Camtasia equivalent

Albert Oszkó
Hi all,

One of my colleagues occasionally sends me fine videos about the usage
of a special software. I asked him what did he use and he sent me
http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia/
It is a screen recording and editing software. Can you suggest something
similar that can be used in openSUSE?

Thanks: OszkoA

oszko.vcf (278 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Camtasia equivalent

C-29
2011/10/24 Oszkó Albert <[hidden email]>:
> Hi all,
>
> One of my colleagues occasionally sends me fine videos about the usage of a
> special software. I asked him what did he use and he sent me
> http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia/
> It is a screen recording and editing software. Can you suggest something
> similar that can be used in openSUSE?

There is no all in one package that I've seen that does what Camtasia
does.  There are some tools available though....

RecordMyDesktop is pretty decent (with both a GTK and QT front end)
for recording screen casts.  It's in the repos for openSUSE... see
http://recordmydesktop.sourceforge.net/about.php for details.  I've
used it on a few occasions, and it did a very good job of recording
what was happening on screen.

LiVES is a pretty complete video editing app that you can use for post
processing if the output form RecordMyDesktop needs cleanup or
editing... http://lives.sourceforge.net/  This is also in the repos.

Another alternative for post processing and frame by frame video
editing is Cinelera http://cinelerra.org I haven't used this one, so
can't really do much other than point at it.

Re: Camtasia equivalent

Robert Schweikert-6

On 10/24/2011 09:13 AM, Oszkó Albert wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> One of my colleagues occasionally sends me fine videos about the usage
> of a special software. I asked him what did he use and he sent me
> http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia/

You might start your search here:

http://tuxarena.blogspot.com/2009/05/3-ways-to-record-your-linux-desktop.html

# zypper se record

reveals that we have packages for recordMyDesktop

HTH,
Robert

--
Robert Schweikert                           MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU
SUSE-IBM Software Integration Center                   LINUX

Re: Camtasia equivalent

Albert Oszkó

> On 10/24/2011 09:13 AM, Oszkó Albert wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> One of my colleagues occasionally sends me fine videos about the usage
>> of a special software. I asked him what did he use and he sent me
>> http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia/
>
> You might start your search here:
>
> http://tuxarena.blogspot.com/2009/05/3-ways-to-record-your-linux-desktop.html
>

> # zypper se record
>
> reveals that we have packages for recordMyDesktop
>
> HTH,
> Robert

Thanks, I will give them a try

Regards,
OszkoA

oszko.vcf (278 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Camtasia equivalent

Carl Hartung-2
On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 15:13:46 +0200
Oszkó Albert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> One of my colleagues occasionally sends me fine videos about the
> usage of a special software. I asked him what did he use and he sent
> me http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia/
> It is a screen recording and editing software. Can you suggest
> something similar that can be used in openSUSE?
>
> Thanks: OszkoA

Hi OszkoA,

For capturing: I use 'XVidCap Screen Capture' (/usr/bin/xvidcap) for
desktop / screen recording and 'padsp' (/usr/bin/padsp, provided by
pulseaudio-utils) to capture system audio. They're launched via
commandline as "user@linux:~> padsp xvidcap &" Flexible and easy.

For modest editing, I use kino (save often) :-) and, for more
complex edits and effects, Cinelerra.

hth & regards,

Carl

Re: Camtasia equivalent

Adam Tauno Williams
On Mon, 2011-10-24 at 15:22 +0200, C wrote:

> 2011/10/24 Oszkó Albert <[hidden email]>:
> > Hi all
> > One of my colleagues occasionally sends me fine videos about the usage of a
> > special software. I asked him what did he use and he sent me
> > http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia/
> > It is a screen recording and editing software. Can you suggest something
> > similar that can be used in openSUSE?
> RecordMyDesktop is pretty decent (with both a GTK and QT front end)
> for recording screen casts.  It's in the repos for openSUSE... see
> http://recordmydesktop.sourceforge.net/about.php for details.  I've
> used it on a few occasions, and it did a very good job of recording
> what was happening on screen.

Screen 'cast' recording is an integrated feature in GNOME 3.