CPU-Z For Linux?

Randall Schulz
Hi,

Can anyone put me on to a utility that gives detailed CPU information in
a manner (GUI) similar to CPU-Z?

For those not familiar with the Windows utility CPU-Z, see:

<http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php>

Thanks.

Randall Schulz

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: CPU-Z For Linux?

kj-12
On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 12:32 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone put me on to a utility that gives detailed CPU information in
> a manner (GUI) similar to CPU-Z?
>
> For those not familiar with the Windows utility CPU-Z, see:
>
> <http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php>

Just open a terminal and type:

cat /proc/cpuinfo

Hans

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: CPU-Z For Linux?

Randall Schulz
Hans,

On Thursday 02 November 2006 14:11, Hans du Plooy wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 12:32 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can anyone put me on to a utility that gives detailed CPU
> > information in a manner (GUI) similar to CPU-Z?
> >
> > For those not familiar with the Windows utility CPU-Z, see:
> >
> > <http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php>
>
> Just open a terminal and type:

"Open" a terminal? I have a minimum of 8 shells open in Konsole whenever
I'm logged in.

> cat /proc/cpuinfo

Two things:

1) I asked for a GUI. That's 'cause I want a GUI in this case.
2) /proc/cpuinfo does not appear to have as complete a set of
information as CPU-Z and most of what it has is encoded and
inscrutable.

> Hans

RRS

On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 14:28 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:

> > > Can anyone put me on to a utility that gives detailed CPU
> > > information in a manner (GUI) similar to CPU-Z?
> > >
> > > For those not familiar with the Windows utility CPU-Z, see:
> > >
> > > <http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php>
> >
> > Just open a terminal and type:
>
> 1) I asked for a GUI. That's 'cause I want a GUI in this case.
Sorry, I read like my behind.

> 2) /proc/cpuinfo does not appear to have as complete a set of
> information as CPU-Z and most of what it has is encoded and
> inscrutable.
I don't have Windows running anywhere to check what CPU-Z looks like,
last time I used it (several years ago) /proc/cpuinfo had more or less
the same stuff in.

What info are you looking for?

Hans

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: CPU-Z For Linux?

M Harris-2
On Thursday 02 November 2006 16:28, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> 1) I asked for a GUI. That's 'cause I want a GUI in this case.
     I'll send you a tcl/tk script (gui) that will parse the cpuinfo for you.

> 2) /proc/cpuinfo does not appear to have as complete a set of
> information as CPU-Z and most of what it has is encoded and
> inscrutable.
     Actually, it doesn't get much clearer than /proc/cpuinfo. But, I am
beginning to appreciate you Schulz...

     In Suse the name of the gui tool is called Monitor.

     Click the lizard (the start button)

     hover over system

     hover over Monitor

     click on whatever your heart desires... like... Processor

     (It will give you  /proc/cpuinfo,   gut you got there by gui by golly)

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: CPU-Z For Linux?

kj-12
On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 12:32 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone put me on to a utility that gives detailed CPU information in
> a manner (GUI) similar to CPU-Z?
>
> For those not familiar with the Windows utility CPU-Z, see:
>
> <http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php>

Yast --> Hardware --> Hardware Information gives a little bit more
information.

http://ezix.org/project/wiki/HardwareLiSter may also be of some help.
Unpack it, just cd into the directory and type make - this will build
the cli version.  Then cd into the src/gui dir, type make - this will
build the gui version.

Hans

On Thursday 02 November 2006 14:37, Hans du Plooy wrote:

> I don't have Windows running anywhere to check what CPU-Z looks like,
> last time I used it (several years ago) /proc/cpuinfo had more or
> less the same stuff in.

You can see a sample of one tab of the CPU-Z display here:

<http://www.cpuid.com/pics/IDF-3.jpg>

> What info are you looking for?

The info provided by CPU-Z presented in a manner similar to the way it's
presented in CPU-Z, which is to say decoded into human-readable form
and organized in a coherent GUI.

As I said.

On Thursday 02 November 2006 15:38, M Harris wrote:

>      (It will give you  /proc/cpuinfo,   gut you got there by gui by
> golly)

Hardly. That is indistinguishable from /proc/cpuinfo, as I'm sure you
know.

If you don't have anything constructive to add, you shouldn't feel
compelled to write.

