Anyone using a Powermac G5?

Larry Stotler
Is anyone using openSUSE on a Powermac G5?  I have an original 2003
Dual 2.0Ghz with 8GB RAM.

I haven't had any luck getting it to install, but I haven't had the
time to look into it.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanx

Re: Anyone using a Powermac G5?

Tony Jones
On 04/21/2017 05:53 PM, Larry Stotler wrote:
> Is anyone using openSUSE on a Powermac G5?  I have an original 2003
> Dual 2.0Ghz with 8GB RAM.
>
> I haven't had any luck getting it to install, but I haven't had the
> time to look into it.
>
> Any tips would be appreciated.
>
> Thanx

Hi Larry.

I also have a G5.   4 core.  PPC970MP @2.5ghz with GeForce 6600.  I just now tried to install latest Tumbleweed, it's been several years since I last tried to mess with openSUSE on ppc64.

I get as far as udev starting, it seems to try to perform a modeset and locks up (at least vcons switching doen't work) and monitor goes into power save.   I tried forcing nomodeset in linuxrc but no difference.  Same if I try recovery vs installation.

The graphics card has always been an issue with openSUSE/ppc64 but has always worked fine in SLES (I just booted SLE11SP4 to get above hwinfo).  Obviously I can't install anything newer in terms of SLES.

So sorry I can't be of any help but I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions to get the installer to progress further.

Tony

Re: Anyone using a Powermac G5?

Andreas Schwab
On Jun 13 2017, Tony Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So sorry I can't be of any help but I'm curious if anyone has any
> suggestions to get the installer to progress further.

Try using textmode install.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, [hidden email]
GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5

On 06/13/2017 01:15 PM, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> On Jun 13 2017, Tony Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> So sorry I can't be of any help but I'm curious if anyone has any
>> suggestions to get the installer to progress further.
>
> Try using textmode install.
>
> Andreas.

I tried textmode=1 appended to cmdline,  made no difference either.

I'm editing the grub2 entry for installation,  appending "textmode=1" after linux and booting with ctrl-x.
Same for nomodeset.

Re: Anyone using a Powermac G5?

Andreas Schwab
On Jun 13 2017, Tony Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I tried textmode=1 appended to cmdline,  made no difference either.

Perhaps you also need to block loading any framebuffer modules.

Andreas.

On 06/13/2017 03:21 PM, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> On Jun 13 2017, Tony Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I tried textmode=1 appended to cmdline,  made no difference either.
>
> Perhaps you also need to block loading any framebuffer modules.

I've tried various permutations of this.   Maybe not the right ones, or maybe they are not taking?

I'm editing in grub2 as per this:   https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4f6QpD8ItHyRTVuTG9CUGRfWGc/view
Then ctrl-x to boot.

It's definitely trying to do something graphics related as the screen blanks and flickers but then as I
said the power saver kicks in.

Tony

Re: Anyone using a Powermac G5?

Andreas Schwab
On Jun 13 2017, Tony Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm editing in grub2 as per this:   https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4f6QpD8ItHyRTVuTG9CUGRfWGc/view

There is no vesafb on PowerMac.

> It's definitely trying to do something graphics related as the screen blanks and flickers but then as I
> said the power saver kicks in.

Have you tried booting the kernel in your sles11 installation?

Andreas.

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 4:06 PM, Tony Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I also have a G5.   4 core.  PPC970MP @2.5ghz with GeForce 6600.  I just now tried to install latest Tumbleweed, it's been several years since I last tried to mess with openSUSE on ppc64.
>
> I get as far as udev starting, it seems to try to perform a modeset and locks up (at least vcons switching doen't work) and monitor goes into power save.   I tried forcing nomodeset in linuxrc but no difference.  Same if I try recovery vs installation.
>
> The graphics card has always been an issue with openSUSE/ppc64 but has always worked fine in SLES (I just booted SLE11SP4 to get above hwinfo).  Obviously I can't install anything newer in terms of SLES.
>
> So sorry I can't be of any help but I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions to get the installer to progress further.

Last time I tried I think I could get the installer to come up.  I
also THINK I have a radeon in mine.  I won't be able to check till the
weekend.

It's ended up on the back burner for me.  Just haven't had the time.
It's a shame it just sits there since it's a pretty powerful machine
even though it's about 14 years old.  I could use OS X  Leopard and
TenFourFox, but I'd rather not use such an out of date OS on-line.  I
have a workpad Z50 that has WinCE v2.11 but I don't use it on-line
unless I boot into NetBSD on it.

Re: Anyone using a Powermac G5?

