Adding liquidshell to KDE:Extra

Martin Koller
Hi,

I'd like to request the addition of liquidshell to KDE:Extra

liquidshell is a basic Desktop Shell implemented using QtWidgets.
It's an alternative to plasmashell
(I am the author)

The code is now hosted in KDE extragear repository
https://github.com/KDE/liquidshell

I'm currently already building it on OBS here:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:martinkoller/liquidshell

Thanks
--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin
A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion
Q: Why is top posting bad?

/\                        - against proprietary attachments

Geschenkideen, Accessoires, Seifen, Kulinarisches: www.lillehus.at

Re: Adding liquidshell to KDE:Extra

Luca Beltrame
In data sabato 8 giugno 2019 14:09:42 CEST, Martin Koller ha scritto:

Hello,

> I'd like to request the addition of liquidshell to KDE:Extra

At least from my point of view, there are some issues I'd like solved and / or
clarified:

- Personally, I am only fine with liquidshell being in KDE:Extra and not in
the main distro. I would also like to have assurance on long-term maintenance
(and receiving possible bug reports).

- I am not fine with it being marketed as a replacement for plasmashell.

> The code is now hosted in KDE extragear repository
> https://github.com/KDE/liquidshell

FTR, this is not the canonical URL for the source repository (just to make
sure the right URL is in the package).

--
Luca Beltrame
GPG key ID:  A29D259B

Re: Adding liquidshell to KDE:Extra

Christophe Giboudeaux-2

On samedi 8 juin 2019 14:09:42 CEST Martin Koller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to request the addition of liquidshell to KDE:Extra
>
> liquidshell is a basic Desktop Shell implemented using QtWidgets.
> It's an alternative to plasmashell
> (I am the author)
>
> The code is now hosted in KDE extragear repository
> https://github.com/KDE/liquidshell
>
> I'm currently already building it on OBS here:
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:martinkoller/liquidshell

After reading again the discussion on the KDE mailing list and having a look
at your package, it's not ready for the KDE:Extra repository (nor any other).

First the package issues:
- liquidshell is nowhere close to be a "replacement" (as your .spec file
claims) or an alternative to plasmashell.
- Users don't care if it's using QtWidgets or QtQuick.
I strongly suggest rethinking the branding and updating the documentation.

- the current spec file doesn't match the openSUSE standards, start with
running spec-cleaner.

- while at it, also remove the fedora and mandriva compatibility lines. I
doubt this spec file can build anything for these distributions.
- the license tag is also wrong, liquidshell is GPL-3.0-or-later.

Now on the software itself:
I recommend readers of this mailing list to avoid installing this application
but I won't block it if you maintain it and deal with the bug reports.

I'll object to have it submitted to openSUSE:Factory, however.

Christophe

On Samstag, 8. Juni 2019 15:36:48 CEST Luca Beltrame wrote:
> In data sabato 8 giugno 2019 14:09:42 CEST, Martin Koller ha scritto:

> - I am not fine with it being marketed as a replacement for plasmashell.

Ah - that discussion again ...

ok, then please suggest a wording which makes clear that one can use
liquidshell instead of plasmashell, please.
(I just want to make clear that it's not an application which can/should
be run _inside_ a plasmashell session)

--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin
A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion
Q: Why is top posting bad?

/\                        - against proprietary attachments

Geschenkideen, Accessoires, Seifen, Kulinarisches: www.lillehus.at

Re: Adding liquidshell to KDE:Extra

Fabian Vogt-2

Am Samstag, 8. Juni 2019, 14:09:42 CEST schrieb Martin Koller:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to request the addition of liquidshell to KDE:Extra

Sure! Just make a submit request.

> liquidshell is a basic Desktop Shell implemented using QtWidgets.
> It's an alternative to plasmashell
> (I am the author)
>
> The code is now hosted in KDE extragear repository
> https://github.com/KDE/liquidshell
>
> I'm currently already building it on OBS here:
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:martinkoller/liquidshell

I agree on the points Luca and Christophe made, the Summary and Description
need to be reworded ("Basic desktop shell using Qt" maybe?) and the .spec file
improved.

Other than that, with the promise that you'll take care of the package I don't
see any issue with submitting it to oS:F though.
Packages which aren't suitable for oS:F aren't suitable for K:E either.

