Boot failure after update from 42.2 to 42.3 "Grub-tpm-measure not found"

Boot failure after update from 42.2 to 42.3 "Grub-tpm-measure not found"

Stakanov Schufter
This is a very puzzling error as I did not install trusted grub and I do not
have tpm on the system. The system is also not UEFI.
The update was from 42.2 (working well) to 42.3 (screwed it up and I am now in
rescue mode).
Did anybody encounter this or does understand what the issue actually is?

Re: Boot failure after update from 42.2 to 42.3 "Grub-tpm-measure not found"

gumb
On 30/10/17 19:45, stakanov wrote:
> This is a very puzzling error as I did not install trusted grub and I do not
> have tpm on the system. The system is also not UEFI.
> The update was from 42.2 (working well) to 42.3 (screwed it up and I am now in
> rescue mode).
> Did anybody encounter this or does understand what the issue actually is?

My own situation is probably of no help in your case, but it might
suggest there's a relation to your problem.

I just upgraded a 42.2 machine to 42.3 using the Upgrade function on the
DVD. I double-checked each of the upgrade categories as I usually do,
and didn't change anything relevant in the Boot section, but when the
procedure reached the stage of going for a reboot GRUB bottomed out.

Not having a clue what to do next I think I booted in recovery mode, had
a look in YaST -> System -> Boot Loader options and changed from GRUB2
to GRUB2 with EFI. It then rebooted with no problems.

That system is an Intel NUC which had a fresh 42.1 install with EFI and
has now been upgraded twice (no such issue from 42.1 -> 42.2). I imagine
that error shouldn't have happened.

gumb

Re: Boot failure after update from 42.2 to 42.3 "Grub-tpm-measure not found"

Andrei Borzenkov
30.10.2017 21:45, stakanov пишет:
> This is a very puzzling error as I did not install trusted grub and I do not
> have tpm on the system. The system is also not UEFI.
> The update was from 42.2 (working well) to 42.3 (screwed it up and I am now in
> rescue mode).
> Did anybody encounter this or does understand what the issue actually is?

TPM support was added to stock grub2. The error suggests that your
core.img does not match /boot/grub2. The usual reason is that at some
point you used grub2-install manually on the "wrong" device (device that
does not match YaST configuration). So now after grub2 update new
core.img was written somewhere else and you continue to boot old version.

It may also happen if you ever changed bootloader location in YaST as it
probably does not wipe out bootloader in old location. If this is indeed
what happened, this warrants bug report.

Boot from live image and provide content of
/etc/default/grub_installdevice as well as result of bootinfoscript run
(get it from github, sourceforge one is way outdated).

In data martedì 31 ottobre 2017 04:26:43 CET, Andrei Borzenkov ha scritto:

> 30.10.2017 21:45, stakanov пишет:
> > This is a very puzzling error as I did not install trusted grub and I do
> > not have tpm on the system. The system is also not UEFI.
> > The update was from 42.2 (working well) to 42.3 (screwed it up and I am
> > now in rescue mode).
> > Did anybody encounter this or does understand what the issue actually is?
>
> TPM support was added to stock grub2. The error suggests that your
> core.img does not match /boot/grub2. The usual reason is that at some
> point you used grub2-install manually on the "wrong" device (device that
> does not match YaST configuration). So now after grub2 update new
> core.img was written somewhere else and you continue to boot old version.
>
> It may also happen if you ever changed bootloader location in YaST as it
> probably does not wipe out bootloader in old location. If this is indeed
> what happened, this warrants bug report.
>
> Boot from live image and provide content of
> /etc/default/grub_installdevice as well as result of bootinfoscript run
> (get it from github, sourceforge one is way outdated).

Priviet Andrei.

I will provide, due to circumstances that may take a day or two (having some
trouble in family, sorry). So do not take the delay for being disinterested.
What you described does somewhat fit, as I did a zypper dup but there had been
other discs that (today used for other means) may have had an old copy of
grub.
So stand by please, info comes soon.

Thanks.

Re: Boot failure after update from 42.2 to 42.3 "Grub-tpm-measure not found"

Wol's lists
On 31/10/17 03:26, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

> 30.10.2017 21:45, stakanov пишет:
>> > This is a very puzzling error as I did not install trusted grub and I do not
>> > have tpm on the system. The system is also not UEFI.
>> > The update was from 42.2 (working well) to 42.3 (screwed it up and I am now in
>> > rescue mode).
>> > Did anybody encounter this or does understand what the issue actually is?
>> >

> TPM support was added to stock grub2. The error suggests that your
> core.img does not match /boot/grub2. The usual reason is that at some
> point you used grub2-install manually on the "wrong" device (device that
> does not match YaST configuration). So now after grub2 update new
> core.img was written somewhere else and you continue to boot old version.
>
> It may also happen if you ever changed bootloader location in YaST as it
> probably does not wipe out bootloader in old location. If this is indeed
> what happened, this warrants bug report.

