Adding repo

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Adding repo

charles buchanan
I am trying to add this using Yast2 and for the life of me I can not figure
out how to. :-(   I'm following the example on this website which is:

===========

Hello balteo
At first you must Install some lib's then it will work fine
Open the YaST Mangager = Software = Installation source = and
ADD = Http
Server = ftp.skynet.be
Location = pub/packman/suse/10.1/

===========

Now granted it will be 10.2 but I thought I would follow the example to see if
I can get it to add it. Well, even using the above example doesn't seem to
work, nor does using the exact link address on the website, which I thought
should work. Even tried switching between http and ftp, but it's a no go.

I know the answer is probably so simple....

TIA

ftp://opensuse.mirrors.skynet.be/pub/ftp.opensuse.org/opensuse/distribution/openSUSE-current/repo
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adding repo

Carl Hartung
On Sat February 10 2007 11:27, charles buchanan wrote:
<snip>
> ADD = Http
> Server = ftp.skynet.be
> Location = pub/packman/suse/10.1/

Hi Charles,

First, use Konqueror to browse there and confirm a directory for 10.2 exists:

http://ftp.skynet.be/pub/packman/suse/10.2/

(it does)

Next, avoid including leading or trailing slashes when adding installation
sources in YaST. Try it like this:

Add --> http
Server --> ftp.skynet.be
Location --> pub/packman/suse/10.2

hth & regards,

Carl
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adding repo

charles buchanan
On Saturday 10 February 2007 08:50, Carl Hartung wrote:

> On Sat February 10 2007 11:27, charles buchanan wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > ADD = Http
> > Server = ftp.skynet.be
> > Location = pub/packman/suse/10.1/
>
> Hi Charles,
>
> First, use Konqueror to browse there and confirm a directory for 10.2
> exists:
>
> http://ftp.skynet.be/pub/packman/suse/10.2/
>
> (it does)
>
> Next, avoid including leading or trailing slashes when adding installation
> sources in YaST. Try it like this:
>
> Add --> http
> Server --> ftp.skynet.be
> Location --> pub/packman/suse/10.2
>
> hth & regards,
>
> Carl

Didn't I say the answer will probably be simple? <argh> What I was doing was
copying the link address instead of just the type. It worked. (of course)

Thanks Carl!
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adding repo

Bugzilla from rll@felton.felton.ca.us
charles buchanan wrote:

> On Saturday 10 February 2007 08:50, Carl Hartung wrote:
>  
>> On Sat February 10 2007 11:27, charles buchanan wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>>    
>>> ADD = Http
>>> Server = ftp.skynet.be
>>> Location = pub/packman/suse/10.1/
>>>      
>> Hi Charles,
>>
>> First, use Konqueror to browse there and confirm a directory for 10.2
>> exists:
>>
>> http://ftp.skynet.be/pub/packman/suse/10.2/
>>
>> (it does)
>>
>> Next, avoid including leading or trailing slashes when adding installation
>> sources in YaST. Try it like this:
>>
>> Add --> http
>> Server --> ftp.skynet.be
>> Location --> pub/packman/suse/10.2
>>
>> hth & regards,
>>
>> Carl
>>    
>
> Didn't I say the answer will probably be simple? <argh> What I was doing was
> copying the link address instead of just the type. It worked. (of course)
>
> Thanks Carl!
>  
As far as the leading or tailing slashes are concerned it amazes me that
the SUSE folks haven't written the code such that it could be entered
either way.  Parsing the line as entered by the human and assembling
it to the expected input is something a first year computer science guy
can do
with ease.  I think it's called human engineering.  Perhaps this can
be considered for the future.

Cheers,
Bob
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adding repo

Carl Hartung
On Sat February 10 2007 12:55, Robert Lewis wrote:
> As far as the leading or tailing slashes are concerned it amazes me that
> the SUSE folks haven't written the code such that it could be entered
> either way.  Parsing the line as entered by the human and assembling
> it to the expected input is something a first year computer science guy
> can do
> with ease.  I think it's called human engineering.  Perhaps this can
> be considered for the future.

That's why it's called "Open Source" ;-) Give it a whirl!

OTOH, a reasonable argument can be made that it makes sense to "strictly"
enforce an exact format. Think of the damage that could be done allowing an
incorrect installation source? <shiver!>

Carl
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adding repo

Bugzilla from rll@felton.felton.ca.us
In reply to this post by Bugzilla from rll@felton.felton.ca.us
charles buchanan wrote:

>> On Saturday 10 February 2007 08:50, Carl Hartung wrote:
>>  
>>    
>>> On Sat February 10 2007 11:27, charles buchanan wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>>    
>>>      
>>>> ADD = Http
>>>> Server = ftp.skynet.be
>>>> Location = pub/packman/suse/10.1/
>>>>      
>>>>        
>>> Hi Charles,
>>>
>>> First, use Konqueror to browse there and confirm a directory for 10.2
>>> exists:
>>>
>>> http://ftp.skynet.be/pub/packman/suse/10.2/
>>>
>>> (it does)
>>>
>>> Next, avoid including leading or trailing slashes when adding installation
>>> sources in YaST. Try it like this:
>>>
>>> Add --> http
>>> Server --> ftp.skynet.be
>>> Location --> pub/packman/suse/10.2
>>>
>>> hth & regards,
>>>
>>> Carl
>>>    
>>>      
>> Didn't I say the answer will probably be simple? <argh> What I was doing was
>> copying the link address instead of just the type. It worked. (of course)
>>
>> Thanks Carl!
>>  
>>    
> As far as the leading or tailing slashes are concerned it amazes me that
> the SUSE folks haven't written the code such that it could be entered
> either way.  Parsing the line as entered by the human and assembling
> it to the expected input is something a first year computer science guy
> can do
> with ease.  I think it's called human engineering.  Perhaps this can
> be considered for the future.
>
> Cheers,
> Bob
>  
and, furthermore, why can't it just be one line?
e.g.http://ftp.skynet.be/pub/packman/suse/10.2/
Why do *I* have to pick ftp, http, https, etc ???
Why do *I* have to split the url into three pieces ???

Carl recommends :
 "First, use Konqueror to browse there and confirm a directory for 10.2
exists:"

So why can't I just paste the url into the yast screen.
Make it easy for me.

I guess an enhancement request is in my future.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adding repo

Scott Jones-6
On Saturday 10 February 2007, Robert Lewis wrote:


> So why can't I just paste the url into the yast screen.
> Make it easy for me.

You can.  Add -> "Specify URL..." then paste in the URL, or at the command
line, zypper sa URL.

> I guess an enhancement request is in my future.

They're already ahead of you there.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adding repo

Bugzilla from rll@felton.felton.ca.us
Scott Jones wrote:

> On Saturday 10 February 2007, Robert Lewis wrote:
>
>
>  
>> So why can't I just paste the url into the yast screen.
>> Make it easy for me.
>>    
>
> You can.  Add -> "Specify URL..." then paste in the URL, or at the command
> line, zypper sa URL.
>
>  
>> I guess an enhancement request is in my future.
>>    
>
> They're already ahead of you there.
>  
Thank's Scott, I never noticed that before but there it was right where
you said.
If you have time expand on "They're already ahead of you there." if
there is more
to be said than your already valuable insights.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adding repo

Scott Jones-6
On Saturday 10 February 2007, Robert Lewis wrote:

> Scott Jones wrote:
> >> I guess an enhancement request is in my future.
> >
> > They're already ahead of you there.
>
> Thank's Scott, I never noticed that before but there it was right where
> you said.
> If you have time expand on "They're already ahead of you there." if
> there is more
> to be said than your already valuable insights.

I meant as far as being able to add the entire URL in one shot.  No need to
file an enhancement request for that, since that feature already exists.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adding repo

Mike McMullin
In reply to this post by Bugzilla from rll@felton.felton.ca.us
On Sat, 2007-02-10 at 16:29 -0800, Robert Lewis wrote:

> charles buchanan wrote:
> >> On Saturday 10 February 2007 08:50, Carl Hartung wrote:
> >>  
> >>    
> >>> On Sat February 10 2007 11:27, charles buchanan wrote:
> >>> <snip>
> >>>
> >>>    
> >>>      
> >>>> ADD = Http
> >>>> Server = ftp.skynet.be
> >>>> Location = pub/packman/suse/10.1/
> >>>>      
> >>>>        
> >>> Hi Charles,
> >>>
> >>> First, use Konqueror to browse there and confirm a directory for 10.2
> >>> exists:
> >>>
> >>> http://ftp.skynet.be/pub/packman/suse/10.2/
> >>>
> >>> (it does)
> >>>
> >>> Next, avoid including leading or trailing slashes when adding installation
> >>> sources in YaST. Try it like this:
> >>>
> >>> Add --> http
> >>> Server --> ftp.skynet.be
> >>> Location --> pub/packman/suse/10.2
> >>>
> >>> hth & regards,
> >>>
> >>> Carl
> >>>    
> >>>      
> >> Didn't I say the answer will probably be simple? <argh> What I was doing was
> >> copying the link address instead of just the type. It worked. (of course)
> >>
> >> Thanks Carl!
> >>  
> >>    
> > As far as the leading or tailing slashes are concerned it amazes me that
> > the SUSE folks haven't written the code such that it could be entered
> > either way.  Parsing the line as entered by the human and assembling
> > it to the expected input is something a first year computer science guy
> > can do
> > with ease.  I think it's called human engineering.  Perhaps this can
> > be considered for the future.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Bob
> >  
> and, furthermore, why can't it just be one line?
> e.g.http://ftp.skynet.be/pub/packman/suse/10.2/
> Why do *I* have to pick ftp, http, https, etc ???
> Why do *I* have to split the url into three pieces ???
>
> Carl recommends :
>  "First, use Konqueror to browse there and confirm a directory for 10.2
> exists:"
>
> So why can't I just paste the url into the yast screen.
> Make it easy for me.
>
> I guess an enhancement request is in my future.

  Actually I have done that on 10.2, in the add sources module, using an
URL was an option at the bottom of types page.

 

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]