RRS

On Thursday 02 November 2006 17:00, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> Hardly. That is indistinguishable from /proc/cpuinfo, as I'm sure you
> know.
>
> If you don't have anything constructive to add, you shouldn't feel
> compelled to write.
     Here is something constructive for you...

     Gui stands for Graphical User Interface. Everything on your desktop
(including your (8) open terminals) are gui. (all of it) So what are you
asking for... a pretty box that lights up with some silly animated blinking
cpu chip and background music that displays cute little fields that contain,
well, uh, basically,  /proc/cpuinfo ?!?
     I have a question for you ...  just curiosity...  what part
of /proc/cpuinfo do you not understand in human readable terms... since it is
all, well, perfectly human readable? What do you mean when you say that you
want to see the information in a ( gui )¿   I'm very serious about this.
     ?

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><

On Thursday 02 November 2006 14:55, Hans du Plooy wrote:

> http://ezix.org/project/wiki/HardwareLiSter may also be of some help.
> Unpack it, just cd into the directory and type make - this will build
> the cli version.  Then cd into the src/gui dir, type make - this will
> build the gui version.

That appears to be on the right track. I'll give it a try.

On Thursday 02 November 2006 16:10, M Harris wrote:

>      Gui stands for Graphical User Interface. Everything on your
> desktop (including your (8) open terminals) are gui. (all of it) So
> what are you asking for... a pretty box that lights up with some
> silly animated blinking cpu chip and background music that displays
> cute little fields that contain, well, uh, basically,  /proc/cpuinfo
> ?!?

In this context I don't think pedanticism is what's called for.

>      I have a question for you ...  just curiosity...  what part
> of /proc/cpuinfo do you not understand in human readable terms...
> since it is all, well, perfectly human readable? What do you mean
> when you say that you want to see the information in a ( gui )¿   I'm
> very serious about this. ?

OK. For starters, tell me what these mean:

% egrep flags /proc/cpuinfo
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx
lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx
lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm

Disparage GUIs all you want, sometimes they're the best way to present
information.

Furthermore, CPU-Z consolidates information about all sorts of hardware
characteristics, not merely CPU information. This is apparent from even
the one screen shot I referenced.

> --
> Kind regards,

Really? It hardly seems that way.

> M Harris     <><

RRS

On Thursday 02 November 2006 15:24, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> On Thursday 02 November 2006 14:55, Hans du Plooy wrote:
> >
> > http://ezix.org/project/wiki/HardwareLiSter may also be of some
> > help. Unpack it, just cd into the directory and type make - this
> > will build the cli version.  Then cd into the src/gui dir, type
> > make - this will build the gui version.
>
> That appears to be on the right track. I'll give it a try.

Well, I give them A for effort, but on my system it displays almost no
information at all. And yes, I ran it as root. There were no
compilation errors nor any diagnostic printed when I run it. Just a
long pause while "scanning..." followed by a display of the SMBIOS and
DMI version numbers (both coincidentally 2.4) and the system's "uuid"
string. The other information was generic, apparently placeholders used
when specific information isn't available. And then there were only
four slots.

On Thursday 02 November 2006 16:11, Hans du Plooy wrote:
> > For those not familiar with the Windows utility CPU-Z, see:
> >
> > <http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php>
>
> Just open a terminal and type:
>
> cat /proc/cpuinfo
     Check out   http://www.cpuid.com/index.php

     This will shed some light on the gui in question... in all seriousness
this is an excellent example of one of the many woes of windoze... what
should be readily accessible through a built-in utility must be provided (at
outrageous cost) by some third party proprietary, uh, gui (cute little text
fields on a boring grey windoze background, probably with background music).
     Never mind that the Linux kernel places the information (for free) in the
proc directory for anyone to browse in perfectly human readable form (common
text like all other proc output from the kernel) without additional cost or
license... or installation, or hassle.
     What some folks continue to ask is rather annoying... "Is there anything
to make Linux look and behave as rediculously as windoze?"

     (this probably isn't constructive, but oh well)

     (it doesn't matter, cause it isn't human readable)    ;-))

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><

On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 15:33 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> Well, I give them A for effort, but on my system it displays almost no
> information at all. And yes, I ran it as root. There were no
> compilation errors nor any diagnostic printed when I run it. Just a
> long pause while "scanning..." followed by a display of the SMBIOS and
> DMI version numbers (both coincidentally 2.4) and the system's "uuid"
> string. The other information was generic, apparently placeholders used
> when specific information isn't available. And then there were only
> four slots.