Sounds to me like YaST gets confused if you've got a multiboot situation
(or the user gets confused and screws things up ...)

I've got the stock MBR that chained into gentoo-grub on my gentoo
partition, that I then chained SUSE-grub on my SUSE partition if that's
what I wanted.

I don't know what's happened with my upgrade from 42.2 to 42.3, but it
now boots straight into SUSE-grub. I *think* it's probably just changed
the active partition, but YaST certainly seems to play fast and loose
with the previous setup ...

Cheers,
Wol

Re: Boot failure after update from 42.2 to 42.3 "Grub-tpm-measure not found"

Stakanov Schufter
In data martedì 31 ottobre 2017 04:26:43 CET, Andrei Borzenkov ha scritto:

> 30.10.2017 21:45, stakanov пишет:
> > This is a very puzzling error as I did not install trusted grub and I do
> > not have tpm on the system. The system is also not UEFI.
> > The update was from 42.2 (working well) to 42.3 (screwed it up and I am
> > now in rescue mode).
> > Did anybody encounter this or does understand what the issue actually is?
>
> TPM support was added to stock grub2. The error suggests that your
> core.img does not match /boot/grub2. The usual reason is that at some
> point you used grub2-install manually on the "wrong" device (device that
> does not match YaST configuration). So now after grub2 update new
> core.img was written somewhere else and you continue to boot old version.
>
> It may also happen if you ever changed bootloader location in YaST as it
> probably does not wipe out bootloader in old location. If this is indeed
> what happened, this warrants bug report.
>
> Boot from live image and provide content of
> /etc/default/grub_installdevice as well as result of bootinfoscript run
> (get it from github, sourceforge one is way outdated).

Ok. I have now the content of grubinstalldevice and for comparison the .old
version of it (that was bootable).
I tried to run the script but I do get an error message that is:
line 7: syntaxerror near to the unattendet token "newline"
line 7: '<!DOCTYPE html >

Now the content of the files:
current is

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-SAMSUNG_HD502HI_S1VZJ1KS407054-part3
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD502HI_S1VZJ1KS407054
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-350024e90013e385a-part6
activate
generic_mbr

As opposed to the "old" version

/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD502HIS1VZJ1KS407054-part6
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD502HI_S1VZJ1KS407054-part3
activate
generic_mbr

The change came only into being with the update from 42.2 to 42.3

05.11.2017 21:45, stakanov пишет:

> In data martedì 31 ottobre 2017 04:26:43 CET, Andrei Borzenkov ha scritto:
>> 30.10.2017 21:45, stakanov пишет:
>>> This is a very puzzling error as I did not install trusted grub and I do
>>> not have tpm on the system. The system is also not UEFI.
>>> The update was from 42.2 (working well) to 42.3 (screwed it up and I am
>>> now in rescue mode).
>>> Did anybody encounter this or does understand what the issue actually is?
>>
>> TPM support was added to stock grub2. The error suggests that your
>> core.img does not match /boot/grub2. The usual reason is that at some
>> point you used grub2-install manually on the "wrong" device (device that
>> does not match YaST configuration). So now after grub2 update new
>> core.img was written somewhere else and you continue to boot old version.
>>
>> It may also happen if you ever changed bootloader location in YaST as it
>> probably does not wipe out bootloader in old location. If this is indeed
>> what happened, this warrants bug report.
>>
>> Boot from live image and provide content of
>> /etc/default/grub_installdevice as well as result of bootinfoscript run
>> (get it from github, sourceforge one is way outdated).
>
> Ok. I have now the content of grubinstalldevice and for comparison the .old
> version of it (that was bootable).
> I tried to run the script but I do get an error message that is:
> line 7: syntaxerror near to the unattendet token "newline"
> line 7: '<!DOCTYPE html >

You need to save raw file, not HTML page. Or you can simply download
release tarball to avoid any confusion.

> Now the content of the files:
> current is
>
> /dev/disk/by-id/ata-SAMSUNG_HD502HI_S1VZJ1KS407054-part3
> /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD502HI_S1VZJ1KS407054
> /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-350024e90013e385a-part6
> activate
> generic_mbr
>
> As opposed to the "old" version
>
> /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD502HIS1VZJ1KS407054-part6
> /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD502HI_S1VZJ1KS407054-part3
> activate
> generic_mbr
>
> The change came only into being with the update from 42.2 to 42.3

Well, .old file confirms my hypothesis (although we still do not know
actual boot block content). I have no idea what and when changed it, I
would not expect any change without you going into YaST bootloader and
trying to modify configuration.

