll bars (!). I tried upgrading firefox
> but it has made no difference. I can log in by treating them as text
boxes (!)

> but the input is not visible.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > pcor
>
> Hi Paul
>
> Does this help?  At the bash prompt type:
>
> VMWARE_USE_SHIPPED_GTK=TRUE firefox &
>
> This has solved some problems for me in the past with Firefox and the
> VMWare 2 admin web pages.
>
> Cheers
>
> Pete

Thanks for the help but clearing the cache and trying the above has made
no difference.

Regards

pcor