Call for Translations

Sarah Julia Kriesch
Dear Translators,

Thanks for your contributions for openSUSE Leap 42.3 last year!
You received the message by SUSE, that they want to translate SLE 15 without locking files together with us.
That's fantastic.

openSUSE Leap 15.0 will be released in May. So we should start with translations again.
I have seen most of you started with the "Call for Translations" by SUSE. Thanks for your high motivation.
Continue, please!

A really good information for you and thanks for your contributions in the last months:
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Localization_status is showing us that we are well on schedule!
If you are finished with translations, it is really welcome to start with reviewing and testing.

So let's translate and bring openSUSE Leap 15.0 forward.
Thanks!

Best regards,
Sarah

Re: Call for Translations

Vojtěch Zeisek-2
Hello

Dne středa 21. února 2018 10:42:34 CET, Sarah Julia Kriesch napsal(a):
> openSUSE Leap 15.0 will be released in May. So we should start with
> translations again. I have seen most of you started with the "Call for
> Translations" by SUSE. Thanks for your high motivation. Continue, please!
>
> A really good information for you and thanks for your contributions in the
> last months: https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Localization_status is
> showing us that we are well on schedule! If you are finished with
> translations, it is really welcome to start with reviewing and testing.

May I ask about for the schedule? https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Roadmap is
not very informative in this aspect... Specifically, what is the deadline for
translations?
Are there any important fixed milestone dates we should be aware of? I do the
translations in my spare free time and I'd like to have some overview about
the time scale.
And what is the current state of work of paid translators? Are they still
continuing to work? If so, how long are they going to be working together with
us? Originally they were announced to work only for short time, but I saw
their activity recently in the Czech version. It is good, more strings will be
translated, but again, I'd like to have more information about the timing...

--
Vojtěch Zeisek
https://trapa.cz/

Re: Call for Translations

Vojtěch Zeisek-2
Thank You for the information.

Dne sobota 24. února 2018 19:53:01 CET, Sarah Julia Kriesch napsal(a):
> > Gesendet: Freitag, 23. Februar 2018 um 09:05 Uhr
> >
> > May I ask about for the schedule? https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Roadmap
> > is not very informative in this aspect... Specifically, what is the
> > deadline for translations?
>
> that will be a release triggered by the community at the openSUSE Conference
> in Prague. https://events.opensuse.org/

It reminds me to register - it won't be closer. :-)

> Our Leap Release Manager will ask us there whether we want to release on
> this conference day or later. If we need fixes in Translations or anywhere
> else, he wants to wait some days. So the release day will be in our
> (community) hands this year. ;)
>
> The earliest possible release day is the May 25.

I ask because for previous releases there was some given deadline for
incorporation of translations into the distribution.

> > Are there any important fixed milestone dates we should be aware of? I do
> > the translations in my spare free time and I'd like to have some overview
> > about the time scale.
>
> We have the beta phase now. So Leap is something like a rolling release
> until the release day at the moment. You can test it whether all is
> correct. Translations are updated continiuously.

I use TW, sure, I see new strings. I'm wondering what is the latest day I can
submit new translation, which will be in Leap 15...

> > And what is the current state of work of paid translators? Are they still
> > continuing to work? If so, how long are they going to be working together
> > with us? Originally they were announced to work only for short time, but
> > I saw their activity recently in the Czech version. It is good, more
> > strings will be translated, but again, I'd like to have more information
> > about the timing...
> They are translating all needed for SLE. They have their own 15 release
> parallel to Leap (a little bit earlier). SLE Translators are testing and
> receiving bugs, too. So it can happen, that you can watch them on Weblate
> for a longer time.
OK, it makes sense. Good news, in principle.

--
Vojtěch Zeisek

Komunita openSUSE GNU/Linuxu
Community of the openSUSE GNU/Linux

https://www.opensuse.org/
https://trapa.cz/

Re: Call for Translations

Ludwig Nussel
Vojtěch Zeisek wrote:

> Dne středa 21. února 2018 10:42:34 CET, Sarah Julia Kriesch napsal(a):
>> openSUSE Leap 15.0 will be released in May. So we should start with
>> translations again. I have seen most of you started with the "Call for
>> Translations" by SUSE. Thanks for your high motivation. Continue, please!
>>
>> A really good information for you and thanks for your contributions in the
>> last months: https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Localization_status is
>> showing us that we are well on schedule! If you are finished with
>> translations, it is really welcome to start with reviewing and testing.
>
> May I ask about for the schedule? https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Roadmap is
> not very informative in this aspect... Specifically, what is the deadline for
> translations?

Depends on what to translate. Generally infrastructure works basically
all the time. openSUSE package related things have no real deadline but
to make sure packages actually get in I'd say better finish the
important bits by first week of May. Core SLE is beeing translated right
now AFAIK.

> Are there any important fixed milestone dates we should be aware of? I do the
> translations in my spare free time and I'd like to have some overview about
> the time scale.

As Sarah said, the development is rolling so no specific milestones.
Updates of packages usually do not happen automatically though. Someone
has to actually submit them (like desktop translations). So would be
good if someone takes care of that.

> And what is the current state of work of paid translators? Are they still
> continuing to work? If so, how long are they going to be working together with
> us? Originally they were announced to work only for short time, but I saw
> their activity recently in the Czech version. It is good, more strings will be
> translated, but again, I'd like to have more information about the timing...

Maybe something Stanislav can answer.

cu
Ludwig

--