As a general comment, having multiple location can lead to other sort of
problems and should better be avoided. There is no real reason to have
it (and I suspect it is leftover from the legacy grub which was far less
sensitive to it).

In data martedì 7 novembre 2017 19:00:32 CET, Andrei Borzenkov ha scritto:

> 05.11.2017 21:45, stakanov пишет:
> >>
> >> TPM support was added to stock grub2. The error suggests that your
> >> core.img does not match /boot/grub2. The usual reason is that at some
> >> point you used grub2-install manually on the "wrong" device (device that
> >> does not match YaST configuration). So now after grub2 update new
> >> core.img was written somewhere else and you continue to boot old version.
> >>
> >> It may also happen if you ever changed bootloader location in YaST as it
> >> probably does not wipe out bootloader in old location. If this is indeed
> >> what happened, this warrants bug report.
> >>
> >> Boot from live image and provide content of
> >> /etc/default/grub_installdevice as well as result of bootinfoscript run
> >> (get it from github, sourceforge one is way outdated).
> >
> > Ok. I have now the content of grubinstalldevice and for comparison the
> > .old
> > version of it (that was bootable).
> > I tried to run the script but I do get an error message that is:
> > line 7: syntaxerror near to the unattendet token "newline"
> > line 7: '<!DOCTYPE html >
>
> You need to save raw file, not HTML page. Or you can simply download
> release tarball to avoid any confusion.
>
> > Now the content of the files:
> > current is
> >
> > /dev/disk/by-id/ata-SAMSUNG_HD502HI_S1VZJ1KS407054-part3
> > /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD502HI_S1VZJ1KS407054
> > /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-350024e90013e385a-part6
> > activate
> > generic_mbr
> >
> > As opposed to the "old" version
> >
> > /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD502HIS1VZJ1KS407054-part6
> > /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD502HI_S1VZJ1KS407054-part3
> > activate
> > generic_mbr
> >
> > The change came only into being with the update from 42.2 to 42.3
>
> Well, .old file confirms my hypothesis (although we still do not know
> actual boot block content). I have no idea what and when changed it, I
> would not expect any change without you going into YaST bootloader and
> trying to modify configuration.
>
> As a general comment, having multiple location can lead to other sort of
> problems and should better be avoided. There is no real reason to have
> it (and I suspect it is leftover from the legacy grub which was far less
> sensitive to it).

Here you have the result of bootinfoscript (from git-hub)

http://susepaste.org/90387648

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 12:38 PM, stakanov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In data martedì 7 novembre 2017 19:00:32 CET, Andrei Borzenkov ha scritto:

>> > Ok. I have now the content of grubinstalldevice and for comparison the
>> > .old
>> > version of it (that was bootable).
>> > I tried to run the script but I do get an error message that is:
>> > line 7: syntaxerror near to the unattendet token "newline"
>> > line 7: '<!DOCTYPE html >
>>
>> You need to save raw file, not HTML page. Or you can simply download
>> release tarball to avoid any confusion.
>>
>> > Now the content of the files:
>> > current is
>> >
>> > /dev/disk/by-id/ata-SAMSUNG_HD502HI_S1VZJ1KS407054-part3
>> > /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD502HI_S1VZJ1KS407054
>> > /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-350024e90013e385a-part6
>> > activate
>> > generic_mbr
>> >
>> > As opposed to the "old" version
>> >
>> > /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD502HIS1VZJ1KS407054-part6
>> > /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD502HI_S1VZJ1KS407054-part3
>> > activate
>> > generic_mbr
>> >
>> > The change came only into being with the update from 42.2 to 42.3
>>
>> Well, .old file confirms my hypothesis (although we still do not know
>> actual boot block content). I have no idea what and when changed it, I
>> would not expect any change without you going into YaST bootloader and
>> trying to modify configuration.
>>
>> As a general comment, having multiple location can lead to other sort of
>> problems and should better be avoided. There is no real reason to have
>> it (and I suspect it is leftover from the legacy grub which was far less
>> sensitive to it).
>
> Here you have the result of bootinfoscript (from git-hub)
>
> http://susepaste.org/90387648

Well, you have grub2 installed in MBR of /dev/sda and /dev/sdb (as
seen from your live system) and referring to /boot/grub2 on /dev/sdb6,
but all entries in /etc/default/grub_installdevice point only to sdb.
So assuming your BIOS boot device is sda, it perfectly explains what
happened.

scritto:

> >> You need to save raw file, not HTML page. Or you can simply download
> >> release tarball to avoid any confusion.

