Building virtualbox-guest-tools for SLES12: error during loading of kernel-modules

Building virtualbox-guest-tools for SLES12: error during loading of kernel-modules

Johannes Kastl-2
Hello guys,

I found no package for the virtualbox guest-tools for SLES12, so I
decided to try and build it. I took the leap 42.3 virtualbox package
and tried to get it to build the tools only.

With some fumbling I got it to build:
home:ojkastl_buildservice:Virtualbox_guest-tools_SLES12

I tried installing the packages (I am just after the no-X11-tools),
which worked.

to wrong kernel version (or maybe not):

> # modprobe --allow-unsupported vboxsf
> modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'vboxsf': Numerical result out of range

Same with vboxguest.ko. Same on SP3, SP2 and SP1. As this is the first
kmp package I am building, I am puzzled.

The error might be due to the fact that the modules are built for
kernel 4.4.73, while the machine run 4.4.92. But if I understand the
weak-updates links correctly, this should not matter.

Or did I build a wrong architecture by disabling the requirements for
gcc-32bit and xorg*-32bit (which was the only way I got the package to
build, as the guest-tools-x11 needs x11 dependencies obviously).

If anyone has a hint or RTFM or can have a look at the spec, this
would be highly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Johannes

Re: Building virtualbox-guest-tools for SLES12: error during loading of kernel-modules

Andrei Borzenkov
18.11.2017 23:18, Johannes Kastl пишет:

> Hello guys,
>
> I found no package for the virtualbox guest-tools for SLES12, so I
> decided to try and build it. I took the leap 42.3 virtualbox package
> and tried to get it to build the tools only.
>
> With some fumbling I got it to build:
> home:ojkastl_buildservice:Virtualbox_guest-tools_SLES12
>
> I tried installing the packages (I am just after the no-X11-tools),
> which worked.

> to wrong kernel version (or maybe not):
>
>> # modprobe --allow-unsupported vboxsf
>> modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'vboxsf': Numerical result out of range

Anything in dmesg?

> Same with vboxguest.ko. Same on SP3, SP2 and SP1. As this is the first
> kmp package I am building, I am puzzled.
>
> The error might be due to the fact that the modules are built for
> kernel 4.4.73, while the machine run 4.4.92. But if I understand the
> weak-updates links correctly, this should not matter.

Well, ERANGE is returned when symbol look fails; I expect kernel
messages about what names could not be resolved.

Re: Building virtualbox-guest-tools for SLES12: error during loading of kernel-modules

Johannes Kastl-2
Hi Andrei,

sorry for the late answer, was offline for a couple of days.

On 19.11.17 07:00 Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

> Anything in dmesg?

No, nothing.

> Well, ERANGE is returned when symbol look fails; I expect kernel
> messages about what names could not be resolved.

No, there are actually no messages at all in dmesg or journalctl when

Johannes

Re: Building virtualbox-guest-tools for SLES12: error during loading of kernel-modules

Christian
Am 18.11.2017 um 21:18 schrieb Johannes Kastl:

> Hello guys,
>
> I found no package for the virtualbox guest-tools for SLES12, so I
> decided to try and build it. I took the leap 42.3 virtualbox package
> and tried to get it to build the tools only.
>
> With some fumbling I got it to build:
> home:ojkastl_buildservice:Virtualbox_guest-tools_SLES12
>
> I tried installing the packages (I am just after the no-X11-tools),
> which worked.

> to wrong kernel version (or maybe not):
>
>> # modprobe --allow-unsupported vboxsf
>> modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'vboxsf': Numerical result out of range
>
> Same with vboxguest.ko. Same on SP3, SP2 and SP1. As this is the first
> kmp package I am building, I am puzzled.
>
> The error might be due to the fact that the modules are built for
> kernel 4.4.73, while the machine run 4.4.92. But if I understand the
> weak-updates links correctly, this should not matter.
>
> Or did I build a wrong architecture by disabling the requirements for
> gcc-32bit and xorg*-32bit (which was the only way I got the package to
> build, as the guest-tools-x11 needs x11 dependencies obviously).
>
> If anyone has a hint or RTFM or can have a look at the spec, this
> would be highly appreciated.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Johannes

Hello Johannes,

did you try to build against the Backports projects or just SLE ?

--

Christian

Re: Building virtualbox-guest-tools for SLES12: error during loading of kernel-modules

Johannes Kastl-2
Hi Christian,

On 29.11.17 14:31 Christian wrote:

> did you try to build against the Backports projects or just SLE ?

I built against all for SLES 12 Releases: GA, SP1, SP2, SP3.

But what difference should that make?

Johannes

Re: Building virtualbox-guest-tools for SLES12: error during loading of kernel-modules

Takashi Iwai
On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 21:18:15 +0100,
Johannes Kastl wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> I found no package for the virtualbox guest-tools for SLES12, so I
> decided to try and build it. I took the leap 42.3 virtualbox package
> and tried to get it to build the tools only.
>
> With some fumbling I got it to build:
> home:ojkastl_buildservice:Virtualbox_guest-tools_SLES12
>
> I tried installing the packages (I am just after the no-X11-tools),
> which worked.

> to wrong kernel version (or maybe not):
>
> > # modprobe --allow-unsupported vboxsf
> > modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'vboxsf': Numerical result out of range

A possible error by this code is the module verification failure.
I vaguely remember of an issue with incompatibility of OBS signing
key.  Try to refresh the key once via osc signkey and rebuild, just to
be sure.

Takashi