That's strange, it's usually incredibly detailed.

Hans

On Thursday 02 November 2006 15:39, Hans du Plooy wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 15:33 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > Well, I give them A for effort, but on my system it displays almost
> > no information at all. ...
>
> That's strange, it's usually incredibly detailed.

I shoule add that it's the same on both my stable 10.0 release as well
as on my 10.2b1 system (and of course I build it separately on each).

As time permits, I'll probably try looking into it a bit more, 'cause it
does seem like quite a worthwhile utility.

On Thursday 02 November 2006 17:28, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> OK. For starters, tell me what these mean:
>

> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx
> lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
     Your response indirectly begs the question... of all the human readable
output from /proc/cpuinfo (which is useful to you) flags does not include
information which is directly useful... but at least your question begins to
get to the specific points... so here we go...

</pedantic on>     [ fields left justified, explanations indented ]

processor       : 0
     One processor installed, the first processor (numbering is from 0)
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
     Intel built the cpu chip installed in this system
cpu family      : 6
     The processor is an i686 chip
model           : 13
     The processor model....
model name      : Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor         1.60GHz
     The processor name....  and freq (rounded)
stepping        : 8
     Frequency stepping... not something relevant to most users in any gui....
cpu MHz         : 1598.081
     The precise CPU operating frequency   just less than 1.6Ghz
cache size      : 1024 KB
     The cache size...  in kilobytes
fdiv_bug        : no
     Floating point division bug....   uh, nope....
hlt_bug         : no
     another hardware bug.... nope,
f00f_bug        : no
     another bug.... ,nope
coma_bug        : no
     and another bug....,  nope
fpu             : yes
     Floating Point Unit....   Yes
fpu_exception   : yes
     Floating Point Unit Exception Yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe nx
     There are those pesky little kernel/processor flags... which are not
relevant to ANYONE who has to use a third party gui.... or anyone who is not
a kernel developer...  or the just plain curious... like the kitties that got
killed by it....
bogomips        : 3199.39
     Bogus Millions of Instructions Per Second.... this is a relative measure
of how (relatively) fast the machine is.... although, as the name implies...
its well, bogus. My first Linux system had a bogomip reading of about 200
(486 DX 40, running RH5.2 2.0.36 kernel)

Get serious... all of the output fields from /proc/cpuinfo *could* be placed
into a "dialog box" with little text fields and an "OK" button. We could even
write the stupid thing (like most windoze utils) in C++ or C# and have it
take up oh... 4.5 meg or so... and give it an icon and place it in a folder
called "Expensive Useless Utilities" and charge people for it.... BUT WHY
WOULD WE WANT TO DO THAT. Windoze already does that. The Linux way is sweet,
simple, free (as in freedom), and relatively inexpensive (as in money).

</pedantic off>

(I trust this is at least a little constructive, or at least constructively
pedantic, or maybe pedantically instructive)  :-|

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: CPU-Z For Linux?

jim barnes-2
On Thursday 02 November 2006 16:28, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> OK. For starters, tell me what these mean:
>
> % egrep flags /proc/cpuinfo
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx
> lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm

jbarnes@shuttle:~$ cat /usr/include/asm-i386/cpufeature.h | grep ^'#define
X86_FEATURE_'
#define X86_FEATURE_FPU         (0*32+ 0) /* Onboard FPU */
#define X86_FEATURE_VME         (0*32+ 1) /* Virtual Mode Extensions */
#define X86_FEATURE_DE          (0*32+ 2) /* Debugging Extensions */
#define X86_FEATURE_PSE         (0*32+ 3) /* Page Size Extensions */
#define X86_FEATURE_TSC         (0*32+ 4) /* Time Stamp Counter */
#define X86_FEATURE_MSR         (0*32+ 5) /* Model-Specific Registers, RDMSR,
WRMSR */
#define X86_FEATURE_PAE         (0*32+ 6) /* Physical Address Extensions */
#define X86_FEATURE_MCE         (0*32+ 7) /* Machine Check Architecture */
#define X86_FEATURE_CX8         (0*32+ 8) /* CMPXCHG8 instruction */
#define X86_FEATURE_APIC        (0*32+ 9) /* Onboard APIC */
#define X86_FEATURE_SEP         (0*32+11) /* SYSENTER/SYSEXIT */
#define X86_FEATURE_MTRR        (0*32+12) /* Memory Type Range Registers */
#define X86_FEATURE_PGE         (0*32+13) /* Page Global Enable */
#define X86_FEATURE_MCA         (0*32+14) /* Machine Check Architecture */
#define X86_FEATURE_CMOV        (0*32+15) /* CMOV instruction (FCMOVCC and
FCOMI too if FPU present) */
#define X86_FEATURE_PAT         (0*32+16) /* Page Attribute Table */
#define X86_FEATURE_PSE36       (0*32+17) /* 36-bit PSEs */
#define X86_FEATURE_PN          (0*32+18) /* Processor serial number */
#define X86_FEATURE_CLFLSH      (0*32+19) /* Supports the CLFLUSH instruction
*/
#define X86_FEATURE_DTES        (0*32+21) /* Debug Trace Store */
#define X86_FEATURE_ACPI        (0*32+22) /* ACPI via MSR */
#define X86_FEATURE_MMX         (0*32+23) /* Multimedia Extensions */
#define X86_FEATURE_FXSR        (0*32+24) /* FXSAVE and FXRSTOR instructions
(fast save and restore */
#define X86_FEATURE_XMM         (0*32+25) /* Streaming SIMD Extensions */
#define X86_FEATURE_XMM2        (0*32+26) /* Streaming SIMD Extensions-2 */
#define X86_FEATURE_SELFSNOOP   (0*32+27) /* CPU self snoop */
#define X86_FEATURE_HT          (0*32+28) /* Hyper-Threading */
#define X86_FEATURE_ACC         (0*32+29) /* Automatic clock control */
#define X86_FEATURE_IA64        (0*32+30) /* IA-64 processor */
#define X86_FEATURE_SYSCALL     (1*32+11) /* SYSCALL/SYSRET */
#define X86_FEATURE_MP          (1*32+19) /* MP Capable. */
#define X86_FEATURE_NX          (1*32+20) /* Execute Disable */
#define X86_FEATURE_MMXEXT      (1*32+22) /* AMD MMX extensions */
#define X86_FEATURE_LM          (1*32+29) /* Long Mode (x86-64) */
#define X86_FEATURE_3DNOWEXT    (1*32+30) /* AMD 3DNow! extensions */
#define X86_FEATURE_3DNOW       (1*32+31) /* 3DNow! */
#define X86_FEATURE_RECOVERY    (2*32+ 0) /* CPU in recovery mode */
#define X86_FEATURE_LONGRUN     (2*32+ 1) /* Longrun power control */
#define X86_FEATURE_LRTI        (2*32+ 3) /* LongRun table interface */
#define X86_FEATURE_CXMMX       (3*32+ 0) /* Cyrix MMX extensions */
#define X86_FEATURE_K6_MTRR     (3*32+ 1) /* AMD K6 nonstandard MTRRs */
#define X86_FEATURE_CYRIX_ARR   (3*32+ 2) /* Cyrix ARRs (= MTRRs) */
#define X86_FEATURE_CENTAUR_MCR (3*32+ 3) /* Centaur MCRs (= MTRRs) */
#define X86_FEATURE_K8          (3*32+ 4) /* Opteron, Athlon64 */
#define X86_FEATURE_K7          (3*32+ 5) /* Athlon */
#define X86_FEATURE_P3          (3*32+ 6) /* P3 */
#define X86_FEATURE_P4          (3*32+ 7) /* P4 */
#define X86_FEATURE_XMM3        (4*32+ 0) /* Streaming SIMD Extensions-3 */
#define X86_FEATURE_MWAIT       (4*32+ 3) /* Monitor/Mwait support */
#define X86_FEATURE_DSCPL       (4*32+ 4) /* CPL Qualified Debug Store */
#define X86_FEATURE_EST         (4*32+ 7) /* Enhanced SpeedStep */
#define X86_FEATURE_TM2         (4*32+ 8) /* Thermal Monitor 2 */
#define X86_FEATURE_CID         (4*32+10) /* Context ID */
#define X86_FEATURE_CX16        (4*32+13) /* CMPXCHG16B */
#define X86_FEATURE_XTPR        (4*32+14) /* Send Task Priority Messages */
#define X86_FEATURE_XSTORE      (5*32+ 2) /* on-CPU RNG present (xstore insn)
*/
#define X86_FEATURE_XSTORE_EN   (5*32+ 3) /* on-CPU RNG enabled */
#define X86_FEATURE_XCRYPT      (5*32+ 6) /* on-CPU crypto (xcrypt insn) */
#define X86_FEATURE_XCRYPT_EN   (5*32+ 7) /* on-CPU crypto enabled */
#define X86_FEATURE_LAHF_LM     (5*32+ 0) /* LAHF/SAHF in long mode */
#define X86_FEATURE_CMP_LEGACY  (5*32+ 1) /* If yes HyperThreading not valid
*/

HTH,
--
Jim Barnes
--

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: CPU-Z For Linux?

