Akregator looses feed list

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Akregator looses feed list

Christian Boltz-5
Hello,

since I installed the 20170613 tumbleweed snapshot, Akregator looses/
breaks its feed list. The only good thing is that the error message
mentions the exact filename (~/.local/share/akregator/data/feeds.opml) so
that it's easy to restore from backup ;-)

I had to restore the file twice already. I'm not 100% sure, but I
wouldn't be surprised if the file gets damaged on logout/shutdown.

After restoring feeds.opml, Akregator can be started normally and shows
all my feeds.

Is this a known issue or should I open a bugreport?


Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
> > Meine Patentlösung: Die Sammlung liegt auf einem ext3
> > und eine exakte Kopie davon auf einem reiserfs. :-)
> Und dadurch wird der ext3-Check wodurch schneller?
Ja, Konkurrenz belebt das Geschäft. :-)
[> Peter Wiersig und Ratti in suse-linux]

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Akregator looses feed list

Mathias Homann-2
Am Freitag, 16. Juni 2017, 19:49:37 CEST schrieb Christian Boltz:

> Hello,
>
> since I installed the 20170613 tumbleweed snapshot, Akregator looses/
> breaks its feed list. The only good thing is that the error message
> mentions the exact filename (~/.local/share/akregator/data/feeds.opml) so
> that it's easy to restore from backup ;-)
>
> I had to restore the file twice already. I'm not 100% sure, but I
> wouldn't be surprised if the file gets damaged on logout/shutdown.
>
> After restoring feeds.opml, Akregator can be started normally and shows
> all my feeds.
>
> Is this a known issue or should I open a bugreport?
>
I can confirm this on Leap 42.2 using the latest plasma from KDE:Frameworks5

Cheers
MH

signature.asc (650 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Akregator looses feed list

chanjp
On Saturday, 17 June 2017 01:57:53 +08 Mathias Homann wrote:

> Am Freitag, 16. Juni 2017, 19:49:37 CEST schrieb Christian Boltz:
> > Hello,
> >
> > since I installed the 20170613 tumbleweed snapshot, Akregator looses/
> > breaks its feed list. The only good thing is that the error message
> > mentions the exact filename (~/.local/share/akregator/data/feeds.opml) so
> > that it's easy to restore from backup ;-)
> >
> > I had to restore the file twice already. I'm not 100% sure, but I
> > wouldn't be surprised if the file gets damaged on logout/shutdown.
> >
> > After restoring feeds.opml, Akregator can be started normally and shows
> > all my feeds.
> >
> > Is this a known issue or should I open a bugreport?
>
> I can confirm this on Leap 42.2 using the latest plasma from
KDE:Frameworks5
>
> Cheers
> MH

I lost my entire feed list too. Furthermore, I cannot right click and edit
any of the feeds. Attempts to delete have failed.

signature.asc (235 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Akregator looses feed list

Steven Hess-3
On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 5:12 PM, Chan Ju Ping <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Saturday, 17 June 2017 01:57:53 +08 Mathias Homann wrote:
>> Am Freitag, 16. Juni 2017, 19:49:37 CEST schrieb Christian Boltz:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > since I installed the 20170613 tumbleweed snapshot, Akregator looses/
>> > breaks its feed list. The only good thing is that the error message
>> > mentions the exact filename (~/.local/share/akregator/data/feeds.opml) so
>> > that it's easy to restore from backup ;-)
>> >
>> > I had to restore the file twice already. I'm not 100% sure, but I
>> > wouldn't be surprised if the file gets damaged on logout/shutdown.
>> >
>> > After restoring feeds.opml, Akregator can be started normally and shows
>> > all my feeds.
>> >
>> > Is this a known issue or should I open a bugreport?
>>
>> I can confirm this on Leap 42.2 using the latest plasma from
> KDE:Frameworks5
>>
>> Cheers
>> MH
>
> I lost my entire feed list too. Furthermore, I cannot right click and edit
> any of the feeds. Attempts to delete have failed.

I can confirm. With today's snapshot (6/17/170 my feeds disappeared.
Had to rebuild them. All mouse functions. I am able to edit and delete.

Since I leave Akregator running when I exit when I rebooted Plasma was
not happy.
I had several dialogue boxes I could not read (empty) pop-up on a black screen.
Once I managed to clear them My regular Plasma desktop appeared.

