Almost Did It!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Almost Did It!

PerfectReign
After weeks of trying, I almost beat 6:00:00 on five laps of On the Beach on
Super Tux Cart at Racer level...

http://donutmonster.com/stuff/2007/20070210_tuxkart_6006.jpg

...and they say SUSE has no games worth playing!

I suppose I should get back to work now. I'm supposed to be debugging a bunch
of SQL Server stored procs....


--
kai

Free Compean and Ramos
http://www.perfectreign.com/?q=node/46
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Almost Did It!

Mike-207
On Saturday 10 February 2007 14:30, Kai Ponte wrote:
> After weeks of trying, I almost beat 6:00:00 on five laps of On the
> Beach on Super Tux Cart at Racer level...
>
> http://donutmonster.com/stuff/2007/20070210_tuxkart_6006.jpg
>
> ...and they say SUSE has no games worth playing!
>
> I suppose I should get back to work now. I'm supposed to be debugging
> a bunch of SQL Server stored procs....

No!! Tux cart is much more important. I can't get below 8, but haven't
played in a while.. ;-)

Mike
--
Powered by SuSE 10.0 Kernel 2.6.13 X86_64 KDE 3.4 Kmail 1.8
  4:10pm  up   9:35,  3 users,  load average: 2.06, 2.21, 2.20
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Almost Did It!

PerfectReign
On Saturday 10 February 2007 07:11, Mike wrote:

> On Saturday 10 February 2007 14:30, Kai Ponte wrote:
> > After weeks of trying, I almost beat 6:00:00 on five laps of On the
> > Beach on Super Tux Cart at Racer level...
> >
> > http://donutmonster.com/stuff/2007/20070210_tuxkart_6006.jpg
> >
> > ...and they say SUSE has no games worth playing!
> >
> > I suppose I should get back to work now. I'm supposed to be debugging
> > a bunch of SQL Server stored procs....
>
> No!! Tux cart is much more important.

Bwahahahaha!  

I'll be sure and mention that to upper management when they're wondering if
the $11.8M we took in this month is correctly assigned to the right accounts
in my system. :P

> I can't get below 8, but haven't
> played in a while.. ;-)

It is a great stress reliever - particularly when your SQL Server replication
isn't working for some reason.


--
kai

Free Compean and Ramos
http://www.perfectreign.com/?q=node/46
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Almost Did It!

Fajar Priyanto-2
In reply to this post by PerfectReign
On Saturday 10 February 2007 20:30, Kai Ponte wrote:
> After weeks of trying, I almost beat 6:00:00 on five laps of On the Beach
> on Super Tux Cart at Racer level...
>
> http://donutmonster.com/stuff/2007/20070210_tuxkart_6006.jpg
>
> ...and they say SUSE has no games worth playing!

I cannot seem to be able to find Super Tux Cart in my SLED10. I've checked the
Yast. Is it only on OpenSuse?
--
Fajar Priyanto | Reg'd Linux User #327841 | Linux tutorial
http://linux2.arinet.org
10:18am up 2:12, 2.6.16.21-0.8-default GNU/Linux
Let's use OpenOffice. http://www.openoffice.org

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Almost Did It!

Fajar Priyanto-2
On Sunday 11 February 2007 10:19, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> I cannot seem to be able to find Super Tux Cart in my SLED10. I've checked
> the Yast. Is it only on OpenSuse?

Thank you Ben Kevan for pointing out the rpm. But, I just download the rpm and
not adding 10.1 as repository because I'm afraid it will conflict with SLED
repo?

So I did a manual installation:
fajar101:/home/fajar/Documents/source # rpm -ivh
supertuxkart-0.2.0-1.1.i586.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
        libplibfnt.so.0 is needed by supertuxkart-0.2.0-1.1.i586
        libplibjs.so.0 is needed by supertuxkart-0.2.0-1.1.i586
        libplibpu.so.0 is needed by supertuxkart-0.2.0-1.1.i586
        libplibpw.so.0 is needed by supertuxkart-0.2.0-1.1.i586
        libplibsg.so.0 is needed by supertuxkart-0.2.0-1.1.i586
        libplibsl.so.0 is needed by supertuxkart-0.2.0-1.1.i586
        libplibssg.so.0 is needed by supertuxkart-0.2.0-1.1.i586
        libplibssgaux.so.0 is needed by supertuxkart-0.2.0-1.1.i586
        libplibul.so.0 is needed by supertuxkart-0.2.0-1.1.i586

Where can I find the dependencies? Seems like I cannot find it in Yast (DVD).

