Automounting after bringing network up

Mikhail Ramendik
Hello,

I have a Leap 42.2 station and need to have a network share mounted. I
tried to add a curlftpfs line to /etc/fstab, only to get emergency
mode instead of GUI. After removing plymouthd that was not really at
fault (but for some reason sent SIGRTMIN+21 and sometimes dumped core,
so I thought it was at fault), I realized that the problem was the
mount. The network is not up at the time /etc/fstab is processed.

Is it possible to have an automatic mount that runs when the network
is already up, but before the login screen?

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik

Re: Automounting after bringing network up

Charles Philip Chan-2
Mikhail Ramendik <[hidden email]> writes:

> Is it possible to have an automatic mount that runs when the network
> is already up, but before the login screen?

Do you really need it before the login screen? Quick and dirty. Set it
to noauto in fstab and put the mount command in /etc/rc.d/after.local

Charles

--
I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody.  It doesn't generate revenue.
(Dave '-ddt->` Taylor, announcing DOOM for Linux)

On 2017-06-16 02:48, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a Leap 42.2 station and need to have a network share mounted. I
> tried to add a curlftpfs line to /etc/fstab, only to get emergency
> mode instead of GUI. After removing plymouthd that was not really at
> fault (but for some reason sent SIGRTMIN+21 and sometimes dumped core,
> so I thought it was at fault), I realized that the problem was the
> mount. The network is not up at the time /etc/fstab is processed.
>
> Is it possible to have an automatic mount that runs when the network
> is already up, but before the login screen?
_netdev

The traditional trick was to use option _netdev in the fstab line. But
I'm not sure systemd respects it.

Re: Automounting after bringing network up

Jan Ritzerfeld-3
Am Freitag, 16. Juni 2017, 01:48:29 CEST schrieb Mikhail Ramendik:
> I have a Leap 42.2 station and need to have a network share mounted. I
> tried to add a curlftpfs line to /etc/fstab, only to get emergency
> mode instead of GUI. After removing plymouthd that was not really at
> fault (but for some reason sent SIGRTMIN+21 and sometimes dumped core,
> so I thought it was at fault), I realized that the problem was the
> mount. The network is not up at the time /etc/fstab is processed.

systemd automatically detects that a mount needs a network. But "curlftps" is
not on its list. So, Carlos tip "use option _netdev" is correct:
http://codingberg.com/linux/systemd_when_to_use_netdev_mount_option
However, if the network share is not available, this might fail. So, you
should add "nofail", too.

> [...]
> Is it possible to have an automatic mount that runs when the network
> is already up, but before the login screen?

Since you already started editing fstab, you could try systemd automount by
adding(!) the following options:
noauto,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.idle-timeout=60,nofail
Then, systemd will mount your share only when needed and will automatically
unmount it if you don't use it anymore. That is pretty cool for laptops being
used in different locations where different shares are available.

Personally, I use the old autofs/automount because it supports wildcard
automounting:
https://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/leap/reference/html/
book.opensuse.reference/cha.autofs.html#sec.autofs.advanced.wildcards

Gruß
 Jan
--
Enough research will tend to support your theory.

Re: Automounting after bringing network up

Roger Oberholtzer-2
On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 11:17 AM, Jan Ritzerfeld
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Since you already started editing fstab, you could try systemd automount by
> adding(!) the following options:
> noauto,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.idle-timeout=60,nofail
> Then, systemd will mount your share only when needed and will automatically
> unmount it if you don't use it anymore. That is pretty cool for laptops being
> used in different locations where different shares are available.

Interesting. In what openSUSE release did this become available?

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Am Freitag, 16. Juni 2017, 12:01:32 CEST schrieb Roger Oberholtzer:
> On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 11:17 AM, Jan Ritzerfeld
>
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > [x-systemd.automount]
> Interesting. In what openSUSE release did this become available?

Looks like in the 12.1 release from 2011:
https://news.opensuse.org/2011/12/22/systemd-%E2%80%93-boot-faster-and-cleaner-with-opensuse-12-1/

Gruß
 Jan
--
Character is what you know you are, not what others think you are.

On 2017-06-16 11:17, Jan Ritzerfeld wrote:

> Since you already started editing fstab, you could try systemd automount by
> adding(!) the following options:
> noauto,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.idle-timeout=60,nofail
> Then, systemd will mount your share only when needed and will automatically
> unmount it if you don't use it anymore. That is pretty cool for laptops being
> used in different locations where different shares are available.

Wow. This is interesting.

man mount:

       x-*    All options prefixed with "x-"  are  inter-
              preted as comments or as userspace applica-
              tion-specific options.  These  options  are
              not  stored  in  the mtab file, nor sent to
              the mount.type helpers nor to the  mount(2)
              system  call.   The  suggested format is x-
              appname.option (e.g. x-systemd.automount).

So, where are these documented?

Am Freitag, 16. Juni 2017, 13:15:54 CEST schrieb Carlos E. R.:
> [...]
> So, where are these documented?

Ah, sorry, I forgot to mention
man systemd.mount
and
man systemd.automount

Gruß
 Jan
--
If she's Snow White, then I must be Grumpy.

Re: Automounting after bringing network up

Per Jessen
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 11:17 AM, Jan Ritzerfeld
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Since you already started editing fstab, you could try systemd
>> automount by adding(!) the following options:
>> noauto,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.idle-timeout=60,nofail
>> Then, systemd will mount your share only when needed and will
>> automatically unmount it if you don't use it anymore. That is pretty
>> cool for laptops being used in different locations where different
>> shares are available.
>
> Interesting. In what openSUSE release did this become available?

The old automount has been around for a long time, the systemd variety
is newish.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (23.8°C)
http://www.dns24.ch/ - free dynamic DNS, made in Switzerland.