CPU-Z For Linux?

Re: CPU-Z For Linux?

Randall Schulz
On Thursday 02 November 2006 17:13, M Harris wrote:

> (I trust this is at least a little constructive, or at least
> constructively pedantic, or maybe pedantically instructive)  :-|

Not hardly. You're just flogging the dead horse of your jaded opinion of
graphical user interfaces.

Get a blog.

> M Harris     <><

RRS

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: CPU-Z For Linux?

M Harris-2
On Thursday 02 November 2006 18:27, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> > kai@sith:~> /proc/cpuinfo
> > bash: /proc/cpuinfo: Permission denied
>
>  - - -
>
> /proc/* are text files, not executables or scripts.
>
> even windoz will not run a file that does not have an 'executable'
> extension.  It doesn't even know what type a file is without an
> extension.
     ... and let's see...

     -r--r--r--  1 root root 0 2006-11-02 19:36 cpuinfo

     Oh... only read flags are showing... that means that no one my write to
it (except the kernel), and no one my execute it... NO ONE...

     But leave it to someone to try...    <sigh>

     But it looks like anyone can read it... let's see...

     cat /proc/cpuinfo

     Yup, that worked.

     Or, you can use the Suse tools I pedantically showed Randy earlier...

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: CPU-Z For Linux?

Ed McCanless
M Harris wrote:
> <CUT>
>
> (I trust this is at least a little constructive, or at least constructively
> pedantic, or maybe pedantically instructive)  :-|

Many thanks to Hans, Jim, and M Harris for trying so hard to please Randall.
This was the first post I got on this thread (the beginning hasn't got
here yet), so I was a little confused 'til I went to the archives for
the start.
I learned a lot here, whether Randall and Kai did or not.
I'm not sure I understand the question yet, but I found the answers
quite understandable and useful.

       Stay in good spirits (try some good spirits?),

                                              -- ED --

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: CPU-Z For Linux?

PerfectReign
On Thursday 02 November 2006 16:27, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> * Kai Ponte <[hidden email]> [11-02-06 19:21]:
>  - - -
>
> > I thought, I'd run cpuinfo, so I clicked Geeko>Run>/proc/cpuinfo and was
> > presented with the "what do you want me to use?" screen.
> >
> > I went to my CLI and typed the /proc/cpu info. I got the following:
> >
> > kai@sith:~> /proc/cpuinfo
> > bash: /proc/cpuinfo: Permission denied
>
>  - - -
>
> /proc/* are text files, not executables or scripts.

Ahh, so I had to do less /proc/cpuinfo:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 13
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.80GHz
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 600.000

That got me a bunch of info.

Understood.

> even windoz will not run a file that does not have an 'executable'
> extension.

Correct. I have dealt with that for years. :P

> It doesn't even know what type a file is without an
> extension.

Yes, people used to get mad at me when I'd rant about how HPFS had extended
attributes on OS/2 but not NT?  I complained all the way through version
5.1...

...but far be it for me to rock the boat.

Hmm, this information sounds like an expanded list of what is available under
My Computer as well as KInfoCenter.

Yup! All the information is in KInfoCenter.

Oh, there already IS a GUI for this stuff. :)

--
kai ponte
www.perfectreign.com

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: CPU-Z For Linux?

Peter Nikolic
On Friday 03 November 2006 00:18, Kai Ponte wrote:
> On Thursday 02 November 2006 15:28, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > On Thursday 02 November 2006 16:10, M Harris wrote:

> kai@sith:~> /proc/cpuinfo
> bash: /proc/cpuinfo: Permission denied
>
> Yup! That's useful.  I was bashed. (Whatever bashing is.)
>
> Being the l33t linux user, I thought I'd switch to super user, and got the
> following:
>
> sith:/home/kai # /proc/cpuinfo
> bash: /proc/cpuinfo: Permission denied
>
> Bashed again.
>
> I'll have to see if there's a need for this type of app - whatever cpuinfo
> does - in Linux. Might be an interesting project. :)
>
> --
> kai ponte
> www.perfectreign.com

Bieng as it is close to that darn con artists time of the  year   Bahhhhhhhhh
HUMBUG  "CLI"   IS King   ..
Pete .

On Thursday 02 November 2006 15:33, Randall R Schulz wrote:

> Hans,
>
> On Thursday 02 November 2006 15:24, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > On Thursday 02 November 2006 14:55, Hans du Plooy wrote:
> > >
> > > http://ezix.org/project/wiki/HardwareLiSter may also be of some
> > > help. Unpack it, just cd into the directory and type make - this
> > > will build the cli version.  Then cd into the src/gui dir, type
> > > make - this will build the gui version.
> >
> > That appears to be on the right track. I'll give it a try.
>
> Well, I give them A for effort, but on my system it displays almost
> no information at all...

I think Pascal must have been listening in. Guru's RPMs now has an RPM
of lshw version B.02.09 for SuSE Linux 10.0.

For what it's worth, it behaves identically to the one I built myself
(version B.02.08), which is to say it displays next to no information
in the GUI. The non-GUI version still dumps a ton of information to the
standard output.

Randall Schulz

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: CPU-Z For Linux?

Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC)
Kai Ponte wrote:
> On Thursday 02 November 2006 15:28, Randall R Schulz wrote:

<snip>

> I'll have to see if there's a need for this type of app - whatever cpuinfo
> does - in Linux. Might be an interesting project. :)
How about writing it the need up for CPU-Z on the SUSE Linux package
request page?
http://en.opensuse.org/Package_Wishlist

--
#!/bin/bash