Jonathan Haack
How are you booting the installer?  CD/DVD or on a flash drive via open firmware?

oemb1905

> On Apr 21, 2017, at 6:53 PM, Larry Stotler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is anyone using openSUSE on a Powermac G5?  I have an original 2003
> Dual 2.0Ghz with 8GB RAM.
>
> I haven't had any luck getting it to install, but I haven't had the
> time to look into it.
>
> Any tips would be appreciated.
>
> Thanx

Re: Anyone using a Powermac G5?

Jonathan Haack
Also, what bs=1X setting are you using to dd the .iso?

JMH

> On Jun 14, 2017, at 11:27 PM, Jonathan Haack <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> How are you booting the installer?  CD/DVD or on a flash drive via open firmware?
>
> oemb1905
>
>> On Apr 21, 2017, at 6:53 PM, Larry Stotler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Is anyone using openSUSE on a Powermac G5?  I have an original 2003
>> Dual 2.0Ghz with 8GB RAM.
>>
>> I haven't had any luck getting it to install, but I haven't had the
>> time to look into it.
>>
>> Any tips would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanx

Re: Anyone using a Powermac G5?

Larry Stotler
On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 1:32 AM, Jonathan Haack
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Also, what bs=1X setting are you using to dd the .iso?

I think I just burned it on my x64 server with K3b.  I will pull the
newest iso and see what happens this weekend.

Re: Anyone using a Powermac G5?

Larry Stotler
On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 1:27 AM, Jonathan Haack
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> How are you booting the installer?  CD/DVD or on a flash drive via open firmware?

onboard  DVD.

On 06/14/2017 12:11 AM, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> On Jun 13 2017, Tony Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Have you tried booting the kernel in your sles11 installation?

Based on the mkinitrd < 2.7.1 and !suse-module-tools errors I was expecting to have to pull the rpm apart manually on SLE but it installed ok with --nodeps

Booting, same issue as on install.  turns out to boot I needed both 'nomodeset' and 'nouveau.noaccel=1'.  however these options didn't work with the install kernel, it's possible the input I'm making to grub2 config interactively is being discarded? I can't tell.

Booting the kernel over sle userspace,  there is a weird bug,  first time keyboard was barely working,  missed characters, then endlessly repeating chars (X or vcons).  Unplugging and reconnecting reinstalling the USB keyboard worked.   second boot doing this locked up machine.

Anyways I suppose ^^^ is progress of a kind ... though now the machine has started doing the no chime at power on thing.

tony

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Also, what bs=1X setting are you using to dd the .iso?

I recently used K3b under TDE(Trinity Desktop) on my Thinkpad using 13.2

>> On Jun 14, 2017, at 11:27 PM, Jonathan Haack <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> How are you booting the installer?  CD/DVD or on a flash drive via open firmware?

I recently booted one of the newest iso files(May I think?) on my G5
with the onboard DVD.  I did not do the install tho.  Haven't had
time.  My G5 has 8GB DDR400.

Re: Anyone using a Powermac G5?

Linus Walleij
On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 8:57 AM, Larry Stotler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 1:32 AM, Jonathan Haack
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Also, what bs=1X setting are you using to dd the .iso?
>
> I recently used K3b under TDE(Trinity Desktop) on my Thinkpad using 13.2
>
>>> On Jun 14, 2017, at 11:27 PM, Jonathan Haack <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> How are you booting the installer?  CD/DVD or on a flash drive via open firmware?
>
> I recently booted one of the newest iso files(May I think?) on my G5
> with the onboard DVD.  I did not do the install tho.  Haven't had
> time.  My G5 has 8GB DDR400.

I booted a openSuSE tumbleweed DVD from the day before yesterday.

I ran into the problem I have addressed by the kernel patch cross-posted
to this list: the CONFIG_WINDFARM_PM72 is not set in the config
for the installer kernel, so the fan controller first sound like an airplane
and then shuts down the system.

I hope either this can be fixed in the default kernel config or that my
kernel patch gets applied so it is fixed for everyone.

I previously have Debian Jessie installed on this machine, which works
but Debian has dropped support for PPC and it is not getting graphics
though all text consoles come up fine. Apart from that kernel v4.12 works
fine.

I was meaning to troubleshoot the graphics problem by getting an up-to-date
system with openSuSE when I ran into the above.

Yours,
Linus Walleij

Re: Anyone using a Powermac G5?

Larry Stotler
On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 12:56 PM, Linus Walleij
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I booted a openSuSE tumbleweed DVD from the day before yesterday.
>
> I ran into the problem I have addressed by the kernel patch cross-posted
> to this list: the CONFIG_WINDFARM_PM72 is not set in the config
> for the installer kernel, so the fan controller first sound like an airplane
> and then shuts down the system.

Which G5 do you have?  Mine does not do that(that I have noticed).  I
have the original Dual processor 2.0Ghz machine.