> >> Well, .old file confirms my hypothesis (although we still do not know
> >> actual boot block content). I have no idea what and when changed it, I
> >> would not expect any change without you going into YaST bootloader and
> >> trying to modify configuration.
> >>
> >> As a general comment, having multiple location can lead to other sort of
> >> problems and should better be avoided. There is no real reason to have
> >> it (and I suspect it is leftover from the legacy grub which was far less
> >> sensitive to it).
> >
> > Here you have the result of bootinfoscript (from git-hub)
> >
> > http://susepaste.org/90387648
>
> Well, you have grub2 installed in MBR of /dev/sda and /dev/sdb (as
> seen from your live system) and referring to /boot/grub2 on /dev/sdb6,
> but all entries in /etc/default/grub_installdevice point only to sdb.
> So assuming your BIOS boot device is sda, it perfectly explains what
> happened.

Now the question is, why did this happen after a simple "zypper dup"?
Should I simple accept the fact as is and rename the .old file to current?
Would this happen again after a regular zypper dup for 15 and especially is
there anything I can do on this (admittedly historical) system, that received
a lot of hardware upgrades (besides others you may expect a lot of new hdd
during the years.
I personally do not know how to "clean" an mbr of former grub entries without
having to format the whole disk....

Sorry for sending this first as pm, my error.
Therefore redirected to the list.

Re: Boot failure after update from 42.2 to 42.3 "Grub-tpm-measure not found"

Patrick Shanahan-2
* stakanov <[hidden email]> [11-08-17 10:24]:
> In data mercoledì 8 novembre 2017 13:24:37 CET, hai scritto:

 [...]

> Sorry for sending this first as pm, my error.
> Therefore redirected to the list.

you might even consider trimming your quoting to only that necessary for
understanding your post as strongly suggested in openSUSE mailing list
netiquette, 7 levels is somewhat excessive.  trimming is courteous and
shows consideration to those who might help with your problems.

Re: Boot failure after update from 42.2 to 42.3 "Grub-tpm-measure not found"

Andrei Borzenkov
08.11.2017 18:22, stakanov пишет:
[... trimming so I am not jumped on by self-appointed police of this
list ...]

>>> Here you have the result of bootinfoscript (from git-hub)
>>>
>>> http://susepaste.org/90387648
>>
>> Well, you have grub2 installed in MBR of /dev/sda and /dev/sdb (as
>> seen from your live system) and referring to /boot/grub2 on /dev/sdb6,
>> but all entries in /etc/default/grub_installdevice point only to sdb.
>> So assuming your BIOS boot device is sda, it perfectly explains what
>> happened.
>
> Now the question is, why did this happen after a simple "zypper dup"?

What "this"? Changes in grub_installdevice? It does not matter, as both
versions refer to sdb only. grub2 in MBR of sda? How should we know
this. The fact that it boots from sda? It is your system, I presume you
know how it is configured.

Again in case you did not understand. You have grub2 in MBR of your boot
disk (which I bet is sda) and have configured your openSUSE to put
bootloader in (multiple locations of) sdb. So when grub2 package was
updated only /boot/grub2 content was touched - but not code in sda MBR.
This worked as long as new grub2 versions remained mostly compatible.
Once you updated to very different version, bootloader kernel in MBR of
boot disk (sda?) stopped providing necessary services for new grub2
modules in /boot/grub2.

> Should I simple accept the fact as is and rename the .old file to current?

It will not change anything.

> Would this happen again after a regular zypper dup for 15 and especially is
> there anything I can do on this (admittedly historical) system, that received
> a lot of hardware upgrades (besides others you may expect a lot of new hdd
> during the years.
> I personally do not know how to "clean" an mbr of former grub entries without
> having to format the whole disk....

Start with telling us what is your boot disk.

In data mercoledì 8 novembre 2017 18:16:15 CET, Andrei Borzenkov ha scritto:
> 08.11.2017 18:22, stakanov пишет:
> [... trimming so I am not jumped on by self-appointed police of this
> list ...]
[Well said. I hope that is not too much trimmed. Maybe there is an important
netiquette on this too....?]

> Start with telling us what is your boot disk.

