Building python-chardet for Leap 42.2 fails, if python-coverage is not added to the project

Building python-chardet for Leap 42.2 fails, if python-coverage is not added to the project

Johannes Kastl-2
Hi all,

I get build failures for python-chardet in my Redfish_openSUSE
project, but only for Leap 42.2.

home:ojkastl_buildservice:Redfish_openSUSE/python-chardet

[   33s]   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/hypothesis/core.py",
line 32, in <module>
[   33s]     from coverage.files import canonical_filename
[   33s] ImportError: cannot import name canonical_filename

It seems to build fine for 42.2 in d:l:p.
devel:languages:python/python-chardet

My first guess would be that it needs python-coverage as
BuildRequires. Which might be available on other versions of Leap and
Tumbleweed and in d:l:p.

I tried linkpac'ing python-coverage to my project (for 42.2. only),
and yes, suddenly python-chardet builds fine for 42.2.

2 questions:

My naive guess would be that python-coverage (or %{python_module
coverage}) is missing from the BuildRequires of python-chardet.

But why does it get pulled in, once there is a version of
python-coverage available, even without being added to the spec? Or is
it pulled in by one of the dependencies of python-chardet, so that
package's spec needs to be adapted? Or both spec files?

Or is there a version available, but not in the right version? Leap
42.2 has python-coverage, it seems:

  | python-coverage                    | Paket      | 3.7.1-6.3    |
x86_64 | openSUSE-Leap-42.2-Oss
  | python3-coverage                   | Paket      | 3.7.1-4.4    |
x86_64 | openSUSE-Leap-42.2-Oss

Thanks in advance!

Confused.
Johannes

Re: Building python-chardet for Leap 42.2 fails, if python-coverage is not added to the project

Bruno Friedmann-2
On vendredi, 13 octobre 2017 11.57:28 h CEST Johannes Kastl wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I get build failures for python-chardet in my Redfish_openSUSE
> project, but only for Leap 42.2.
>
> home:ojkastl_buildservice:Redfish_openSUSE/python-chardet
>
> [   33s]   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/hypothesis/core.py",
> line 32, in <module>
> [   33s]     from coverage.files import canonical_filename
> [   33s] ImportError: cannot import name canonical_filename
>
> It seems to build fine for 42.2 in d:l:p.
> devel:languages:python/python-chardet
>
> My first guess would be that it needs python-coverage as
> BuildRequires. Which might be available on other versions of Leap and
> Tumbleweed and in d:l:p.
>
> I tried linkpac'ing python-coverage to my project (for 42.2. only),
> and yes, suddenly python-chardet builds fine for 42.2.
>
> 2 questions:
>
> My naive guess would be that python-coverage (or %{python_module
> coverage}) is missing from the BuildRequires of python-chardet.
>
> But why does it get pulled in, once there is a version of
> python-coverage available, even without being added to the spec? Or is
> it pulled in by one of the dependencies of python-chardet, so that
> package's spec needs to be adapted? Or both spec files?
>
> Or is there a version available, but not in the right version? Leap
>
> 42.2 has python-coverage, it seems:
>   | python-coverage                    | Paket      | 3.7.1-6.3    |
>
> x86_64 | openSUSE-Leap-42.2-Oss
>
>   | python3-coverage                   | Paket      | 3.7.1-4.4    |
>
> x86_64 | openSUSE-Leap-42.2-Oss
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Confused.
> Johannes

python_module was certainly looking for python2- version which certainly 42.2
package doesn't provide ?

--

Bruno Friedmann
 Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch

On 13.10.17 12:40 Bruno Friedmann wrote:

> python_module was certainly looking for python2- version which
> certainly 42.2 package doesn't provide ?

I have not yet added any BuildRequires to the python-chardet spec
file. And yet I have not found out what pulls in python-coverage (no
time to dig yet).

So, your guess might be correct. But would that not render the package
"unresolvable" due to a missing dependency?

On 13.10.17 12:53 Johannes Kastl wrote:

> I have not yet added any BuildRequires to the python-chardet spec
> file. And yet I have not found out what pulls in python-coverage (no
> time to dig yet).

Might be that python-hypothesis is the one pulling in coverage (or
that should pull in coverage):

Requires:       python-coverage
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/devel:languages:python/python-hypothesis/python-hypothesis.spec?expand=1

python-chardet has "BuildRequires:  %{python_module hypothesis}"

Johannes