--
Fajar Priyanto | Reg'd Linux User #327841 | Linux tutorial
http://linux2.arinet.org
11:32am up 3:26, 2.6.16.21-0.8-default GNU/Linux
Let's use OpenOffice. http://www.openoffice.org

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Almost Did It!

Fajar Priyanto-2
On Sunday 11 February 2007 11:32, Fajar Priyanto wrote:

> On Sunday 11 February 2007 10:19, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> > I cannot seem to be able to find Super Tux Cart in my SLED10. I've
> > checked the Yast. Is it only on OpenSuse?
>
> Thank you Ben Kevan for pointing out the rpm. But, I just download the rpm
> and not adding 10.1 as repository because I'm afraid it will conflict with
> SLED repo?
>
> So I did a manual installation:
> fajar101:/home/fajar/Documents/source # rpm -ivh
> supertuxkart-0.2.0-1.1.i586.rpm
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         libplibfnt.so.0 is needed by supertuxkart-0.2.0-1.1.i586
>         libplibjs.so.0 is needed by supertuxkart-0.2.0-1.1.i586
>         libplibpu.so.0 is needed by supertuxkart-0.2.0-1.1.i586
>         libplibpw.so.0 is needed by supertuxkart-0.2.0-1.1.i586
>         libplibsg.so.0 is needed by supertuxkart-0.2.0-1.1.i586
>         libplibsl.so.0 is needed by supertuxkart-0.2.0-1.1.i586
>         libplibssg.so.0 is needed by supertuxkart-0.2.0-1.1.i586
>         libplibssgaux.so.0 is needed by supertuxkart-0.2.0-1.1.i586
>         libplibul.so.0 is needed by supertuxkart-0.2.0-1.1.i586
>
> Where can I find the dependencies? Seems like I cannot find it in Yast
> (DVD).
Using rpmfind.net I found plib that provides those packages.
I was ready to play :)
But, then it failed with:
fajar@fajar101:~> supertuxkart
Data files will be fetched from: '/usr/share/games/supertuxkart/'
Config file '/home/fajar/.supertuxkart/config' does not exist, it will be
created.
PW: This is an *INDIRECT* rendering context.PW: That may be bad for
performance.supertuxkart: indirect_vertex_array.c:1359:
__indirect_glTexCoordPointer: Assertion `a != ((void *)0)' failed.
Aborted

Maybe it's because I don't use ATI proprietary driver?

--
Fajar Priyanto | Reg'd Linux User #327841 | Linux tutorial
http://linux2.arinet.org
12:42pm up 4:36, 2.6.16.21-0.8-default GNU/Linux
Let's use OpenOffice. http://www.openoffice.org

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Almost Did It!

JB2-2
In reply to this post by PerfectReign
On Saturday 10 February 2007 07:30, Kai Ponte wrote:

> After weeks of trying, I almost beat 6:00:00 on five laps of On the Beach
> on Super Tux Cart at Racer level...
>
> http://donutmonster.com/stuff/2007/20070210_tuxkart_6006.jpg
>
> ...and they say SUSE has no games worth playing!

  I don't play that game, but I'm always playing Freecell on Pysol, and I
think this is pretty darn good and braggable:

  <http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d148/Pillbottle/kickass.jpg>

  I also had a competition between a friend and I playing Shisen-Sho...after
about 6 months of us going at it, my fastest time was 44 seconds. He kicked
my butt with 32 seconds. I gave up when I saw that, heh. But yeah, my friends
are always jealous that I have so many games to play, even if they aren't
mostly store-bought 3-D stuff.

> Free Compean and Ramos
> http://www.perfectreign.com/?q=node/46

  Damn straight!
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SOLVED: Almost Did It!

