CAnt burn iso dvd's

Richard Atcheson-3
I'm using Opensuse 11.0 w/ KDE3 on  a Dell Inspiron 1545.........I've tried to
burn a bootable iso dvd using k3b and Tkdvd without success. The iso is
burned but will not boot. I tried several different dvd iso's but none will
boot.  I can burn data dvds and have successfully burned bootable iso and
data cd's using the same writer and K3b.

Has anyone else had a similar problem  or know of a cure?

I checked the k3b lists and others with no luck so far.

Richard

Re: CAnt burn iso dvd's

Ken Schneider - openSUSE
Richard Atcheson pecked at the keyboard and wrote:

> I'm using Opensuse 11.0 w/ KDE3 on  a Dell Inspiron 1545.........I've tried to
> burn a bootable iso dvd using k3b and Tkdvd without success. The iso is
> burned but will not boot. I tried several different dvd iso's but none will
> boot.  I can burn data dvds and have successfully burned bootable iso and
> data cd's using the same writer and K3b.
>
> Has anyone else had a similar problem  or know of a cure?
>
> I checked the k3b lists and others with no luck so far.
>
> Richard

You are burning it a iso right? and not simply burning the file to disk??

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998

Re: CAnt burn iso dvd's

Richard Atcheson-3
On Monday 20 April 2009 10:36:31 pm Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
> You are burning it a iso right? and not simply burning the file to disk??

Yes.   I've tried several different iso's such as Ubuntu, Knoppix.  Cd iso's
will burn ok and be bootable.  The dvd's burn but are not bootable.
Richard

Re: CAnt burn iso dvd's

Richard Atcheson-3
On Monday 20 April 2009 10:36:31 pm Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
> You are burning it a iso right? and not simply burning the file to disk??

Yes sir, it is an iso.  And all is written to the dvd but it wont boot.  Am in
the process of checking the programs used by k3b against one that works.
Richard

Re: CAnt burn iso dvd's

John Andersen-2
Richard Atcheson wrote:
> On Monday 20 April 2009 10:36:31 pm Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
>> You are burning it a iso right? and not simply burning the file to disk??
>
> Yes sir, it is an iso.  And all is written to the dvd but it wont boot.  Am in
> the process of checking the programs used by k3b against one that works.
> Richard

Regardless of whether it will boot or not, when you stick it in a drive
of a running Linux machine (or even windows) can you see a directory structure
on the CD or do you see a single file with an extension of .iso???

Re: CAnt burn iso dvd's

Jim Henderson-4
On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 15:57:49 -0500, Richard Atcheson wrote:

> On Monday 20 April 2009 10:36:31 pm Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
>> You are burning it a iso right? and not simply burning the file to
>> disk??
>
> Yes sir, it is an iso.  And all is written to the dvd but it wont boot.
> Am in the process of checking the programs used by k3b against one that
> works. Richard

If it's burning the data, try dropping the burn speed to 1x - I've read
several suggestions in other venues that say that if you burn unreadable
or unbootable discs, sometimes it's a media problem that can be corrected
with a lower burn speed.

Jim

--
 Jim Henderson

Re: Re: CAnt burn iso dvd's

Re: Re: CAnt burn iso dvd's

David Bolt-5
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009, Carlos E. R. wrote:-

>On Tuesday, 2009-04-21 at 22:32 -0000, Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> If it's burning the data, try dropping the burn speed to 1x - I've read
>> several suggestions in other venues that say that if you burn unreadable
>> or unbootable discs, sometimes it's a media problem that can be corrected
>> with a lower burn speed.
>
>You can't really burn high speed DVD media at very low speed, it is in
>fact different media (x1 or x2). Normally the burner will ignore the
>command to burn at x1 or give an error and refuse.

I've found that unless the media supports slow burn speeds, e.g. 2.4x
+RW/+RDL or 2x -RW, the drive won't go below 4x[0] to burn them.

[0] Or 6x in the case of some 16x media I used a while ago.

