Announcing free software graphics drivers for Intel i965 chipset

Announcing free software graphics drivers for Intel i965 chipset

Keith Packard
The Intel Open Source Technology Center graphics team is pleased to announce
the immediate availability of free software drivers for the Intel® 965
Express Chipset family graphics controller. These drivers include support
for 2D and 3D graphics features for the newest generation Intel graphics
architecture. The project Web site is http://IntelLinuxGraphics.org.

This release represents the start of a long term effort by Intel to work
with the X.org and Mesa communities to continuously improve and enhance
the drivers.  While these drivers represent significant work at both
Tungsten Graphics and Intel, as our first release of this code, they're
still in need of significant testing, tuning and bug fixing before
they'll be ready for production use. We're releasing them now to
demonstrate our ongoing commitment to providing free software drivers
for Intel hardware.

The Intel® 965 Express Chipset represents the first product family that
implements fourth generation Intel graphics architecture. Designed to
support advanced rendering features in modern graphics APIs, this chipset
family includes support for programmable vertex, geometry, and fragment
shaders. By open sourcing the drivers for this new technology, Intel enables
the open source community to experiment, develop, and contribute to the
continuing advancement of open source 3D graphics.

We would like to especially thank our partners at Tungsten Graphics - Alan
Hourihane and Keith Whitwell - for developing the new 3D driver and enhancing
the 2D driver to support the new hardware.

Intel has assembled a team within the Open Source Technology Center to
manage Intel graphics driver development going forward:

Development

        Eric Anholt <[hidden email]>
        Guangdeng Liao <[hidden email]>
        Keith Packard <[hidden email]>
        Zhenyu Wang <[hidden email]>

Testing

        Gordon Jin <[hidden email]>
        Shuang He <[hidden email]>
        Wang Wei <[hidden email]>
        Weiliang Chong <[hidden email]>
        Wu Nian <[hidden email]>

Following the release of this driver, future work will continue in the
public X.org and Mesa project source code repositories. The project Web site,
http://IntelLinuxGraphics.org, will serve as the central site for users of
Intel graphics hardware in open source operating systems.

Re: Announcing free software graphics drivers for Intel i965 chipset

Manfred Tremmel
Am Mittwoch, 9. August 2006 21:31 schrieb Keith Packard:

> The Intel Open Source Technology Center graphics team is pleased to
> announce the immediate availability of free software drivers for the
> Intel® 965 Express Chipset family graphics controller. These drivers
> include support for 2D and 3D graphics features for the newest
> generation Intel graphics architecture. The project Web site is
> http://IntelLinuxGraphics.org.

Thank you for your Linux engagement. The free graphic driver was the
reason I allways prefered Intel CPU's, Chipsets and GPU's. AMD builds
good processors, but there is no way to to find a modern graphics
controller which is fully usable with free drivers.
So please keep on going this way and I'll keep on buying your
products :-)

--
Machs gut    | http://www.iivs.de/schwinde/buerger/tremmel/
             | http://packman.links2linux.de/
Manfred      | http://www.knightsoft-net.de

Re: Announcing free software graphics drivers for Intel i965 chipset

Eberhard Moenkeberg
Hi,

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Manfred Tremmel wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 9. August 2006 21:31 schrieb Keith Packard:

>> The Intel Open Source Technology Center graphics team is pleased to
>> announce the immediate availability of free software drivers for the
>> Intel® 965 Express Chipset family graphics controller. These drivers
>> include support for 2D and 3D graphics features for the newest
>> generation Intel graphics architecture. The project Web site is
>> http://IntelLinuxGraphics.org.
>
> Thank you for your Linux engagement. The free graphic driver was the
> reason I allways prefered Intel CPU's, Chipsets and GPU's. AMD builds
> good processors, but there is no way to to find a modern graphics
> controller which is fully usable with free drivers.
Yust wait a little. AMD has bought ATI, and the brand ATI will disappear.
I personally have a very good feeling about AMD's position regarding
OpenSource.

> So please keep on going this way and I'll keep on buying your
> products :-)

Yes, Keith, keep on your good way, but I guess you will get new fellows
soon. ;-))

Cheers -e
--
Eberhard Moenkeberg ([hidden email], [hidden email])

Re: Announcing free software graphics drivers for Intel i965 chipset

Hans-Peter Jansen-2
Am Mittwoch, 9. August 2006 22:20 schrieb Manfred Tremmel:

> Am Mittwoch, 9. August 2006 21:31 schrieb Keith Packard:
> > The Intel Open Source Technology Center graphics team is pleased to
> > announce the immediate availability of free software drivers for
> > the Intel® 965 Express Chipset family graphics controller. These
> > drivers include support for 2D and 3D graphics features for the
> > newest generation Intel graphics architecture. The project Web site
> > is http://IntelLinuxGraphics.org.
>
> Thank you for your Linux engagement. The free graphic driver was the
> reason I allways prefered Intel CPU's, Chipsets and GPU's. AMD builds
> good processors, but there is no way to to find a modern graphics
> controller which is fully usable with free drivers.

Well, those machines are especially useful, if the residences heating is
underdimensioned. Manfred, I know, the temperature in bavaria is below
german average, but is it really _that_ low in your house? Electrical
heating is pretty expensive in the long run ;-)

I know, that the successor of the netburst CPU architecture ('core'?)
has fixed this issue.

SCR,
Pete (who still uses AMD CPUs with dreadful (when it comes to 3D) matrox
GPUs in most systems)

Re: Announcing free software graphics drivers for Intel i965 chipset

Silviu Marin-Caea-2
On Wednesday 09 August 2006 22:31, Keith Packard wrote:
> The Intel Open Source Technology Center graphics team is pleased to
> announce the immediate availability of free software drivers for the Intel®
> 965 Express Chipset family graphics controller. These drivers include
> support for 2D and 3D graphics features for the newest generation Intel
> graphics architecture. The project Web site is
> http://IntelLinuxGraphics.org.