Steven
--
____________
Apply appropriate technology. Use what works without prejudice.
Steven L Hess ARS KC6KGE DM05gd22
Owner Flex-1500 and Flex-3000 Flex-6300, FT-857D, FT-817ND
927.0875Mhz and 441.125 Repeaters Taft Ca.
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE Plasma with Packman, Leap 42.2
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Akregator looses feed list

Martin Herkt
On 2017 M06 17, Sat 22:30:04 CEST Steven Hess wrote:
> I can confirm. With today's snapshot (6/17/170 my feeds disappeared.
> Had to rebuild them. All mouse functions. I am able to edit and delete.
>
> Since I leave Akregator running when I exit when I rebooted Plasma was
> not happy.
> I had several dialogue boxes I could not read (empty) pop-up on a black
> screen. Once I managed to clear them My regular Plasma desktop appeared.
>
> Steven

Using Akregator through Kontact. Cannot confirm. Everything seems to be fine.

signature.asc (235 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Akregator looses feed list

Robin Klitscher-2
In reply to this post by Christian Boltz-5
On 17/06/17 05:49, Christian Boltz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> since I installed the 20170613 tumbleweed snapshot, Akregator looses/
> breaks its feed list. The only good thing is that the error message
> mentions the exact filename (~/.local/share/akregator/data/feeds.opml) so
> that it's easy to restore from backup ;-)
>
> I had to restore the file twice already. I'm not 100% sure, but I
> wouldn't be surprised if the file gets damaged on logout/shutdown.
>
> After restoring feeds.opml, Akregator can be started normally and shows
> all my feeds.
>
> Is this a known issue or should I open a bugreport?
>

I reported this behaviour on 6 June in the openSUSE-KDE list, but there
was no response.

The system is Leap 42.2, "KDE5/Plasma", Plasma currently at the 5.10
level, though the trouble started with Plasma still at 5.9.  The most
recent Akregator version to behave properly was 17.04.1-22.2.
The errant version currently in use is 17.04.2-24.4.

Except in one case (see below) I get an error on Akregator startup
headed "XML Parsing Error", with a message like "The standard feed list
is corrupted (invalid XML). A backup was created:
~/.local/share/akregator/data//feeds.opml-backup.1496381095".  The
message detail goes on to say "XML parsing error in line 2, column 1 of
~/.local/share/akregator/data//feeds.opml: unexpected end of file".

When all this happens, my original feeds.opml file is replaced by a new
feeds.opml file of only 1 byte, without content.  The promised backup is
not a backup of my original feeds.opml file, but only a copy of that
same blank 1 byte file.  I then have to restore my preferred feeds by
importing a valid previously exported feeds.opml file using the
program's inbuilt export/import utility.

But even when I do that, I can find nothing at line 2, column 1 (nor
anywhere else in the file) that would account for the end-of-file error
message.

Restarting the program after closing it from the main Akregator window's
"File=>Quit" menu item works fine.  But the failure to restart properly
recurs on every occasion when the program is closed by means other than
that - eg using the "Close" button in the titlebar, or closing the
program from the Akregator item in the notification panel, or by logout
or system shutdown while Akregator is running.


--
Robin K
Wellington "Harbour City"
New Zealand
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Akregator looses feed list

chanjp
In reply to this post by Martin Herkt
On Sunday, 18 June 2017 13:24:59 +08 Martin Herkt wrote:

> On 2017 M06 17, Sat 22:30:04 CEST Steven Hess wrote:
> > I can confirm. With today's snapshot (6/17/170 my feeds disappeared.
> > Had to rebuild them. All mouse functions. I am able to edit and delete.
> >
> > Since I leave Akregator running when I exit when I rebooted Plasma was
> > not happy.
> > I had several dialogue boxes I could not read (empty) pop-up on a black
> > screen. Once I managed to clear them My regular Plasma desktop appeared.
> >
> > Steven
>
> Using Akregator through Kontact. Cannot confirm. Everything seems to be
> fine.
I managed to pull up a nearly year old backup of my feed.opml file, and thank
my paranoid self for keeping backups.

But this time, Kontact won't even launch properly. But KMail and Akregator
will launch separately. I am guessing this is growing pains of some kind.

signature.asc (235 bytes) Download Attachment
Loading...