Automatic Update Checking

Ralf Ronneburger
Hi everyone,

as unfortunately fou4s is not maintained any more I'm looking for a
program / script to automatically check for updates on OpenSuSE 10.2 /
10.3 and send an email-notification about new updates.

As far as I can see the only option YOU has is to automatically install
updates. I'd rather have my box check for updates automatically (via
cron) and send an email if there are any updates available. With fou4s
this was really comfortable. Has anyone set up something similar with
zypper, yum or one of the other update-tools?

Greetings,

Ralf

Re: Automatic Update Checking

Armin Schoech
Hi Ralf,

> as unfortunately fou4s is not maintained any more I'm looking for a
> program / script to automatically check for updates on OpenSuSE 10.2 /
> 10.3 and send an email-notification about new updates.

--> maybe its not maintained any more but it still works with
openSuSE 10.2 and 10.3.

For openSuSE 10.2 you can use:

Server=http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/ftp.suse.com/suse
CheckFou4s=1

For openSuSE 10.3, the latter option is not working any more. But it
works nicely for me with:

Server=http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse
CheckFou4s=0

Good luck !
Armin

--
Am Hasenberg 26         office: Institut für Atmosphärenphysik
D-18209 Bad Doberan             Schloss-Straße 6
Email: [hidden email]     Tel. +49-(0)38293-68-102
WWW: http://armins.cjb.net/     Fax. +49-(0)38293-68-50

Re: Automatic Update Checking

Marcus Meissner
On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 03:52:41PM +0100, Ralf Ronneburger wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> as unfortunately fou4s is not maintained any more I'm looking for a
> program / script to automatically check for updates on OpenSuSE 10.2 /
> 10.3 and send an email-notification about new updates.
>
> As far as I can see the only option YOU has is to automatically install
> updates. I'd rather have my box check for updates automatically (via
> cron) and send an email if there are any updates available. With fou4s
> this was really comfortable. Has anyone set up something similar with
> zypper, yum or one of the other update-tools?

I would say that you can run in the script:

        zypper lu

Ciao, Marcus

Re: Automatic Update Checking

Ralf Ronneburger
Hi Marcus,

Marcus Meissner wrote:
> I would say that you can run in the script:
>
> zypper lu
>
> Ciao, Marcus

but then I'll get an email every time the script runs, not only when new
updates are available... Is there an option to make zypper quiet enough
to not produce any output if there are no updates? zypper -q lu does not
seem to do the job, it still outputs all the repositories it checks.

Greetings,

Ralf

Re: Automatic Update Checking

Bugzilla from andreas.bolsch@alumni.tu-berlin.de
Then

  zypper lu | grep 'keyword'

should do the job, simply look at the output
from any zypper run where some packages had been updated and take a suitable
word/phrase from the lines you'd like to receive as 'keyword' or take a suitable
regexp.

Andreas

Ralf Ronneburger wrote:

> Hi Marcus,
>
> Marcus Meissner wrote:
>> I would say that you can run in the script:
>>
>> zypper lu
>>
>> Ciao, Marcus
>
> but then I'll get an email every time the script runs, not only when new
> updates are available... Is there an option to make zypper quiet enough
> to not produce any output if there are no updates? zypper -q lu does not
> seem to do the job, it still outputs all the repositories it checks.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Ralf

Andreas.Bolsch.vcf (325 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Automatic Update Checking

Werner Flamme

Re: Automatic Update Checking

Christian Boltz-7

Am Dienstag, 13. November 2007 schrieb Ralf Ronneburger:
> as unfortunately fou4s is not maintained any more I'm looking for a
> program / script to automatically check for updates on OpenSuSE 10.2
> / 10.3 and send an email-notification about new updates.
[...]
> Has anyone set up
> something similar with zypper, yum or one of the other update-tools?

I have written such a tool, based on zypp-checkpatches-wrapper output
and a XSLT stylesheet. Seems I'm not the only one who needs this
feature - and the XSLT headache wasn't for /dev/null ;-)

You can download it from the buildservice ("patch2mail" in home:cboltz)
or directly from http://software.opensuse.org/search?q=patch2mail
Make sure to choose the correct distribution, there are some changes
between 10.2 and 10.3.

Usage is very simple: just install the RPM :-)
It comes with the script in /etc/cron.daily and sends the mail to root.

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
Hmm ... Du meinst das RamA ... Das macht das Frühstück gut ... denn
wenn Du RamA verwendest, dann meckert die Frau nicht, wenn Du schon

Re: Automatic Update Checking

Ralf Ronneburger
Hi Christian,

Christian Boltz wrote:
> I have written such a tool, based on zypp-checkpatches-wrapper output
> and a XSLT stylesheet. Seems I'm not the only one who needs this
> feature - and the XSLT headache wasn't for /dev/null ;-)
>
> You can download it from the buildservice ("patch2mail" in home:cboltz)
> or directly from http://software.opensuse.org/search?q=patch2mail
> Make sure to choose the correct distribution, there are some changes
> between 10.2 and 10.3.

thanks a lot! That's exactly what I've been looking for.

Greetings,

Ralf

Re: Automatic Update Checking

Markus Gaugusch

Fou4s is not maintained a lot at the moment, but I'm about to get some
time to work on it again. As mentioned, it works with 10.3 using the url
below. CheckFou4s=0 should not be necessary any more, I just fixed the
link on my server to allow 10.3 updates.

Markus