Cheers,
Fabian

On Samstag, 8. Juni 2019 16:04:28 CEST Christophe Giboudeaux wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On samedi 8 juin 2019 14:09:42 CEST Martin Koller wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to request the addition of liquidshell to KDE:Extra
> >
> > liquidshell is a basic Desktop Shell implemented using QtWidgets.
> > It's an alternative to plasmashell
> > (I am the author)
> >
> > The code is now hosted in KDE extragear repository
> > https://github.com/KDE/liquidshell
> >
> > I'm currently already building it on OBS here:
> > https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:martinkoller/liquidshell
>
> After reading again the discussion on the KDE mailing list and having a look
> at your package, it's not ready for the KDE:Extra repository (nor any other).
>
> First the package issues:
> - liquidshell is nowhere close to be a "replacement" (as your .spec file
> claims) or an alternative to plasmashell.

I modified the spec file to say
"Basic Desktop Shell leveraging KDE Frameworks libraries"

> - the current spec file doesn't match the openSUSE standards, start with
> running spec-cleaner.

> - while at it, also remove the fedora and mandriva compatibility lines. I
> doubt this spec file can build anything for these distributions.
> - the license tag is also wrong, liquidshell is GPL-3.0-or-later.

fixed

> Now on the software itself:
> I recommend readers of this mailing list to avoid installing this application

nice. Thanks for the warm welcome!

--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin
A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion

On Samstag, 8. Juni 2019 18:36:29 CEST Fabian Vogt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Samstag, 8. Juni 2019, 14:09:42 CEST schrieb Martin Koller:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to request the addition of liquidshell to KDE:Extra
>
> Sure! Just make a submit request.

https://build.opensuse.org/project/requests/KDE:Extra
just shows requests but does not let me create one.

how ?

--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin
A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion

Am Samstag, 8. Juni 2019, 19:42:23 CEST schrieb Martin Koller:

> On Samstag, 8. Juni 2019 18:36:29 CEST Fabian Vogt wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Am Samstag, 8. Juni 2019, 14:09:42 CEST schrieb Martin Koller:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'd like to request the addition of liquidshell to KDE:Extra
> >
> > Sure! Just make a submit request.
>
> https://build.opensuse.org/project/requests/KDE:Extra
> just shows requests but does not let me create one.
>
> how ?

Go to the page of the source package and click on "Submit package".

Cheers,
Fabian

In data sabato 8 giugno 2019 17:56:53 CEST, Martin Koller ha scritto:

> ok, then please suggest a wording which makes clear that one can use
> liquidshell instead of plasmashell, please.

"A Qt5 based desktop shell"?

--
Luca Beltrame
GPG key ID:  A29D259B

Re: Adding liquidshell to KDE:Extra

Klaas Freitag
Am 08.06.19 um 21:30 schrieb Luca Beltrame:
> In data sabato 8 giugno 2019 17:56:53 CEST, Martin Koller ha scritto:
>
>> ok, then please suggest a wording which makes clear that one can use
>> liquidshell instead of plasmashell, please.
>
> "A Qt5 based desktop shell"?
> Hmm, why is it important that it is Qt5 based? Why not saying what is
(supposed to be) cool about it:

"A simple yet powerful desktop shell that comes with limited hardware
requirements - the raising star of tomorrows desktops"... or so. (The
last part is optional ;-)

I might not be deep enough in here, but why is the topic so frosty?
Wasn't this all about choice, and collaboration also on alternatives? I
love to read technical discussions why Muh is better than Meh but there
was some different tune here.

Klaas

In data sabato 8 giugno 2019 21:40:08 CEST, Klaas Freitag ha scritto:

> I might not be deep enough in here, but why is the topic so frosty?
> Wasn't this all about choice, and collaboration also on alternatives? I

It is not (at least to me) about liquidshell in particular, but for adding new
software.  In the past KDE:Extra has been  (and in part, unfortunately, still
is) a kind of a dumping ground for all sorts of software.

In addition, I want to be sure that whoever submits new packages (and as far
as I can tell Martin is actually willing to do so) also handles  the bug
reports that might land in (sounds obvious, but it isn't). And a desktop shell
is bound to get more than some other utility with a narrower scope.

--
Luca Beltrame - KDE Forums team
GPG key ID: A29D259B