Fajar Priyanto-2
In reply to this post by Fajar Priyanto-2
On Sunday 11 February 2007 12:42, Fajar Priyanto wrote:

> > So I did a manual installation:
> > fajar101:/home/fajar/Documents/source # rpm -ivh
> > supertuxkart-0.2.0-1.1.i586.rpm
> > error: Failed dependencies:
> >         libplibfnt.so.0 is needed by supertuxkart-0.2.0-1.1.i586
> >         libplibjs.so.0 is needed by supertuxkart-0.2.0-1.1.i586
> >         libplibpu.so.0 is needed by supertuxkart-0.2.0-1.1.i586
> >         libplibpw.so.0 is needed by supertuxkart-0.2.0-1.1.i586
> >         libplibsg.so.0 is needed by supertuxkart-0.2.0-1.1.i586
> >         libplibsl.so.0 is needed by supertuxkart-0.2.0-1.1.i586
> >         libplibssg.so.0 is needed by supertuxkart-0.2.0-1.1.i586
> >         libplibssgaux.so.0 is needed by supertuxkart-0.2.0-1.1.i586
> >         libplibul.so.0 is needed by supertuxkart-0.2.0-1.1.i586
> >
> > Where can I find the dependencies? Seems like I cannot find it in Yast
> > (DVD).
>
> Using rpmfind.net I found plib that provides those packages.
> I was ready to play :)
> But, then it failed with:
> fajar@fajar101:~> supertuxkart
> Data files will be fetched from: '/usr/share/games/supertuxkart/'
> Config file '/home/fajar/.supertuxkart/config' does not exist, it will be
> created.
> PW: This is an *INDIRECT* rendering context.PW: That may be bad for
> performance.supertuxkart: indirect_vertex_array.c:1359:
> __indirect_glTexCoordPointer: Assertion `a != ((void *)0)' failed.
> Aborted
>
> Maybe it's because I don't use ATI proprietary driver?
After upgrading to the proprietary driver using sax2 and activating the 3D
accellarator, I finally can play it. Cool!

--
Fajar Priyanto | Reg'd Linux User #327841 | Linux tutorial
http://linux2.arinet.org
8:15pm up 0:15, 2.6.16.21-0.8-default GNU/Linux
Let's use OpenOffice. http://www.openoffice.org

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SOLVED: Almost Did It!

PerfectReign
On Sunday 11 February 2007 05:15, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> On Sunday 11 February 2007 12:42, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
<snippage>

> > Maybe it's because I don't use ATI proprietary driver?
>
> After upgrading to the proprietary driver using sax2 and activating the 3D
> accellarator, I finally can play it. Cool!

I wonder why one would need to have a proprietary driver over another one in
order to effecively play a game.

Can someone explain by chance?
--
kai

Free Compean and Ramos
http://www.perfectreign.com/?q=node/46
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Almost Did It!

PerfectReign
In reply to this post by JB2-2
On Sunday 11 February 2007 00:09, JB wrote:

> On Saturday 10 February 2007 07:30, Kai Ponte wrote:
> > After weeks of trying, I almost beat 6:00:00 on five laps of On the Beach
> > on Super Tux Cart at Racer level...
> >
> > http://donutmonster.com/stuff/2007/20070210_tuxkart_6006.jpg
> >
> > ...and they say SUSE has no games worth playing!
>
>   I don't play that game, but I'm always playing Freecell on Pysol, and I
> think this is pretty darn good and braggable:
>
>   <http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d148/Pillbottle/kickass.jpg>

Very nice! (...and I like your filename.>


>   I also had a competition between a friend and I playing
> Shisen-Sho...after about 6 months of us going at it, my fastest time was 44
> seconds. He kicked my butt with 32 seconds. I gave up when I saw that, heh.
> But yeah, my friends are always jealous that I have so many games to play,
> even if they aren't mostly store-bought 3-D stuff.

It is funny - I actually BOUGHT a few games last year for my Win2K system. I
thought they'd be cooler than the OSS stuff I have now....

...how wrong I was.

SUSE includes some very creative and well-played games.
--
kai

Free Compean and Ramos
http://www.perfectreign.com/?q=node/46
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SOLVED: Almost Did It!

Scott Jones-6
In reply to this post by PerfectReign
On Sunday 11 February 2007, Kai Ponte wrote:

> On Sunday 11 February 2007 05:15, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> > On Sunday 11 February 2007 12:42, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
>
> <snippage>
>
> > > Maybe it's because I don't use ATI proprietary driver?
> >
> > After upgrading to the proprietary driver using sax2 and activating the
> > 3D accellarator, I finally can play it. Cool!
>
> I wonder why one would need to have a proprietary driver over another one
> in order to effecively play a game.
>
> Can someone explain by chance?

Supertuxkart and many other games use OpenGL, which requires hardware
acceleration in order to give acceptable performance.  This isn't provided by
the opensource radeon and nv drivers, which use software acceleration, which
sucks even on higher end systems.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]