All openSUSE wikis updated and moved home

All openSUSE wikis updated and moved home

Christian Boltz-5
Dear openSUSE Community,

sometimes plans change while you are working on them ;-)

The plan for yesterday evening was to move and update some of the
localized wikis. Things worked better and faster than expected, and in
the end we moved *all 18 localized wikis* from Provo to Nuremberg and
updated them to MediaWiki 1.27 :-)

This means *all* openSUSE wikis are now running on MediaWiki 1.27 and
support the features announced for the english wiki last week [1].

I didn't have time to change the <feed> tags to the new <rss> tags in
all wikis yet. I'll do that in the next days, but I won't complain if
someone is faster and does it in some of the wikis ;-)
(use the search to find pages containing "<feed", and check
https://en.opensuse.org/Help:RSS_feeds for the <rss> syntax)

For those who are interested in statistics:
- moving 18 wikis in about 6 hours means about 20 minutes per wiki - can
  someone beat this? ;-)
- during the move, we wrote about 500 lines on IRC to coordinate
  everything
- this helped to keep the read-only time of each wiki short - I'd guess
  on average each wiki was read-only for 30 minutes (again, can someone
  beat this? ;-)
- we moved about 10 GB of uploaded files and 1.6 GB of mysql dumps
  from Provo to Nuremberg yesterday (which was sometimes "funny" because
  the server in Provo limits the connection to 10 MBit)

And now - have fun with the updated wikis and the upcoming openSUSE
Leap 42.3!

Regards,

Christian Boltz

[1] https://news.opensuse.org/2017/07/10/english-opensuse-wiki-will-be-updated-and-moved-home/

--
The only reason coders' computers work better than non-coders'
computers is coders know computers are schizophrenic little children

Re: All openSUSE wikis updated and moved home

Maik Wagner
Hello Christian,

Am 19.07.2017 um 00:04 schrieb Christian Boltz:
> And now - have fun with the updated wikis and the upcoming openSUSE
> Leap 42.3!

thanks for the update and the work you and your team put into it.

Maik
--
www.linuxandlanguages.com