O.K.
First of all: this is "my" system, in the sense that I took care for it. It is
my fathers system at my parents home. To be
honest I had not to care too much because it just worked.
Historically it was a windows system so this is what explains a few of the
weirdo things here.
Discs are sda, sdb, sdc, and sdd.
Initially the sdb was the windows one and was the first disc but after a
repair it turns out that:
sda is in one only partition of 298 GB and should bear only data with NFTS
partition (windows)
The sdb was historicall the first disc running with win.
sdb 1 160GB NTFS (seems the "own data of users" Windows
sdb 2 110GB NTFS (old system disk of Win)
Then the partitioner shows:
sdb6 with 40 GB ext4 (leap root)
sdb7 with 2 GB ext4 (leap swap)
sdb5 with 153 GB (? - I do not really recall if this got /var or  /home or if
it was abandoned. I think it is part of home as LVM, it is ext4)
sdc is windows data disc, all dedicated to backup Acronis (so it should not
enter in
the problem).
sdd is 1.8 TB of data with user /home

The system should start from sdb, as I have not a /boot, the MBR therefore.
Why it did have another location
or MBR is not known to me, with 42.2 it booted normally, with 42.3 it stopped
to work. And I did not change any setting in yast since at least 12.2.
I hope that was somewhat understandable. My father is 91 years old and my
parents rely quite a lot on having a running Linux.  I would just like to
recover the data and have a running system. If grub can be reconfigured to
start the otherwise well situated system, I will be happy to do this.
Otherwise I would have to know what exactly tell the installer (once read in
the existing partitions) in order to not run into this problem again.
Thanks in advance.

On Wednesday, 2017-11-08 at 22:59 +0100, stakanov wrote:
> In data mercoledì 8 novembre 2017 18:16:15 CET, Andrei Borzenkov ha scritto:

>> Start with telling us what is your boot disk.
>>
> O.K.
> First of all: this is "my" system, in the sense that I took care for it. It is
> my fathers system at my parents home. To be
> honest I had not to care too much because it just worked.
> Historically it was a windows system so this is what explains a few of the
> weirdo things here.

> Discs are sda, sdb, sdc, and sdd.

This can be seen in the bootinfo output you posted before. You just need
to say which one you want to boot from :-)

> Initially the sdb was the windows one and was the first disc but after a
> repair it turns out that:
> sda is in one only partition of 298 GB and should bear only data with NFTS
> partition (windows)

sda1:

     File system:       ntfs
     Boot sector type:  Windows 2000/XP: NTFS
     Boot sector info:  No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.

/dev/sda1    *             63   625,134,191   625,134,129   7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS

> The sdb was historicall the first disc running with win.
> sdb 1 160GB NTFS (seems the "own data of users" Windows
> sdb 2 110GB NTFS (old system disk of Win)

/dev/sdb1                  63   335,854,889   335,854,827   7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
/dev/sdb2         335,854,890   566,982,044   231,127,155   7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
/dev/sdb3    *    566,982,045   976,768,064   409,786,020   5 Extended
/dev/sdb5         655,435,998   976,768,064   321,332,067  83 Linux   ext3
/dev/sdb6         566,982,171   650,857,409    83,875,239  83 Linux   ext4      ==> boot
/dev/sdb7         650,857,473   655,435,934     4,578,462  82 Linux swap / Solaris

sdb6 is a boot partition of 40 GB? Or perhaps "root". Then sdb5 could be
home.

> Then the partitioner shows:
> sdb6 with 40 GB ext4 (leap root)
> sdb7 with 2 GB ext4 (leap swap)
> sdb5 with 153 GB (? - I do not really recall if this got /var or  /home or if
> it was abandoned. I think it is part of home as LVM, it is ext4)

Hum. If you do not know what it is, check, format and reuse.

> sdc is windows data disc, all dedicated to backup Acronis (so it should not
> enter in the problem).
> sdd is 1.8 TB of data with user /home

Partition  Boot  Start Sector    End Sector  # of Sectors  Id System

/dev/sdc1    *             63        32,129        32,067   7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
/dev/sdc2              32,130   488,397,167   488,365,038   5 Extended
/dev/sdc5              32,193   488,392,064   488,359,872  bc Acronis BackUp

/dev/sdc2 ends after the last sector of /dev/sdc

sdc2 and sdc5 are extrange. :-?

Festplatte /dev/sde: 28,9 GiB, 31004295168 Bytes, 60555264 Sektoren

Partition  Boot  Start Sector    End Sector  # of Sectors  Id System

/dev/sde1    *              0     5,130,239     5,130,240   0 Empty
/dev/sde2                 304         8,495         8,192  ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)

/dev/sde1 overlaps with /dev/sde2   <=================

GUID Partition Table detected, but does not seem to be used. <==============

Partition  Attrs   Start Sector    End Sector  # of Sectors System
/dev/sde1                     0     5,129,515     5,129,516 Data partition (Windows/Linux)
/dev/sde2                   304         8,495         8,192 Data partition (Windows/Linux)

There are problems with sde.