Regards,
        David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: http://www.distributed.net/ OGR-NG @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~1Mkeys/s
openSUSE 10.3 32b | openSUSE 11.0 32b |                   |

Re: CAnt burn iso dvd's

Jim Henderson-4
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 00:52:25 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On Tuesday, 2009-04-21 at 22:32 -0000, Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> If it's burning the data, try dropping the burn speed to 1x - I've read
>> several suggestions in other venues that say that if you burn
>> unreadable or unbootable discs, sometimes it's a media problem that can
>> be corrected with a lower burn speed.
>
> You can't really burn high speed DVD media at very low speed, it is in
> fact different media (x1 or x2). Normally the burner will ignore the
> command to burn at x1 or give an error and refuse.

Interesting, I see this recommendation quite frequently around the 'net.

Jim

--
 Jim Henderson

Re: CAnt burn iso dvd's

Jim Henderson-4
On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 23:32:24 +0000, Jim Henderson wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 00:52:25 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

>> On Tuesday, 2009-04-21 at 22:32 -0000, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>
>>> If it's burning the data, try dropping the burn speed to 1x - I've
>>> read several suggestions in other venues that say that if you burn
>>> unreadable or unbootable discs, sometimes it's a media problem that
>>> can be corrected with a lower burn speed.
>>
>> You can't really burn high speed DVD media at very low speed, it is in
>> fact different media (x1 or x2). Normally the burner will ignore the
>> command to burn at x1 or give an error and refuse.
>
> Interesting, I see this recommendation quite frequently around the 'net.

I suppose I could rephrase as "burn at the lowest speed the media will
let you"... :-)

Jim

--
 Jim Henderson

Re: Re: CAnt burn iso dvd's

Re: CAnt burn iso dvd's

jdd@dodin.org
Jim Henderson a écrit :

> I suppose I could rephrase as "burn at the lowest speed the media will
> let you"... :-)

I just read an official lab test saying the best speed is 16x

(french, so wy I don't give the link, I can send it if you want)

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org

Re: CAnt burn iso dvd's

G T Smith

Re: Re: CAnt burn iso dvd's

Re: CAnt burn iso dvd's

Re: CAnt burn iso dvd's

jdd@dodin.org
Carlos E. R. a écrit :

> I can read it with some dificulty. Surely some others can do better. No
> real reason not to post the link, with a warning :-)

you get it :-). Lot of official reports, not fancy :-)

http://www.archivesdefrance.culture.gouv.fr/gerer/archives-electroniques/stockage/

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org

Re: Re: CAnt burn iso dvd's

Karl Sinn
 > I just read an official lab test saying the best speed is 16x

 euh...

 I just had a look at this labtest following your link:
 http://www.archivesdefrance.culture.gouv.fr/static/2140

 They recommend writing speed 8x, but the test result clearly says that the
 best writing quality is achieved at 4x.

 see page17 "notes moyennes..."

 Where did you find the information that the best writing speed is 16x?

 Karl

Re: Re: CAnt burn iso dvd's

Re: CAnt burn iso dvd's

Karl Sinn

Am Mittwoch, 22. April 2009 10:20:01 schrieb G T Smith:

> For burning use
>
> growisofs -dvd-compat -Z <device name>=<iso source>

Can you tell me what makes growisofs better than wodim?

Thanks
Karl

Re: CAnt burn iso dvd's

jdd@dodin.org
Karl Sinn a écrit :

>  > I just read an official lab test saying the best speed is 16x
>
>  euh...
>
>  I just had a look at this labtest following your link:
>  http://www.archivesdefrance.culture.gouv.fr/static/2140
>
>  They recommend writing speed 8x, but the test result clearly says that the
>  best writing quality is achieved at 4x.
>
>  see page17 "notes moyennes..."
>
>  Where did you find the information that the best writing speed is 16x?
>
>  Karl
Les deux modèles de CD-R présentent une bonne adaptabilité à
différents graveurs et peuvent
être gravés indifféremment avec l’un ou l’autre de ces deux graveurs.
La vitesse de gravure recommandée est de 16X. Elle ne doit pas être
exagérément réduite car il
a été constaté une diminution de qualité aux vitesses de gravure
faibles (4X par exemple).

http://www.archivesdefrance.culture.gouv.fr/static/2415
p9

may be it's for cd's