Another laptop question

TobyEggitt
Strange question, but does anyone know if I can install open suse onto an Apple laptop? MacBook or MacBook Pro? Can I get it to dual-boot with OS-X? Anything I should know if I do that?

Cheers,
Simon

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions." — Naguib Mahfouz

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Another laptop question

Randall Schulz
Simon,

On Thursday 09 November 2006 06:09, Simon Roberts wrote:
> Strange question, but does anyone know if I can install open suse
> onto an Apple laptop? MacBook or MacBook Pro? Can I get it to
> dual-boot with OS-X? Anything I should know if I do that?

I believe you can run it on the Intel Mac hardware. (I know little about
it, but have noticed a few remarks on the openSUSE-Factory and
openSUSE-Bugs lists that make me think this.) As for dual boot, I'd
look at the so-called BootCamp software from Apple. It's primarily
meant for running Windows on Macs, but the partitioning and boot
configuration is probably applicable. Naturally, the Windows drivers,
with the possible exception of drivers for the wireless LAN hardware,
are not useful under Linux.

For more information, look on the <http://www.opensuse.org/> Web site
and / or subscribe to [hidden email] and / or
[hidden email].

> Cheers,
> Simon

Randall Schulz

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Another laptop question

kj-12
On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 06:09 -0800, Simon Roberts wrote:
> Strange question, but does anyone know if I can install open suse onto
> an Apple laptop? MacBook or MacBook Pro? Can I get it to dual-boot
> with OS-X? Anything I should know if I do that?

I don't know about SUSE yet (I don't really follow the OpenSUSE list,
and I'm not even subscribed to Factory), but I can tell you this:

It's early days for Linux on the Intel Macs - mostly because of the EFI
bootloader, not so much the hardware itself.  But it's going well and
according to this page Fedora Core 6 is Mac ready:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/24/redhat_fedora_core6/

Hans

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]