PerfectReign
On Thursday 02 November 2006 15:28, Randall R Schulz wrote:

> On Thursday 02 November 2006 16:10, M Harris wrote:
> >
> >      Gui stands for Graphical User Interface. Everything on your
> > desktop (including your (8) open terminals) are gui. (all of it) So
> > what are you asking for... a pretty box that lights up with some
> > silly animated blinking cpu chip and background music that displays
> > cute little fields that contain, well, uh, basically,  /proc/cpuinfo
> > ?!?
>
> In this context I don't think pedanticism is what's called for.

LOL!

> >      I have a question for you ...  just curiosity...  what part
> > of /proc/cpuinfo do you not understand in human readable terms...
> > since it is all, well, perfectly human readable? What do you mean
> > when you say that you want to see the information in a ( gui )¿   I'm
> > very serious about this. ?
>
> OK. For starters, tell me what these mean:
>
> % egrep flags /proc/cpuinfo
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx
> lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx
> lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
>

> Disparage GUIs all you want, sometimes they're the best way to present
> information.
>
> Furthermore, CPU-Z consolidates information about all sorts of hardware
> characteristics, not merely CPU information. This is apparent from even
> the one screen shot I referenced.

Well stated, Randall.  I firmly believe there should be a GUI for everything,
whether or not the CLI purists out there want one. I think the beauty of
Linux is not being forced to do things one way, but allowing those with
different opinions to "have it their way".  (Of course, the GIMP folks would
disagree with me on that item.)

I never used CPU-Z, but I googled it and I can see it has a decently presented
easy-to-understand MDI interface with all functions well-labeled. It appears
similar - but more advanced to KInfoCenter.

I thought, I'd run cpuinfo, so I clicked Geeko>Run>/proc/cpuinfo and was
presented with the "what do you want me to use?" screen.

I went to my CLI and typed the /proc/cpu info. I got the following:

kai@sith:~> /proc/cpuinfo
bash: /proc/cpuinfo: Permission denied

Yup! That's useful.  I was bashed. (Whatever bashing is.)

Being the l33t linux user, I thought I'd switch to super user, and got the
following:

sith:/home/kai # /proc/cpuinfo
bash: /proc/cpuinfo: Permission denied

Bashed again.

I'll have to see if there's a need for this type of app - whatever cpuinfo
does - in Linux. Might be an interesting project. :)

--
kai ponte
www.perfectreign.com

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: CPU-Z For Linux?

Patrick Shanahan
* Kai Ponte <[hidden email]> [11-02-06 19:21]:
 - - -
> I thought, I'd run cpuinfo, so I clicked Geeko>Run>/proc/cpuinfo and was
> presented with the "what do you want me to use?" screen.
>
> I went to my CLI and typed the /proc/cpu info. I got the following:
>
> kai@sith:~> /proc/cpuinfo
> bash: /proc/cpuinfo: Permission denied
 - - -

/proc/* are text files, not executables or scripts.

even windoz will not run a file that does not have an 'executable'
extension.  It doesn't even know what type a file is without an
extension.

--
Patrick Shanahan                        Registered Linux User #207535
http://wahoo.no-ip.org                        @ http://counter.li.org

On Thursday 02 November 2006 16:13, jim barnes wrote:

> On Thursday 02 November 2006 16:28, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > OK. For starters, tell me what these mean:
> >
> > % egrep flags /proc/cpuinfo
> > flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr
> > pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
> > pbe nx lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 cx16 xtpr
> > lahf_lm
>
> jbarnes@shuttle:~$ cat /usr/include/asm-i386/cpufeature.h
> | grep^'#define X86_FEATURE_'

I can't believe you think this is a way to find out information about
your hardware.

RRS

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]