BRTFS balancing automatically

opensuse.lietuviu.kalba
Hi,

Problems with no longer usable space in BTRFS partitions (though) there
is empty space there are present not only in Tumbleweed [1]. Just one
day after openSUSE Leap 42.2 beta2 usage, I was not able even to start
KDE desktop (only black background after login via SDDM). After logging
as root, I check BTRFS. Simple `sudo btrfs balance` did not helped for
me: I had "No space left on device" error. But `sudo btrfs fi balance
start -dusage=5 /` (proposed in [2]) did helped to fix btrfs and run
desktop. If openSUSE still provide btrfs as recommended default file
system – it should work excelent.

So why not to add some cron job or systemd service to regulary execute
`btrfs fi balance start -dusage=5 /mount/point` ? I hope this will help
often. Or maybe we could create some service/deamon to monitor state of
btrfs, and run that command when it is necessary?

1. https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2016-09/msg00274.html
2.
https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Problem_FAQ#I_get_.22No_space_left_on_device.22_errors.2C_but_df_says_I.27ve_got_lots_of_space

--

Regards

Re: BRTFS balancing automatically

nicholas cunliffe
to add to: i had the same problem on tumbleweed, there is cron weekly
but i have suspicions its not running, i didnt have time to
investigate fully and have been doing manual for the last month.
PS if your balancing manual you should do both dusage and musage to a
higher figure (50), the 5 i assume is suggested for recovery
situations.