/dev/sdd1               2,048 3,907,028,991 3,907,026,944  83 Linux   HOME

sdb6/etc/fstab:

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-SAMSUNG_HD502HI_S1VZJ1KS407054-part7 swap                 swap       defaults              0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-SAMSUNG_HD502HI_S1VZJ1KS407054-part6 /                    ext4       data=journal,acl,user_xattr 1 1
UUID=6c891ed2-3d73-4abd-a112-c3e33a055f22 /home                ext4       defaults              1 2

Translated:

/dev/sdb7  swap           swap       defaults              0 0
/dev/sdb6  /              ext4       data=journal,acl,user_xattr 1 1
/dev/sdd1  /home          ext4       defaults              1 2

> The system should start from sdb, as I have not a /boot, the MBR therefore.
> Why it did have another location
> or MBR is not known to me, with 42.2 it booted normally, with 42.3 it stopped
> to work. And I did not change any setting in yast since at least 12.2.
> I hope that was somewhat understandable.

Andrei explained why.

Probably "/etc/default/grub" is wrong.

> My father is 91 years old and my
> parents rely quite a lot on having a running Linux.  I would just like to
> recover the data and have a running system. If grub can be reconfigured to
> start the otherwise well situated system, I will be happy to do this.
> Otherwise I would have to know what exactly tell the installer (once read in
> the existing partitions) in order to not run into this problem again.

Well, can you boot the system? I guess not.

Boot an openSUSE live system. Mount sdb6 on /mnt, for instance.

Do:
     mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
     mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
     mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev

     cd /mnt
     chroot /mnt
     yast   (text mode)

navigate to the section on boot, and change the configuration to be
correct: install generic MBR on sdb, install grub in "/dev/sdb3", mark it
bootable (it already is), install grub files in /dev/sdb6

More or less, I know how to do it but not from memory.

Notice that grub has to be installed "partially" in the extended
partition, and the files in a logical partition.

Alternatively, backup and install fresh in sdb telling Yast to take the
entire disk, without a NEW home partition. Use the existing one in sdd1. I
would probably do this, to reuse that unused space.

You also have to tell the bios to boot from the second disk.

Re: Boot failure after update from 42.2 to 42.3 "Grub-tpm-measure not found"

Stakanov Schufter
> In data giovedì 9 novembre 2017 00:25:46 CET, Carlos E. R. ha scritto:
> > Well, can you boot the system? I guess not.
>
> No, it gives the error as of above.
>
> sdc2 and sdc5 are extrange. :-?
This is easily explained. The Acronis Software for windows is a backup
programm that creates a proprietary formatting on the disk and compresses data
with it. Therefore only Acronis Software can access this system backup. Linux
certainly can not nor can grub.

> Partition  Boot  Start Sector    End Sector  # of Sectors  Id System
>
> /dev/sde1    *              0     5,130,239     5,130,240   0 Empty
> /dev/sde2                 304         8,495         8,192  ef EFI
> (FAT-12/16/32)
>
> /dev/sde1 overlaps with /dev/sde2   <=================
>
> GUID Partition Table detected, but does not seem to be used. <==============
>
> Partition  Attrs   Start Sector    End Sector  # of Sectors System
> /dev/sde1                     0     5,129,515     5,129,516 Data partition
> (Windows/Linux) /dev/sde2                   304         8,495         8,192
> Data partition (Windows/Linux)
>

> There are problems with sde.
Well, that I am subscribing without hesitations. I should not even have an sde
disc!

> > Boot an openSUSE live system. Mount sdb6 on /mnt, for instance.

Well, this is a main problem, how to find a openSUSE live system as AFAIK,
 leap does not have one. If I take TW I am not sure a) that it exists b)
 that it will be compatible , TW is quite far from current leap 42.3. Would
 live DVD of Mageia do.... I do not know that either.

> > Do:
> >      mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
> >      mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
> >      mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
> >
> >      cd /mnt
> >      chroot /mnt
> >      yast   (text mode)

 O.K. up to here I am with you. Just will need the live DVD.

> > navigate to the section on boot, and change the configuration to be
> > correct: install generic MBR on sdb, install grub in "/dev/sdb3", mark it
> > bootable (it already is), install grub files in /dev/sdb6

 Is this the yast menu point: "personalized boot partition"?

> > More or less, I know how to do it but not from memory.
> >
> > Notice that grub has to be installed "partially" in the extended
> > partition, and the files in a logical partition.

This part I do not understand. How would I do this?

> > Alternatively, backup and install fresh in sdb telling Yast to take the
> > entire disk, without a NEW home partition. Use the existing one in sdd1. I
> > would probably do this, to reuse that unused space.
> >

> > You also have to tell the bios to boot from the second disk.
> >

> > --
> > Cheers,
> >
> >         Carlos E. R.

