Alt-F2 even more screwed up KDE on 42.3

James Knott
I while ago, I started a thread about how pressing Alt-F2# etc. no
longer opened a man page.  Now even Alt-F2 Man:/ no longer works.
Instead of the man page opening, I get a blank Seamonkey window.  In
addition, something like google.com now opens up Gwenview, instead of
going the web site.  I now have to specify www.google.com.  I wish the
devs would quit trying to fix something that's not broken.  All they're
doing is breaking things.

Re: Alt-F2 even more screwed up KDE on 42.3

Felix Miata-3
James Knott composed on 2017-08-12 13:49 (UTC-0400):

> I while ago, I started a thread about how pressing Alt-F2# etc. no
> longer opened a man page.  Now even Alt-F2 Man:/ no longer works.

Maybe this is a question better asked in opensuse-kde?

I get man:/ in a Konq window typing either Alt-F2 # or man:/ in Alt-F2, both in
TW Plasma, 42.3 KDE3, and 42.3 TDE. (No Plasma on any Leap here)

> Instead of the man page opening, I get a blank Seamonkey window.  In
> addition, something like google.com now opens up Gwenview, instead of
> going the web site.  I now have to specify www.google.com.
When I click the SM icon to the right of its urlbar, I get Google's home page:

http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/Moz/smGoogleGoop0445.jpg

That feature has been in it since long before it Mozilla Suite was renamed to
SeaMonkey, probably back to even before Moz 0.94, which was around the time I
switched from Netscape 4 to it. In about:config it's browser.throbber.url.

When I type in the box to the right of "Help", I get the same results as using
the search box on www.google.com.

> I wish the
> devs would quit trying to fix something that's not broken.  All they're
> doing is breaking things.
I hope you're not blaming the SM devs or Wolfgang. The FF devs are devoted to
constantly overhauling everything, overwhelming the severely limited supply of
SM devs and testers with changes that must be accommodated just to keep SM
building. I do what little I can by always keeping some pre-release version of
SM running a browser window and a CZ window, using it to triage and bug
follow-up as situations dictate, in addition to running whatever release version
of SM is my primary browser and email.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

On 08/12/2017 05:12 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
> I get man:/ in a Konq window typing either Alt-F2 # or man:/ in Alt-F2, both in
> TW Plasma, 42.3 KDE3, and 42.3 TDE. (No Plasma on any Leap here)

That's the way it used to work, prior to moving to Leap.

Even when I use # for a man page and a list of things to do opens, when
I select the one that says "Go to man:/ping", I get Seamonkey again.
This is something that used to work so well, before it was "improved".

Re: Alt-F2 even more screwed up KDE on 42.3

David C. Rankin
On 08/12/2017 04:21 PM, James Knott wrote:
> That's the way it used to work, prior to moving to Leap.
>
> Even when I use # for a man page and a list of things to do opens, when
> I select the one that says "Go to man:/ping", I get Seamonkey again.
> This is something that used to work so well, before it was "improved".

That probably needs filing against plasma. There has been a lot of changes to
konqueror and the kioslaves. The # was working in plasma 8 months ago, but
that was before the complete rewrite from 4 to plasma.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.