This is extraordinary!  I know that Intel had opensource drivers before, but
unfortunately the cards were too low spec.

> The Intel® 965 Express Chipset represents the first product family that
> implements fourth generation Intel graphics architecture. Designed to
> support advanced rendering features in modern graphics APIs, this chipset
> family includes support for programmable vertex, geometry, and fragment
> shaders. By open sourcing the drivers for this new technology, Intel
> enables the open source community to experiment, develop, and contribute to
> the continuing advancement of open source 3D graphics.

Programmable vertex, geometry, and fragment shaders sound very good.  I'll
definitely find out more about this new generation of video cards from Intel.

If Intel is the first vendor who "gets" open source in the video arena, it's
scoring big points.

Re: Announcing free software graphics drivers for Intel i965 chipset

Dominique Leuenberger-2

>>> [hidden email] 09-08-2006 22:31 >>>
>Following the release of this driver, future work will continue in
the
>public X.org and Mesa project source code repositories. The project
Web site,
>http://IntelLinuxGraphics.org, will serve as the central site for
users of
>Intel graphics hardware in open source operating systems.
>
>--
>[hidden email]

This can be a good reason to reconsider buying an Intel Graphic Card. I
once had an i810 based one, but the performance was quiet low (even for
this time) and support in Linux was also 'avarage'.

If this driver / card combination is powerful enough, then there is one
more to be considered besides nVidia and ATI (probably the only one's
really usable at this time in Linux).

And an Open Source driver makes Intel succeed over the other
companies!

Congratulations and thank you for these information.

Dominique

TMF is a global management and accounting outsourcing firm with 65 offices in 51 countries and over 1,600 professionals (July 2006). TMF is expanding rapidly throughout the world. Learn more about our unique
network and our services and visit our website at www.tmf-group.com.

The information contained in this e-mail communication is confidential and solely intended for the person to whom it is addressed. If someone other than the intended recipient should receive or come into possession of this e-mail communication, he/she will not be entitled to read, disseminate, disclose or duplicate it. If you are not the intended recipient, you are requested to notify the sender and to destroy the original e-mail communication.
TMF is neither liable for the correct and complete transmission of the information contained in this e-mail communication nor for any delay in its receipt.  This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked for the presence of computer viruses.

Dominique

Am Donnerstag, 10. August 2006 09:33 schrieb Silviu Marin-Caea:

> On Wednesday 09 August 2006 22:31, Keith Packard wrote:
>
> > The Intel® 965 Express Chipset represents the first product family
> > that implements fourth generation Intel graphics architecture.
> > Designed to support advanced rendering features in modern graphics
> > APIs, this chipset family includes support for programmable vertex,
> > geometry, and fragment shaders. By open sourcing the drivers for
> > this new technology, Intel enables the open source community to
> > experiment, develop, and contribute to the continuing advancement
> > of open source 3D graphics.
>
> Programmable vertex, geometry, and fragment shaders sound very good.
> I'll definitely find out more about this new generation of video
> cards from Intel.
>
> If Intel is the first vendor who "gets" open source in the video
> arena, it's scoring big points.

Unfortunately, they typically bundle there stuff in a way, that you
cannot opt for buying such a AGP/PCI-E graphics card, you're forced to
buy those motherboards, which carry them. Same goes for wireless
chipset ipw2200, for what is worth it.

With this kind of politics, Intel successfully prevented me from getting
a first class supporter of their products. OTOH, I'm pretty committed
to their e1000 nics (although they try hard to get rid of me with very
fast product cycles, occasionally unstable drivers, funny behavior in
certain systems and the like..).

Pete

Re: Announcing free software graphics drivers for Intel i965 chipset

Philipp Thomas
* Silviu Marin-Caea ([hidden email]) [20060810 09:33]:

> Programmable vertex, geometry, and fragment shaders sound very good.  I'll
> definitely find out more about this new generation of video cards from
> Intel.

Keep in mind that these GPUs are part of the chipset, so you only get them
as a new motherbord.

Philipp

Am Mittwoch, 9. August 2006 23:11 schrieb Hans-Peter Jansen:

> Well, those machines are especially useful, if the residences heating
> is underdimensioned. Manfred, I know, the temperature in bavaria is
> below german average, but is it really _that_ low in your house?
> Electrical heating is pretty expensive in the long run ;-)

Gna, I never was a fan of the Pentium IV, never had one, and never want
to have a computer burning so much energy. Since Pentium III was
outdated, I didn't see a interesting IA32 CPU since Pentium M was born.
Not from Inteland also not from AMD. I don't see a reason to buy a
desktop system anymore, my Centrino Notebook is fast enough for
everything I'm doing (including the packman package compiling). 15
Watt/h for reading E-Mails is enough (for the complete computer) and I
hope LCDs will be replaced by OLEDs in near future to reduce it once
again.

> I know, that the successor of the netburst CPU architecture ('core'?)
> has fixed this issue.

And it's realy time this issue has been fixed.

Am Mittwoch, 9. August 2006 22:43 schrieb Eberhard Moenkeberg:

> Yust wait a little. AMD has bought ATI, and the brand ATI will
> disappear. I personally have a very good feeling about AMD's position
> regarding OpenSource.

I hope so. Last time we've got some bad news from ATI:
http://www.pro-linux.de/news/2006/10019.html
but maybe something changes:
http://www.pro-linux.de/news/2006/10078.html