I think once I manage to do all this, it would be nice to migrate only linux
to a new ssd and then to format and reuse the former system disc. But I do not
know if this is possible to do this without a fresh install. (it is just that
he has a lot of specific graphics programms installed (believe it or not, he is
using blender and other programs. So I would like to avoid to have to search
for all programms installed again.

P.S. thank you for your help. Also thank you to Andrei. N‹§²æìr¸›y隊Z)z{.±ï®žË›±Êâmê)z{.±ê+:¢{ZrÛazŒ'z·¦j)h¥éìºÇ¾£ Þ®Š^žË¬zŠà

Re: Boot failure after update from 42.2 to 42.3 "Grub-tpm-measure not found"

Felix Miata-3
stakanov composed on 2017-11-09 09:52 (UTC+0100):

> Well, this is a main problem, how to find a openSUSE live system as AFAIK,
>  leap does not have one. If I take TW I am not sure a) that it exists b)
>  that it will be compatible , TW is quite far from current leap 42.3. Would
>  live DVD of Mageia do.... I do not know that either.

>>> Do:
>>>      mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
>>>      mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
>>>      mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev

>>>      cd /mnt
>>>      chroot /mnt
>>>      yast   (text mode)

>  O.K. up to here I am with you. Just will need the live DVD.

FWIW, IMO, if I were in your position, and disinclined to research the best
possible choice, I'd very likely choose Mageia 5.1 live media. Here's why:

1-rpm distro
2-4.4 kernel, which is what 42.3 uses
3-I'm a multibooter, and Mageia is traditionally (based on Mandrake and Mandriva
lineage) my 2nd choice distro (behind openSUSE), thus familiar
4-42.3 and 5.1 both use an iteration of pre-release Grub 2.02.

All that said, not needing live media for occasional rescue purposes is one of
the secondary benefits of multiboot configuration. :-)

BTW, all of my PCs have generic MBR code installed. Grub is installed to
partitions only. ;-)

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

On 09/11/17 08:52, stakanov wrote:
> Well, this is a main problem, how to find a openSUSE live system as AFAIK,
>  leap does not have one. If I take TW I am not sure a) that it exists b)
>  that it will be compatible , TW is quite far from current leap 42.3. Would
>  live DVD of Mageia do.... I do not know that either.

http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/

Based on gentoo, but the point is it's a dedicated rescue distro, with
all the recovery tools you could want ...

Cheers,
Wol

On Thursday, 2017-11-09 at 09:52 +0100, stakanov wrote:

>> In data giovedì 9 novembre 2017 00:25:46 CET, Carlos E. R. ha scritto:
>>> Well, can you boot the system? I guess not.
>>
>> No, it gives the error as of above.
>>
>> sdc2 and sdc5 are extrange. :-?
> This is easily explained. The Acronis Software for windows is a backup
> programm that creates a proprietary formatting on the disk and compresses data
> with it. Therefore only Acronis Software can access this system backup. Linux
> certainly can not nor can grub.
Right, I understand that it manages the *contents* of the partition, raw.
But what it can not manage is the partition definition itself, not if the
resulting partition is inconsistent with others.

>> Partition  Boot  Start Sector    End Sector  # of Sectors  Id System
>>
>> /dev/sde1    *              0     5,130,239     5,130,240   0 Empty
>> /dev/sde2                 304         8,495         8,192  ef EFI
>> (FAT-12/16/32)
>>
>> /dev/sde1 overlaps with /dev/sde2   <=================
>>
>> GUID Partition Table detected, but does not seem to be used. <==============
>>
>> Partition  Attrs   Start Sector    End Sector  # of Sectors System
>> /dev/sde1                     0     5,129,515     5,129,516 Data partition
>> (Windows/Linux) /dev/sde2                   304         8,495         8,192
>> Data partition (Windows/Linux)
>>

>> There are problems with sde.
> Well, that I am subscribing without hesitations. I should not even have an sde
> disc!
It is very small, 28,9 GiB

>>> Boot an openSUSE live system. Mount sdb6 on /mnt, for instance.
>>

> Well, this is a main problem, how to find a openSUSE live system as AFAIK,
> leap does not have one. If I take TW I am not sure a) that it exists b)
> that it will be compatible , TW is quite far from current leap 42.3. Would
> live DVD of Mageia do.... I do not know that either.

No, it must be an openSUSE disk because you intend to fire up YaST.

You can try with the rescue ISO for 13.2, or the one for TW (yes, there is
one, I don't know if it is finished).

Or you can do what I did: Install Leap in a very small spare partition in
another disk. 8 or 9 GB would suffice.

For this job, I think you do not need any: just boot Leap install media:
there is an option (or there should be, I have not looked or I don't
remember) to boot a very small text rescue image. Very few tools, but
enough for the procedure I described. If you don't have any, download the
NET install disk for the same Leap as you are recovering.

>>> Do:
>>>      mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
>>>      mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
>>>      mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
>>>
>>>      cd /mnt
>>>      chroot /mnt
>>>      yast   (text mode)
>

> O.K. up to here I am with you. Just will need the live DVD.
Right.

yast:

(notice that it runs yast from the installed system, not from the rescue
system)

>>> navigate to the section on boot, and change the configuration to be
>>> correct: install generic MBR on sdb, install grub in "/dev/sdb3", mark it
>>> bootable (it already is), install grub files in /dev/sdb6
>>

> Is this the yast menu point: "personalized boot partition"?
>

>>> More or less, I know how to do it but not from memory.
>>>
>>> Notice that grub has to be installed "partially" in the extended
>>> partition, and the files in a logical partition.
>>

> This part I do not understand. How would I do this?

Ok, I will look later at how my laptop is done, because I don't remember;
but I have to do it later, I can't access it right now.

> I think once I manage to do all this, it would be nice to migrate only linux
> to a new ssd and then to format and reuse the former system disc. But I do not
> know if this is possible to do this without a fresh install. (it is just that
> he has a lot of specific graphics programms installed (believe it or not, he is
> using blender and other programs. So I would like to avoid to have to search
> for all programms installed again.

Perfectly possible, I did it myself less than a month ago.

> P.S. thank you for your help. Also thank you to Andrei.

Welcome :-)

Re: Boot failure after update from 42.2 to 42.3 "Grub-tpm-measure not found"

Felix Miata-3

>> Well, this is a main problem, how to find a openSUSE live system as AFAIK,
>> leap does not have one. If I take TW I am not sure a) that it exists b)
>> that it will be compatible , TW is quite far from current leap 42.3. Would
>> live DVD of Mageia do.... I do not know that either.

> No, it must be an openSUSE disk because you intend to fire up YaST.

???...

> You can try with the rescue ISO for 13.2, or the one for TW (yes, there is
> one, I don't know if it is finished).

> Or you can do what I did: Install Leap in a very small spare partition in
> another disk. 8 or 9 GB would suffice.

> For this job, I think you do not need any: just boot Leap install media:
> there is an option (or there should be, I have not looked or I don't
> remember) to boot a very small text rescue image. Very few tools, but
> enough for the procedure I described. If you don't have any, download the
> NET install disk for the same Leap as you are recovering.

>> O.K. up to here I am with you. Just will need the live DVD.

> Right.

> yast:

> (notice that it runs yast from the installed system, not from the rescue
> system)

So then why do you say the live media must be openSUSE rather than Mageia? The
way I understand chroot, only the kernel plus the content of the bind mounts
comes from the booted media, while the rest, including YaST2, comes from the
chrooted-to filesystem.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

In data giovedì 9 novembre 2017 13:49:18 CET, Felix Miata ha scritto:

> Carlos E. R. composed on 2017-11-09 12:51 (UTC+0100):
> >> Well, this is a main problem, how to find a openSUSE live system as
> >> AFAIK,
> >> leap does not have one. If I take TW I am not sure a) that it exists b)
> >> that it will be compatible , TW is quite far from current leap 42.3.
> >> Would
> >> live DVD of Mageia do.... I do not know that either.
> >
> > No, it must be an openSUSE disk because you intend to fire up YaST.
>
> ???...
>
> > You can try with the rescue ISO for 13.2, or the one for TW (yes, there is
> > one, I don't know if it is finished).
> >
> > Or you can do what I did: Install Leap in a very small spare partition in
> > another disk. 8 or 9 GB would suffice.
> >
> > For this job, I think you do not need any: just boot Leap install media:
> > there is an option (or there should be, I have not looked or I don't
> > remember) to boot a very small text rescue image. Very few tools, but
> > enough for the procedure I described. If you don't have any, download the
> > NET install disk for the same Leap as you are recovering.
> >
> >> O.K. up to here I am with you. Just will need the live DVD.
> >
> > Right.
> >
> > yast:
> >
> > (notice that it runs yast from the installed system, not from the rescue
> > system)
>
> So then why do you say the live media must be openSUSE rather than Mageia?
> The way I understand chroot, only the kernel plus the content of the bind
> mounts comes from the booted media, while the rest, including YaST2, comes
> from the chrooted-to filesystem.
So you say, if I am e.g. using Mageia 6 live (which I did up to now) and do
the commands as of above, I should be able to start yast. Would be perfect. I
think I will try.
Or I can try the commands with the "rescue system" of leap install media, but
I have the feeling I can do more stupid things there (I am able to mount
unmount and use the CLI but it takes more concentration and IMO there is a
larger margin for PEBKAC errors....